Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2017, 09:09 AM   #1

Camp hosting

Has anyone ever done any camp hosting/volunteering at a state park? Looking to host next summer in VT it's 30 hrs a week. What's the good the bad and the ugly of camp hosting especially in a state campground?
Briansi52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2017, 09:41 AM   #2

My wife did not like cleaning the pit toilets. Thirty hours is quite a lot for a state park. That is almost a full-time job and I am retired.
halfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 10:35 AM   #3

We have a friend that does it. She has worked at several parks in the south and south west. From the pictures she posted and her reports about them, sounded like something to consider doing.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 11:11 AM   #4

Well it's 30 hrs between 2 people and it's mostly registering campers
Old 07-17-2017, 11:35 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briansi52 View Post
Well it's 30 hrs between 2 people and it's mostly registering campers
That doesn't sound bad to me. I wouldn't want to do bathrooms.
Old 07-17-2017, 03:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.G. View Post
That doesn't sound bad to me. I wouldn't want to do bathrooms.
We all Know the DH does the Bathrooms . ........

At least where we Camp.
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 03:31 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Back about 5-6 years ago when at a VT. State Park (Lake St. Catherine) while asking a question about camp hosting, they said their camp host just left and if I wanted the job. (Couldn't because was not retired yet)

From hear say, the summer help collage kids said the the camp host who left was treating them badly. I don't know if it was just there where they had collage kids doing a lot of the jobs and the camp host was in charge of them. I know the collage kids had housing onsite.

We love the VT. state parks and try to go up there every 3-4 years. From what I recall I'll see them ( camp hosts) cleaning / raking sites, organizing the recycled and manning the check in station.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 09:33 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfwright View Post
... Thirty hours is quite a lot for a state park. That is almost a full-time job and I am retired.
Agree. It's not always about the numbers, but, 30 hours a week at $10 an hour puts a value of $1200 a month for the campsite. Seems kinda expensive.

Larry
Old 07-18-2017, 09:49 AM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
You have to ask yourself: I'm I looking for a job with income, our I just want to give back to my state my time to as a volunteer and a free camp site is just a added plus.

The trend I see in our state (Ohio) are VIP's who live close by, and park their RV's at the local state park campground and might be there Thursday to Sunday.

I have talked about this with my wife something I might want to do when I retire in short stints (2-4 week periods) but she has no interest in that.

We have volunteered the last 10 years manning our high school concession stand. With some weekends serving 3 games. Only perk is I get free coffee or Mocha's. (or left over pizza...)
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 12:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
You have to ask yourself: I'm I looking for a job with income, our I just want to give back to my state my time to as a volunteer and a free camp site is just a added plus.
So true! We've done a lot of volunteering off and on in national and state parks and never once calculated what our time was in dollars. That's not why we volunteered and I would say that's not why most volunteers volunteer.

We wanted to give something back to the kinds of parks we enjoy. Budgets are always cut in these parks and the park employees cannot do everything. Volunteers are really appreciated and they treat you better than a paid employee might be treated.

By the way.... we've never had to clean toilets. Each park is different. Check your duties before you commit.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 01:30 PM   #11

No toilets.....mostly registration.
Old 07-18-2017, 09:34 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by lac0908 View Post
Agree. It's not always about the numbers, but, 30 hours a week at $10 an hour puts a value of $1200 a month for the campsite. Seems kinda expensive.

Larry
It's volunteering, not a job with commensurate compensation.
2013 Leisure Travel Vans Unity U24MB, 635 watts solar, 440 AH batteries, 2000 watt inverter, Koni struts and shocks, Hellwig rear anti-swaybar, SumoSprings front and back, 2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox baseplates, Aladdin towbar and Patriot
jackfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 09:36 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by lac0908 View Post

Larry

Currently at Luckiamute Landing State Natural Area, between Albany and Buena Vista, Oregon.
2013 Leisure Travel Vans Unity U24MB, 635 watts solar, 440 AH batteries, 2000 watt inverter, Koni struts and shocks, Hellwig rear anti-swaybar, SumoSprings front and back, 2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox baseplates, Aladdin towbar and Patriot
jackfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 07:09 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackfish View Post
Didn't say it was... time has value and it differs for each individual.

To the OP, 30 hours a week can easily become 35 to 40 hours due to circumstances out of your control. A lot will depend on how well the park is managed and your fellow camp hosts.

Larry