Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2019, 06:05 AM   #1

Campground Close to Newmar/Nappanee, IN?

I will be passing though this area next fall and I want to take a tour of the Newmar plant.

What (if any) campgrounds are close enough to do this? I know Newmar has their own campground for service, but I want to make sure 100% that I have a spot.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2019, 03:23 PM   #2

Friends have stayed at Elkhart Campground at few times.

Camping in Elkhart, IN | Elkhart Campground

Also at Elkhart Fairgrounds but check that there's not anything going on at the time. They have the fair and also rallies.

Another is Pla Mor Campground

We always stayed at Camp Newmar!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 03:32 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Friends have stayed at Elkhart Campground at few times.

Camping in Elkhart, IN | Elkhart Campground

Also at Elkhart Fairgrounds but check that there's not anything going on at the time. They have the fair and also rallies.

Another is Pla Mor Campground

We always stayed at Camp Newmar!
It looks like Camp Newmar will be our best option. I was looking for something more dog friendly and instead of just a big parking lot. I also was wanting something I could reserve and not worry about getting a spot.
Old 01-25-2019, 04:01 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
There is a large CG on the same side of the highway and just west of the Newmar factory. We stayed there when we visited the factory and it was nice and spacious. Sorry, can't remember the name.

Found the name...Pla-Mor CG.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 07:56 PM   #5

I checked out Pla-mor and this may work for what I need.
Old 01-27-2019, 06:53 AM   #6

I'm leaning toward Maple Ridge Campground when I go up 3rd week of April. I have to start locking down my travel dates and start booking - some places won't even be open when I will be there, so I can't book yet.

I'm not sure if you're going for service or just passing through. If you don't have a service date you can't get into the new Camp Newmar although they said that they will leave the old CG intact for people passing through.

There was some good answers in this thread I started http://www.irv2.com/forums/f38/campi...ml#post4494142
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 08:50 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKins View Post
I'm leaning toward Maple Ridge Campground when I go up 3rd week of April. I have to start locking down my travel dates and start booking - some places won't even be open when I will be there, so I can't book yet.

Well after reading the reviews I guess I'll keep looking. Weird, it's like people were reviewing different CGs, but I'll pass.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
Old 01-27-2019, 10:59 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Depending on how long you are staying I would suggest staying in Shipshewana there is more to do in my opinion and we stayed at Elkhart Campground it is next to the fairgrounds campground I did not like the fairgrounds campground.
Old 01-28-2019, 05:03 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
Depending on how long you are staying I would suggest staying in Shipshewana there is more to do in my opinion and we stayed at Elkhart Campground it is next to the fairgrounds campground I did not like the fairgrounds campground.
Thanks for the suggestion. I found the Elkhart CG but it is not anywhere near the fairgrounds - it's on the other side of town. Looks good though.

Edit: After reading reviews on rvparky, found that the water there is very rusty and tastes bad - so I'll pass.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
Old 01-28-2019, 05:38 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKins View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. I found the Elkhart CG but it is not anywhere near the fairgrounds - it's on the other side of town. Looks good though.

I was mistaken I was thinking of something else.
Old 01-28-2019, 05:41 AM   #11

The fairgrounds is a good spot but is loud from the trains, out in Shipsweanna there is both the Shipsweanna North & South campground and also the one at the flea market, they just added a lot of sites and are mostly busy the days the flea market is open, Tue & Wed.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 07:14 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Hi reubenray,
You have the three best choices in the area already posted.
1. Shipshewana North or South, take your pick.
2. Elkhart County 4H Fair Grounds go to RV Camping at the Elkhart County 4-H Fairgrounds for information.

Like posted earlier the fair grounds is the best choice if there are no events going on. Otherwise Shipshewana is a very good choice. Been to all of these many times. Shipshewana is close to Blue Gate and Das Dutchman Essenhaus restaurants. Both have local theater onsite. When in Nappanee, stop by the Dutch Kitchen for breakfast. You will not regret it. In Napanne is Amish Acres restaurant. They have a local theater on site.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 08:17 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
I was mistaken I was thinking of something else.

Shipshewana So is roomier than No. I have a small list of some good pull thru sites. 27-30 with 28 being my favorite.
Old 01-30-2019, 06:15 AM   #14

I found a nice little CG, Hoffman Lake Campground and after looking at the CG via Google Earth, emailed them and asked a few questions, like could they handle a 40ft class A plus towed and if their water was rusty and they replied:

"Hello!

We do advertise as being big enough to handle large units.
The past couple years I have learned this is strictly dependent on the skill of the driver. We are an older campground. The roads are narrow. We did have a large class A get stuck at our exit gate last year. They scraped the steel post down the side of their camper with 10 foot of space on the driver side…
I do not want to say we are capable of handling huge units and new drivers.
With that being said, I have campers come in from out of state who choose us continually with 5th wheel units from 38 foot to 42 foot long. They have been able to enter and exit the park every summer now for the past few years without any issue.

Yes our water is from a well. Yes we have rust.

Yes there is sewer hook up.

"
I thought that was a very honest answer.

The water in this entire area worries me - don't want to have to carry a lot of spare water filter cartridges. I read the reviews of the CGs in about a 35mile radius and the rust problem is everywhere.

I wonder if a 20micron filter on the hose bib input will remove some of the rust and follow that with a 1 micron followed by a .5 micron carbon for taste will tackle this rust issue? Or I could fill my water tank up, down by the "Caves" in KY on the previous days stop?
'08 Jeep GC Overland.

Tags
campground, newmar