Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-29-2019, 10:09 AM   #15

The NCM Motorsports Park, built by the National Corvette Museum, is pretty busy. Sometimes there are cars on the race track while an autocross is conducted in the parking lot. https://motorsportspark.org/events/

BTW, this has nothing to do with IROC. That was the old International Race Of Champions series run on several different tracks but it ended decades ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanukalum View Post
Don't believe there is racing on a consistent basis, it depends if an event is scheduled. There is also an IROC road race track near the corvette plant/ museum. Don't pass on Mammoth Cave National Park, Teenagers might groan at first but will love it.
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2019, 07:04 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Schweikle View Post
The NCM Motorsports Park, built by the National Corvette Museum, is pretty busy. Sometimes there are cars on the race track while an autocross is conducted in the parking lot. https://motorsportspark.org/events/

BTW, this has nothing to do with IROC. That was the old International Race Of Champions series run on several different tracks but it ended decades ago.
My bad, just showing my age! "IROC" used only to distinguish the racetrack from the old(historical) "figure 8" "demolishen derby" stock car track at Beach Bend.
Fanukalum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 05:48 AM   #17

We like Land Between the Lakes National Recreation Area and have stayed at Hillman's Ferry campground several times. In the Nashville area we like Seven Points COE campground.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 06:28 AM   #18

Well, talking about historical, did you know that the first camping world store was in Bowling Green?. I bought a generator & roof air for our first motorhome there in 1978

Quote:
My bad, just showing my age! "IROC" used only to distinguish the racetrack from the old(historical) "figure 8" "demolishen derby" stock car track at Beach Bend.
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 12:14 PM   #19

All through George..........thanks! These are all excellent ideas.
ualdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 12:31 PM   #20

Quote:
Well, talking about historical, did you know that the first camping world store was in Bowling Green?. I bought a generator & roof air for our first motorhome there in 1978
Yes , the whole idea of Camping World came about at Beach Bend Park when mired in mud at the campground along the river after days of rain. A wagon load of supplies pulled by a tractor were hauled in. From there, a shanty store was setup rest is history.
Old 10-30-2019, 08:07 PM   #21

Quote:

Took them awhile to get back to BG.
RWDJR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 07:48 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdracr39 View Post
Beech Bend in Bowling Green Kentucky is nice. There is an amusement park, Splash Park , and of course the Corvette Museum and Factory tour.
I showed my kids this Beech Bend campground and it is their first choice. However, I just read the reviews and they are pretty bad. No reservations, no marked sites, 50amp electricity sprinkled in random areas, low voltage from plugs, backed up sewer. Have you been there lately? I want to like the place, but it doesn't look like a place that is very motorhome friendly?
Old 11-03-2019, 01:16 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ualdriver View Post
I showed my kids this Beech Bend campground and it is their first choice. However, I just read the reviews and they are pretty bad. No reservations, no marked sites, 50amp electricity sprinkled in random areas, low voltage from plugs, backed up sewer. Have you been there lately? I want to like the place, but it doesn't look like a place that is very motorhome friendly?
I lived in BG for 50+ years and as a kid I loved Beach Bend Park but to be honest with you the campgrounds never have been much other than real inexpensive. With a little bit of rain your quickly in mud and power was always suspect. The CW/GM store is now way on the other side of town along with most any other store you might want.
The KOA at BG is not bad but is overpriced. The CGs north of BG, near Mammoth Cave NP would be a better choice IMHO.(excluding the KOA at Park City)
Old 11-03-2019, 07:34 PM   #24

Quote:
I lived in BG for 50+ years and as a kid I loved Beach Bend Park but to be honest with you the campgrounds never have been much other than real inexpensive. With a little bit of rain your quickly in mud and power was always suspect. The CW/GM store is now way on the other side of town along with most any other store you might want.
The KOA at BG is not bad but is overpriced. The CGs north of BG, near Mammoth Cave NP would be a better choice IMHO.(excluding the KOA at Park City)
Cool. Will check those out. Thanks. I think we're going to skip on that Beach Bend Park. Too bad they don't caretake it better.
Old 11-04-2019, 07:30 AM   #25

The KOA is in Horse Cave, Cave Country RV is in Cave City.
RWDJR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 11:46 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWDJR. View Post
The KOA is in Horse Cave, Cave Country RV is in Cave City.
your right, it is Horse Cave. For some reason I always got those two exits mixed up. My apologies to Park City.
Old 11-04-2019, 03:57 PM   #27

I'm the OP. For my half way point, I ended up booking at Cave Country Campground next to Mammoth Cave National Park. Enterprise Rent-a-Car picks up at the campground as a nice bonus and the campground has good reviews with full hook-ups. As suggested above, Bowling Green isn't too far away and we plan on visiting all the Corvette stuff (museum, factory, race track), along with the National Park.

Thanks for all the advice!

Cave Country RV Campground Good Sam Park
Old 11-04-2019, 05:06 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ualdriver View Post
I'm the OP. For my half way point, I ended up booking at Cave Country Campground next to Mammoth Cave National Park. Enterprise Rent-a-Car picks up at the campground as a nice bonus and the campground has good reviews with full hook-ups. As suggested above, Bowling Green isn't too far away and we plan on visiting all the Corvette stuff (museum, factory, race track), along with the National Park.

Thanks for all the advice!

Cave Country RV Campground Good Sam Park
y'all have a great time, I certainly think you made some good choices!
Would love to hear a post trip followup

Tags
campground