Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-18-2013, 11:18 AM   #1

Campground Suggestions NJ/NY/PA

First time RV'ers
Our Tiffing Phaeton QKH will be in this May. We live in Monmouth County NJ and are looking for a great campground for what will most likely be our first trip. We have 2 and 5 year old boys so we are looking for a fun place to bring them and learn the coach.
Leaving Thursday returning Monday.

Any ideas?

Bill
ateam07739 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2013, 11:53 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Welcome to IRV2. I'm sure you'll get some ideas here. In the meantime here is a link to the NJ section of campgroundreviews.com.
RV Park Reviews :: New Jersey
You can pick a town and see what's around that other campers have reviewed.
Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:58 AM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Although our boys are in their teens and 20's now, we started motorhoming when they were toddlers.

Our first MH trip was to Gettysburg back in 1998. A good mix of guns, history, and plenty of down time for our boys back then.

You could also venture to Cooperstown, NY for the Baseball Hall of Fame.

Good luck!
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:16 PM   #4

Send a message via Skype™ to vermilye
If you are willing to dry camp, check out Ricketts Glen in PA. Great hikes along 22 waterfalls and hundreds of beautiful cascades.

Photos from some of my visits:
Old 02-18-2013, 04:54 PM   #5

A very nice State Park that has room for good sized rigs is Blue Knob State Park. Living in NJ the mountains of Pa would be a scenic change. Blue Knob offers interesting hikes up and down the mountain ridges. They have a pool that opens at the end of May.

You will however be out in the country.

Local sites: National Monument of the Johnstown Flood and National Monument of Flight 93 are probably 45 minutes away.

It usually gets cool in the mountains when the sun goes down.

If at the Johnstown Flood Memorial stop at the local Ice Cream joint 'The Ranger' 1/2 mile away. This place upsides all cones. For $1.50 you get a huge amount of yogurt or softserve ice cream.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:11 PM   #6

Kids? Trains!
Steam Town in Scranton.
Horseshoe Curve in Altoona.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:01 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Bill,

Welcome to IRV2 and the Tiffin Family.

For your first trip I would recommend finding a campground close to home in case you have any problems. Do a Google search for Monmouth County campgrounds and you will find a list.

If you haven't already you might want to check out the Tiffin RV Network. It is made up of Tiffin owners and you will find all kinds of answers/information for your Phaeton.

Tiffin RV Network

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:32 PM   #8

Lake in wood campground and resort

My husband and I both work at Lake in Wood in Lancaster County PA. It is a beautiful child friendly, newby friendly campground. Check it out. We get many first timers. Cheryl
Chsgls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:48 PM   #9

Camping In NJ nothing like Cape may NJ

We spent the entire summers when our kids were young at Cape May campgrounds, Holly Shore is one that has not become seasonal only.
Its the best for young kids beaches are the nicest and not effected by Storm sandy. Sea Shore is another nice clean family park, Close to the beach 10 min and close to the historic City, close to Wild wood boardwalk. I would suggest a week down there since Monmouth Counties not far from there.

In Pa, I live in the Poconos myself. Go locate Promise land state park, very nice and quiet, nice lake full hookups as well. But not close to Momouth COUNTY NJ.
Gettysburg Pa Bugle boy campground but most in that area are nice, little pricey but so are th Cape may one as well.

Lancaster county Pa, has some nice campground. Get yourself a trailer life campground book, it rates all the campground in the usa and gives you prices. We are a Good Sam park crew if we can find one close to where we are. They usually are always clean and 10% off once you join for a minimal fee.
Finelinevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:58 AM   #10

Since it is your shake down trip, you will probably be best camping near the dealership in case you have problems. But if you are adventuresome I would head to Lake George RV Resort. Great for the kids and indoor pool since you are considering May. Enjoy your new rig!
mrrving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:49 AM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chsgls View Post
My husband and I both work at Lake in Wood in Lancaster County PA. It is a beautiful child friendly, newby friendly campground. Check it out. We get many first timers. Cheryl

Lake in Wood would be perfect for the boys! One of the nicest around. Make sure you take a look at their website directions (and not rely solely on GPS) so you don't end up on a road that would be challenging for the motorhome.
Lake in Wood Camping Resort / Camping in Pennsylvania

This would be a good first trip since it's not too far away, would enable you to get some good highway and back-roads drive time, and the campground can accommodate motorhomes easily. My preference is also to rent a golf cart so you can see everything there with ease!

go6car is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground