Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-07-2014, 12:15 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Campground vs. RV Resort

Curious who feels that there are differences between campgrounds and RV Resorts, and what the distinction is.

I have read reports in the campground section reporting negatively on some lovely campgrounds I have visited based on, uneven sites, too much dirt, too many trees, unpaved roads, old facilities, no cable, no wi-fi, back in sites, smokey, kids running around, etc..

I have been camping since I was a child, and all the above sort of are what I consider to be expectations at campgrounds. I like heavily wooded (not to the point of being impassable)where appropriate, natural surroundings, family atmosphere and the smell of the campfire when I pull in! I think many people are expecting more of a resort atmosphere. I have been to some that are paved to the point of almost no remaining uncovered ground, some that turned me away because my car or RV was "too old" (seriously), was at one one night that I checked in late and put up my awning and lights and was approached the next morning and told I had to roll up awning and take down lights they were not allowed!! Have found some that are Motorcoach only and have age of unit restrictions. Now granted I have been to some that are in such a state of disrepair or neglect that I could not wait to leave, but those are few and far between. I have been to some that refer to themselves as "camping resort" which has meant little more than they had a swimming pool and/or a basketball court.

I am curious what the general feeling is out there. My favorite "resort" style campground is by far Fort Wilderness, enough of a mix of paved roads, amenities and concrete slabs, but space in between with natural environment that lets me still feel like I am camping. Another favorite is James Island County Park campground, no pretense here, it is not a resort but just a good old campground. Some of the other "camping resorts" I have been to are just too much like parking in the parking lot of a resort hotel for me, just don't feel like I am Camping!

How about you.
trode is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2014, 12:45 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
It all depends on the circumstances for the wife and I. If we're going to some place as a destination visit, such as Branson, San Antonio etc, we know we'll be doing our excursions in town more than around the site, so to have a lot of "luxuries" at this point is really nice. If we're wanting a "weekend" get away, we usually look for actual campgrounds that have hiking trails, lakes for fishing with less luxuries. Just my two cents worth.
Old 05-07-2014, 12:55 PM   #3

Like they say"to each their own" we like the "resorts" with all the amenities. we don't like a lot of trees or kids,or campfire smoke. we like to rough it in style and comfort. an on site restaurant and or a teki bar is very nice.
Old 05-07-2014, 01:32 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

This is just more of the "camping" versus "RVing" thing. People like different stuff.
Old 05-07-2014, 01:41 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have to agree with Oildriller83. I'm not real big on the "resorts" that are all concrete with very little grass. When we had our class C I really enjoyed the National Parks and forestry type camping, but since moving up to our 40ft DP the resorts with the amenities are really nice, concrete level pads are a plus, but we still like our space and really don't prefer to be parked on top of each other. I guess our favorite still is gravel roads, pull thru's, with at least 30 amp service (prefer 50) and trees (trimmed so they don't hit our coach) with enough space to used our slide outs and can't hear our neighbor sneeze.
Diane98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 02:33 PM   #6

We like a mixture of both. We like TGO in Titusville FL because of the amenities, covered pads, pool, gym, activities, and the people. Same for places like Harthside Grove near Pulaski MI.
Loved Jekyll Island because of the bike, trails, history, trees. Currently at James Island park, a fabulous county park in SC.
And then there are some surprises like Anchor Down near Sieverville TN. It's billed as a park but is absolutely gorgeous. Paved roads, stamped concrete pads, fireplaces that are works of art in them selves, and stunning views of Douglas lake.
Of course there are some surprises the other way too. Savannah Oaks resort. Although it's a nice enough RV park it is far from what I would expect as a "resort".
Gravel pads, sand roads, no hiking trails. Just a nice place to park the RV while seeing the area.
So, it really comes down to what ever looks like it might be interesting in the general direction of where were heading. And where were heading is generally in the direction of what might be interesting.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 02:45 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
For me, a resort = onsite amenities galore, meticulously maintained grounds and a 24/7 front desk. A CG = standard onsite amenities or less, maintained grounds or less and the front desk is not open 24/7.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 03:23 PM   #8

campgrounds only for us. we are there to camp with our family and friends. guess it really depends on what you use your rv for. i can't believe people would be bothered by children. that is just sad...
89sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 07:03 AM   #9

The problem we run into is that the word resort is used rather loosely sometimes. Some peoples definition of resort and ours is miles apart. But by doing a little research you can distinguish between a campground and a resort. We enjoy both types, it all depends on what were looking for at the time. But by putting the word resort in the name sometimes gives them license to charge more.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 07:18 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I feel the big difference is living in your RV while away from home, snow birding for example or camping for a period, just getting out in nature.

LEN
Old 05-08-2014, 07:52 AM   #11

I'll check Campgrounds for us. We much prefer staying in NP, State, BLM, Nat Forestry, anywhere but "resorts". Thank goodness there are those that like to stay in resorts though. That means more sites for the campground peeps.

We have stayed at resorts when we've not been able to find a convenient campground or to take advantage of longer showers, sewers, water & laundry and I always feel claustrophobic.

That's another reason we're semi shopping for a DP...we can carry more water & poopage so won't have to visit the "resorts" as much.
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 08:20 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selah View Post
We like a mixture of both. We like TGO in Titusville FL because of the amenities, covered pads, pool, gym, activities, and the people. Same for places like Harthside Grove near Pulaski MI.
Loved Jekyll Island because of the bike, trails, history, trees. Currently at James Island park, a fabulous county park in SC.
And then there are some surprises like Anchor Down near Sieverville TN. It's billed as a park but is absolutely gorgeous. Paved roads, stamped concrete pads, fireplaces that are works of art in them selves, and stunning views of Douglas lake.
Of course there are some surprises the other way too. Savannah Oaks resort. Although it's a nice enough RV park it is far from what I would expect as a "resort".
Gravel pads, sand roads, no hiking trails. Just a nice place to park the RV while seeing the area.
So, it really comes down to what ever looks like it might be interesting in the general direction of where were heading. And where were heading is generally in the direction of what might be interesting.
Love James Island. NC, my home state, can learn some lessons from SC regarding state, and county parks! What a great place. Enjoy.
trode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 08:27 AM   #13

Send a message via Skype™ to ROMANICHEL
30 - 35 years ago almost every weekend, we packed the old station wagon with the poptent, coolers, fishing rods, we made a fire every night rosting weeners, singing song ..... then we bought our first tent trailer then a travel traler, so that was CAMPING, usualy not to far from home, with all the activity a young family would required.
But now that we are in our 60th, we are RVing, meaning traveling, comfort, small and not to noisy RV park, warm wheather in winter, taking time for us and our passion Birding for me and beachcombing for my wife,
As for my kids, well there out CAMPING with my there kids,
Old 05-08-2014, 12:21 PM   #14

I think we are with Karen. We are in 7th year of full-timing and have not been in a resort but once and that was all that was available in Florida. Our feelings about the resorts are the same as hers. We boondock 90% of the time, and the rest is spending time at our kids' places. They each have a spot in their backyard. We much prefer BLM, FS etc areas for "dispersed camping". No one around but wildlife or a few friends, solitude and no cost. Autonomous solar, two extra canisters of propane, six Jerrycans to carry water if we stay long. The final arbiter on length is holding tanks. Just glad that not many folks go for this type of RV'ing or it would be crowded.
Reed and Elaine
Reed Cundiff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground