Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-28-2019, 03:38 AM   #1

Campground recommendations, half-way between Chicago and Pensacola?

Hello-

Next summer we're going to be driving our 33' RV from the Chicago area to Pensacola. We're looking for a good campground to stop at for maybe two or three days that would be roughly half way between Chicago and Pensacola. Nashville is about half way, but we've camped in the Nashville area already last year, so we're looking for some place different.

We'll be travelling with teenagers who would need to be entertained with something- hiking and/or boating and/or interesting sightseeing, etc.

Thanks!
ualdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2019, 04:48 AM   #2

Hi and welcome aboard.
I would suggest a stop in Memphis, TN if you have not done so.
Tom Sawyer's Mississippi River RV Park is an interesting stop. It is located on the banks of the Mississippi River where you can watch the barges go up and down with their cargo. The park has a large area for walking or riding a bike and Memphis is not far from the park. Many different things to do in Memphis and some great barbecue restaurants. Good place to stop for a couple of days.
RoaminRichards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 05:03 AM   #3

What route are you taking down from Chicago? We live in the Nashville area and if you have not been here in 3 or 4 years it really has changed (we moved here in 2004)... There is plenty to see and do in this area.

How long are you staying or is it just overnight? Will you have a Toad? That will make a difference as to activities!

What type of entertainment do the kids like?

We live in Lebanon which is just 20 miles East of Nashville....
davidki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 05:24 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Beech Bend in Bowling Green Kentucky is nice. There is an amusement park, Splash Park , and of course the Corvette Museum and Factory tour.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 06:09 AM   #5

I believe the factory tours at the corvette plant are stopped while they were changing to the new model and most recent strike, You would have to check that for sure.... Here is what I found.

https://www.corvettemuseum.org/visit/plant-tours/
Old 10-28-2019, 07:34 AM   #6

This is a little further but closer to your destination. There’s a campground on site.

https://www.rocketcenter.com
RWDJR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 01:23 PM   #7

All through RWDJr.......Thanks! These are all really excellent recommendations and I am going to look at every single one. Much appreciate everyone's advice.

Davidki- to answer your questions, we stayed at Nashville Shores two years ago and visited greater Nashville (loved it! Wish I could move to TN) and then last year we did Pigeon Forge for a week. We don't have a toad but usually rent a car when we get to our destination, or use Uber/Lyft if we plan just occasional jaunts out of the campground area. We're planning on heading straight south out of Chicago, but will deviate a reasonable distance from a direct route for a worthy destination midway-ish. The kids are typical teenagers......art museums NO. Hiking, biking, amusement parks, boating, beaches, etc., YES.

If anyone else has any other suggestions, please do post. I'm still here. Thanks!
Old 10-28-2019, 05:00 PM   #8

Ualdriver, I have had friends with kids stay and enjoy Nashville shores, I also know that there are a few places over by the Grand Ole Opry but I find those not as interesting.

Nashville is growing too much for me, but that is why we moved to Lebanon:-)

If your kids are really in to music, Nashville is great, if your in to Civil War History, there is lots around here...

Someone mentioned Beach Bend park, you may want to check it out for the Amusement Park aspect...
Old 10-28-2019, 07:12 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdracr39 View Post
Beech Bend in Bowling Green Kentucky is nice. There is an amusement park, Splash Park , and of course the Corvette Museum and Factory tour.
Do you know anything about that dragstrip next to the Campground? Do they have regular activities during the summer? We'll probably be there during weekdays in June if we go to that Campground. So far, that's the frontrunner with the kids : )
Old 10-28-2019, 07:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ualdriver View Post
Do you know anything about that dragstrip next to the Campground? Do they have regular activities during the summer? We'll probably be there during weekdays in June if we go to that Campground. So far, that's the frontrunner with the kids : )
Don't believe there is racing on a consistent basis, it depends if an event is scheduled. There is also an IROC road race track near the corvette plant/ museum. Don't pass on Mammoth Cave National Park, Teenagers might groan at first but will love it.
Fanukalum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 04:45 AM   #11

Whatever route you decide upon, my suggestion is to avoid Birmingham, AL if at all possible. There is lots of road construction in the area at present. I-65 is a mess! Many detours with delays and the road is rough. I was through that area in June and wished I had not gone that way. New Interchange under construction at I-20/I-65.
RoaminRichards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 05:46 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
not sure about in between but once in penscola 5 flags is great place to stay i am here til dec 1
Old 10-29-2019, 07:19 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ualdriver View Post

If your thinking about Bowling Green, staying in Cave City isn’t to far from there. There’s a Yogi Bear Campground with a swim park, and a few other things to do. Plus there’s Mammoth Cave and the park itself exit 53. When the start of the season comes, the drag strip usually posts the years events on its website. June is pretty busy, weekdays are mostly test and tune. The road track is on the east side of 65 at exit 28. They do offer lessons from outside sources set up in advance. Seen where they were running Mazda Miata’s. The Corvette “Museum “ is just on the other side of 65. Barren River Lake State Park is just 40 minutes from 65. They have 4 campgrounds around the lake. The Narrows Campground is within walking distance to the dock to rent boats. The State Park Campground is near the state dock. They also rent jet skis.
RWDJR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 10:04 AM   #14
doc

Appalachian Campers
Duck Creek RV Prk, Paducah, KY. Good place to overnite just off the interstate. FHU. Not a resort but just right for travelers. Staff is very nice. Have stayed there several times over the years
doc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground