Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2022, 05:50 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Campground RV Length Limitations

We are considering moving to a larger Class A RV. However, we have been told that most state and national parks (which we love to frequent) have very few, if any, spaces to accommodate RVs over 35ft.

I am hoping someone will be able to shed some light on this subject. We plan on moving up to as much as 38ft.

I appreciate any input. Thank you very much.

BAM
Vagabond51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2022, 05:55 PM   #2

That is correct.
I recommend a 34 ft motorhome or smaller if you want to do National Parks.
The 33 ft Newmar Newaire was perfect for National Parks, but they discontinued it
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 06:03 PM   #3

Yes that is true. Most campsites were carved out of the wilderness before RV's were over 30'. Some parks have larger sites but they are few. The older parks will have the smaller sites . Sites outside the parks might be a better choice.
deckape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 08:29 PM   #4

We went from 35 to 38 to 40. Haven't had any issues finding a spot (but we have really only travelled the western states). We have stayed in many sites listed as 35' max with no issues, in fact there is usually room for the toad. We stay every year in a COE park that only has a few sites, all listed at 35 max. I measured them all and a 45'er would fit it every one of them. A couple of years ago three rangers came by to visit. One of them was the designer of the park. He said it was great to see a bigger RV there. Another state park we stay in a couple times a year has a site we almost always stay in. It is listed at 60' long. For years it listed max length at 45'. Between last fall when we stayed and when we made reservations for March, the max length had changed to 30'. ?????? Pretty sure we will still fit.
Mnoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 08:36 PM   #5

Honestly, we never had a problem with our 40' motorhome towing the Jeep staying in the state and national parks , along with national forest campgrounds, Corp of Engr., county and city parks. We've been in Yellowstone, Glacier, Grand Teton, Grand Canyon, Bryce, Zion, etc. etc. You're correct that the majority of sites aren't huge but there are enough of them that you can fit... even those marked 35'. State parks are a lot easier. Public parks and boondocking on public lands are 95% of the places we stayed during our 16 years of full-timing. Get the RV you'd be satisfied living in..... you'll find a place to stay.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 09:42 PM   #6

Have a 34' 5th wheel and a 20' truck

Never had an issue with parking the 5vr PLUS the truck in any State/National CG

Have had some short site issues in public/private CGs
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 04:18 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Have a 34' 5th wheel and a 20' truck

Never had an issue with parking the 5vr PLUS the truck in any State/National CG

Have had some short site issues in public/private CGs
^^^This! Our previous 30’ TT and 20’ TV fit together at most campgrounds just fine. Haven’t had the Class A out enough yet to say for sure, but I don’t anticipate an issue.
joshjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 08:03 AM   #8

sometimes the length limit for a campground has to do with how tight curves are or how close trees are, not just site length. I have been a volunteer camp host and had to watch the folks with the bigger trucks and longer lengths just drive over the vegetation and small bushes so they could get into their site. AND complained about full size trees along the road that they thought we should cut down so there was more room to be able to swing around to park. Please consider there may be a reason to suggest the bigger rigs stay away.
Old 01-26-2022, 08:23 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cats_aplenty View Post
sometimes the length limit for a campground has to do with how tight curves are or how close trees are, not just site length. I have been a volunteer camp host and had to watch the folks with the bigger trucks and longer lengths just drive over the vegetation and small bushes so they could get into their site. AND complained about full size trees along the road that they thought we should cut down so there was more room to be able to swing around to park. Please consider there may be a reason to suggest the bigger rigs stay away.
This is so true. Folks also "fudge" their length to get a reservation and are outraged because their equipment will not fit in the site.
Tridot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 08:51 AM   #10

I have been traveling for close to 50 years in a motor home and the last 18 years in a 36 ft Journey towing a toad and never had an issue with length. The Journey has been cross country 4 times from NJ to California and so many national parks I can't remember them all and never had a problem. So am I missing something.
RayJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 08:58 AM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We haven't had a problem at any length. Some campgrounds are small in parks, but some are small in private campgrounds also. Even when the sites are long enough, we find the roads and sharp turns are more of a problem. We check ahead to make sure that we will fit and if we don't fit or we aren't sure, we park nearby. I wouldn't let parking at National Parks be the deciding factor in your rig. Check out the places you expect to go and see if it's a real issue or if it's just a general concern that you can live with.
Old 01-26-2022, 10:01 AM   #12

Yes, you do see restrictions on size and generally listed as 35’, max. And yes, if you do a drive through state and national parks you will often see larger motorhome in sites listed as smaller than they are. We are on our 2nd class A and stick to a 35’ size for the simple reason that it is often easier to get a site we will fit into than a larger site, especially in the high season. Just a note here in that I have been to campgrounds that we would fit into, but getting in and out can be tight. My last MH, I spent a couple of days buffing out scrape marks from branches made trying to navigate out snug turns and narrow road.
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 10:01 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAM3014 View Post
We are considering moving to a larger Class A RV. However, we have been told that most state and national parks (which we love to frequent) have very few, if any, spaces to accommodate RVs over 35ft.

I am hoping someone will be able to shed some light on this subject. We plan on moving up to as much as 38ft.

I appreciate any input. Thank you very much.

BAM
Is it easier to find sites for smaller rigs? Absolutely. Is it impossible to find sites for larger rigs? No.
Tridot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 10:17 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnoel View Post
We went from 35 to 38 to 40. Haven't had any issues finding a spot (but we have really only travelled the western states). We have stayed in many sites listed as 35' max with no issues, in fact there is usually room for the toad. We stay every year in a COE park that only has a few sites, all listed at 35 max. I measured them all and a 45'er would fit it every one of them. A couple of years ago three rangers came by to visit. One of them was the designer of the park. He said it was great to see a bigger RV there. Another state park we stay in a couple times a year has a site we almost always stay in. It is listed at 60' long. For years it listed max length at 45'. Between last fall when we stayed and when we made eservations for March, the max length had changed to 30'. ?????? Pretty sure we will still fit.

Agree we have a 38ft motor home and we have not been stifled in any way this bunk about 35 and under is a urban legend

Of the 51 National Parks in the lower forty eight - 35 have no RV sites, 8 have electric only and 8 have full hookups
rream is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground