Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2005, 02:24 PM   #1

My family and I are going to the Grand Canyon this summer and are in the process of planning our stops. Interested in knowing where some good campgrounds are located right off of or close to the interstate. Our first stop will be in Nashville, Tn. Then will be stopping 500 to 600 miles each day til we arrive at the canyon. This is our first time out west. Sorry for any mistakes this also our first post.

2001 Powerstroke CC Dually 4X4
ETnCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2005, 02:24 PM   #2

My family and I are going to the Grand Canyon this summer and are in the process of planning our stops. Interested in knowing where some good campgrounds are located right off of or close to the interstate. Our first stop will be in Nashville, Tn. Then will be stopping 500 to 600 miles each day til we arrive at the canyon. This is our first time out west. Sorry for any mistakes this also our first post.

2001 Powerstroke CC Dually 4X4
ETnCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 06:25 AM   #3

First, Welcome to the site, Around Flagstaff there are several camp grounds, scroll thru this section for suggestions and recomendations. Between Flagstaff and Williams there is a deer farm that the kids can see and pet deer. Hope this helps. Again , Welcome.
Old 01-08-2005, 01:10 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Unless you are superman or have multiple drivers I suggest you forget it.

To drive 500-600 miles a day will leave you so whacked out that you will be unable to enjoy the trip or the Canyon.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 06:17 PM   #5

When moving from Winchester, Virginia to Cedar City , Utah I drove I-40 three times. Round trips hauling RV and household goods, etc. Lots of KOA's right off I-40. Many are designed and set up to support the I-40 travelers.
Five and 600 mile days is a very ambitious travel plan. Also extremely tiring. That is up at 6 am and off the road at 6 pm. No fun. I have a GPS in the truck and in spite of 75 mph speed limits out West and 65mph limits in other places I could only average 55mph.
That accounts for the fuel stops and food on the go. I had all the fuel stops mapped and the RV parks as well. Still only got 55mph average.
Chet
Old 01-09-2005, 03:23 AM   #6

When I go for a long haul to a pre-determined designation, I count on an average of 90 kilometers per hour(56mph)which includes stops for food & fuel plus restroom breaks (very few stops to do the tourist thing). 10 to 11 hours on the road, leaving at 6am gives me 900 - 1000 kilometers per day, which I don't find too difficult for the first two days. In fact, many times on the first day I'll do uoto 13 hours especially if I have time zones in my favour.

I usually try to be on the road by 6am. I am the only driver (in my 60s)and I just convince myself that getting there is fun!

Give it a try... if you start to find it too much, just cut back on your daily grind.

Regards
CalgaryCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 06:34 AM   #7

I can give you one or two campgrounds along your route. Plan stopping at the Blue Spruce in Grants NM. Cheap and small but nice stop over spot. I would also plan to spend an extra 2 days in Grants, for there is lots of things to see in the area. Also there is a Chiness smorgusborg on the main drive that is to die for. You will not be dissapointed if you smell the flowers on your way.

Ford V10
Rapid Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 05:42 PM   #8

We have done the I-40 route too many time to count and as far as I'm concerned, if you don't mind it, 500-600 is not a problem. One of the ways we do it when we drive that hard is to stay at the Flying Js instead of campgrounds. It allows us to drive later with more frequent stops during the day and then we just pull in and go to bed. Sorry to say I've never stayed at a campground on I-40.

2005 Ford F350 Diesel
The Sequel is offline   Reply With Quote