Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-01-2012, 05:54 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Campground around the thousand islands, N.Y.

Hi everyone, I am looking for a campground in the thousand island that has cabins, or maybe a motel near by. We also need a campground that will accept big rigs.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2012, 06:32 PM   #2

We personally have never been but I have researched this for a future trip.

Might want to look at Wellesley Island State Park, they have cottages for rent also.

Look at their virtual tours. Link

Here is what RV Park Reviews says. Link

Best of luck with your finds.
Bug512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 06:40 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Here is a island on the lake and near 1000 island attractions.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:36 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007";1100687]Here is a [B][URL="http://www.associationislandresort.com/
island on the lake[/URL][/B] and near 1000 island attractions.
I hear that it is a beautiful resort, but it is at least an hour drive to the 1000 Islands.
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:14 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You might start here Visit 1000 Islands : Virtual Travel Guide : Thousand Islands Tourism Council : Business Directory
We prefer the state parks, so if you click on one you will go to the nys state park system and can search for the location you want.
This is a truly beautiful area.
Old 03-11-2012, 09:40 PM   #6
Foz

Wellesley Island State Park is nice. Stayed there many times as we used to live in NY. You will need to cross the bridge on I-81 onto the island (toll going North). There are also other state parks on Rt 12 on the mainland such as Keywadin, Grassy Point, as well as some private parks. Wellesley is by far the best!

Plenty to do in summer, fishing, boat tours, shopping at small shops in Clayton & Alexandria Bay. Stop at Cavalarrios Pizza or Captain Thompson's in Alex bay....both are decent food.

We will be there in June to visit family...........beautiful area & if you need larger stores there is a mall & some chain restaurants in Watertown about 20 miles south on I-81.
Old 03-26-2012, 01:09 PM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
Close to Watertown appx 40 min from the thousand islands is association island resort now a KOA. Excellent place, Campground and marina. Check them out, rated 5 diamonds by Woodalls
Boubou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:43 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Association Island is also a very good campground. It is located near Henderson harbor on lake Ontario about 40 minutes south of Alexandria Bay. AI is an island in the bay and has sites for all kinds of camping - I have a class A and liked staying on the bay side right on the water. Sackets Harbor is about 15 minutes north of the campground, really nice in the summer.
Yankee Glen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:57 AM   #9
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee Glen
Association Island is also a very good campground. It is located near Henderson harbor on lake Ontario about 40 minutes south of Alexandria Bay. AI is an island in the bay and has sites for all kinds of camping - I have a class A and liked staying on the bay side right on the water. Sackets Harbor is about 15 minutes north of the campground, really nice in the summer.
Ditto. We went there last July and didn't plan on staying. We ended up spending 9 weeks there. There are some negatives , but the positives outweighed them for us.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 02:39 PM   #10

We stayed at Association Island and really liked it. We then moved over to Merry Knoll in Clayton. It's closer to the 1000 Islands area and attractions.
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:01 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
We stayed at Merry Knoll and liked it. I liked the location. I thought Association Island was the nicer campground but further away.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:24 AM   #12

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanJH
We stayed at Association Island and really liked it. We then moved over to Merry Knoll in Clayton. It's closer to the 1000 Islands area and attractions.
I would like to thank everyone for their suggestions. My wife has resourced them all and has decided on Association Island. Thanks again.
Old 03-30-2012, 06:20 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Association Island was not a KOA when I was there. If you go stay on the harbor side in the far loop past the marina. The seaweed comes in on the lake side and can smell. The wind is higher on the lake side. I stayed there during a lightning storm it was awesome to see across the harbor- sitting on the bay on a warm summer night is an experience you never forget.

Check out Tin Pan Galley in Sacketts Harbor. Excellent outside dinning in warm weather
Old 03-30-2012, 09:13 PM   #14

Come north and see the wild Canadians!!
Two KOA camp grounds just north of the international bridge.
Ivy Lea KOA
Mallorytown KOA

Tags
campground