Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-23-2007, 02:21 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
If you have ever spent the night at CW there in Cordelia, you have experienced the same thing.
SacsTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2007, 07:52 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I had thought to myself that it would probably be noisy, but the reviews on campgroundreviews.com were glowing. Maybe they all used earplugs! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
...or they turned off their hearing aids!

How close is Lake Solano to you...and are there any other parks too close to home that you might recommend? Maybe I can have you drive over and take a look around at Lake Solano to make sure a large rig would fit!!

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 08:12 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Ed-Deb,
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">When I think of some more I'll post them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Have you stayed at these parks in your rig.. and if so, which is your favorite?

We plan on going to Lake Solano this next week for my few days off. Maybe we can go up there next month to check it out .. or even meet you up there to say "Hey"

Old 02-24-2007, 07:12 AM   #18

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">We plan on going to Lake Solano this next week for my few days off. Maybe we can go up there next month to check it out .. or even meet you up there to say "Hey" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I tried to look at their very small campsite diagram on their website and wasn't able to see if they could accommodate a large rig or not. I also couldn't see any reference to a dump station, so you might try to contact them first. It is about 40 miles from where I live, so I don't go that way very often.

There is another RV resort called Canyon Creek RV Resort a little closer to Berryessa. It is one that sells memberships, but they might also take short-termers (though they might try to sell you a share). There are also several resorts at Lake Berryessa that have RV spaces, but you would want to contact them to check for big rig fit. If you like I can PM you some phone numbers to call.

Jeep Wrangler
Gary the Wombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 09:10 AM   #19

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SacsTC:
Ed,
The last time I was at McClure, I don't remember it as being friendly to larger RV's.
When was the last time you were in there and which campground did you think was the nicest?
Believe it or not, I actually knew the Barrett family when I was a kid. We had a mining claim 14 miles out of Coulterville and my grandparents were good friends with Frank and his wife. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

SacsTC,

I had to look it up.

Actually, I stayed at McSwain in "G" loop.

Click on the link and then click on the "Detail Map" link on the lower right side of the page.

http://www.lakemcclure.com/camping/lake_mcswain.html

I did not stay there in the summer when it supposedly has issues with tent campers in the other camp loops.

The G loop would be a little tight if you had to back in with a 40' MH. My MH is 34' and change and I had to back in. It was a little tight but not a problem. Some of the sites are pull through which would mitigate this issue. The G loop has elec / water at each site and there is a dump station nearby. You can make reservations for a specific site in G loop to insure you can get a drive thru site.

I liked camping here in the off season and would return. If you like fishing it is pretty decent.

Flag City:
I stayed there while commuting to Sacramento for a week which minimized my travel time by over two hours. Otherwise,I would only stay at Flag City on an overnight if I was traveling north or south across the valley. I would think there would be other parks in the foothills if you were visiting up there. The park filled up to half to three quarters full almost every evening. I would assume this is transient traffic off the freeeway.

49er (Plymouth)
Nice older park. Close to wineries in Amador County. Will accomodate 40' MHs but I'm not sure about anything bigger.

The noise from the highway, if they park you near the fence, is ongoing all day and night. I've stayed there many times.

French Camp:

I have stayed here several times although I haven't used the golf course yet. It is a nice park which I'm sure would accomodate big rigs. Most RVers I know that go there use it as a weekend or long weekend getaway to relax and play golf. Not much else nearby that I am aware of, for entertainment / sight seeing.

Ed

2003 KSDP
Ed-Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 09:20 AM   #20

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MonacoMama:
Ed-Deb,
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">When I think of some more I'll post them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Have you stayed at these parks in your rig.. and if so, which is your favorite?

We plan on going to Lake Solano this next week for my few days off. Maybe we can go up there next month to check it out .. or even meet you up there to say "Hey" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The only park I like to stay in is McSwain. It feels a little more like "camping" and with the lake there I can fish. Plus hiking and bike riding are also options.

I have only stayed at the others I mentioned to mitigate travel times to events or for work. I think 49er RV would be ok for a weekend getaway and French Camp would be nice for a weekend if you like to golf.

Otherwise, I like to go up in the mountains or even better...over off 395 somewhere.

I can't get any weekends off right now until April. I have a trip planned for April but May and June are tentatively "open".

Ed

2003 KSDP
Old 02-24-2007, 09:29 AM   #21

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WheelCaptain:
Bodega Bay Rv with full hook ups or the Bodega Dunes State campground right next to it with just a dump station. Both are just a few blocks north of Bodega Bay. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Both are nice places to stay if you like the beach.

A little further north is Wrights Beach. It has limited access in the loop for larger MHs but if you can fit in, there are about three or four spots right on the beach which provide great views in the morning and evening. Plan on making reservations for Wrights as it has gotten very popular.

The overflow CG area should be able to accomodate 40' ok. Just watch the overhanging trees!

2003 KSDP
Old 02-28-2007, 08:23 PM   #22

Alpine Owners Club
MonacoMama,

We have stayed at McClure. McClure Point loop F site 11 to be more specific. We measure 37 feet nose to tail. You could get your 40 footer in there and in site 12. It is a bit tight in there but doable. I called the campground info at 209-378-2521. I understand Lake McSwain is a nice spot to put down jacks. http://www.lakemcclure.com/camping/lake_mcswain.html

We get out almost every weekend and like you try to stay within 120 miles. One of our favorite spots is Eastman Lake COE. Very quiet park with FHU or dry camping sites, but I think a bit far for you.

We like to hear the coyotes and other wildlife at night, and see the stars, so we try to pick parks away from cities and lights.
Old 02-28-2007, 10:10 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Patty & Tom..
Thank you for the info on Eastman - and the specific sites at McClure. I will make sure SacsTC looks at the info. Maybe we can do it when I have a 4 day-er
Thanks again.. everyone... and keep the info coming... I think I will make a list so I can plan on each one to find my favorite!

Old 03-05-2007, 05:47 PM   #24

Here's one that came as a complete surprise to me--the Stockton Delta KOA. It's on Highway 12 about 5 miles west of Hwy 5 (at the Lodi turnoff). It used to be the Tower Resort and Marina campground, and apparently got very run down. But about a year and a half ago, KOA bought it, and must have invested some serious money.

It is one of the nicest parks, KOA or otherwise, I have stayed at. Apparently it gets busy on weekends, but we are here now, and it is pretty empty. The restrooms/showers are spotless with very new fixtures, and the staff is new and friendly. There is an adjacent marina with boat rentals and the park offers free wi-fi. There is no cable TV, but local reception via antenna is excellent. There is a good store, and a restaurant and bar that I haven't tried out yet.

Plus it is only about 10 miles to Lodi for grocery shopping/restaurants and right in the Delta for exploring or fishing if that's your thing.

The full-time trailer park is far enough away that it doesn't matter. Also for those light sleepers, it is far enough from Hwy 12 that all I can hear are the frogs.

If I sound overly excited, I apologize, but this park is a real gem. I'll be back!

Jeep Wrangler
Gary the Wombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 08:32 AM   #25

Gary,

Glad you mentioned the KOA. I would never have mentioned or recommended it as I had been there before the change you mentioned and it was horrible.

Some place new to check out!

Thanks,
Ed

2003 KSDP