Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-02-2021, 05:39 PM   #1

Campgrounds in 2022 (not full yet)

Well, I just finished 90 days of campground reservations.

Every place had the site I wanted and now we’re all paid for next year.
I just have to decide where we are going next Christmas down south, but that trip will be booked before this Christmas. Gotta find a place in Florida we haven’t been to, it’s getting harder. We’ve been almost everywhere there, maybe go to South Texas next year.

Seems to me that the CGs had lots of sites available.

I might be in the minority because we usually plan a year in advance, we have been for many years.
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2021, 07:39 AM   #2

I should hope they're not full 6 months to a year out. But I guess a lot depends on where you're going, the size of your rig, and the amenities you require.

We did a trip from WV to ME back in September. We booked our sites 2-3 days in advance and didn't have any availability issues. Stayed in a couple of first come, first served campgrounds on the ME coast (including right outside of Acadia NP). Those were dicier, but we managed to get sites by arriving early on a Thursday and a Sunday.
Old 11-03-2021, 08:39 AM   #3
Community Moderator

We found some places are booked already for Christmas 2022 time frame. From what we have been told it is the same people coming back year after year so they book it a year in advance.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 06:47 AM   #4

The park where we own a lot (in south central FL) is completely sold out for the first time this winter. (250 sites)There is a new park next door that is full this winter (300 sites) and advertising spots for next year in phase 2 (another 200+ sites) which they have not even started building yet. We bought the lot next to ours when the previous occupant moved out and we had people asking to rent it before we even closed and we hadn't told anyone we were buying it. Buying a lot in a nice park when we went full time, so that we always have a spot for the winter, turned out to be a smart move.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 08:19 AM   #5

Travel restrictions are being lifted, which could alter the current situation.
Kid Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 05:31 PM   #6

We book a waterfront site at association Island NY every year. Past 2 yrs when we have checked in our sites for the next year have been already booked. First come first serve, campground will not hold no sites no matter what. Now we will have to book 18 months to get a decent site. I think I'm paying somewhere around $110 per night. Welcome to the east coast...

Another favorite of ours a Maryland State Park I had seconds to book the sites we wanted when the reservation window opened. 2 years ago I would have at least 1 day before the sites would get grabbed.

Not complaining as it is what it is

Mike
Old 11-07-2021, 05:01 AM   #7

I am on the wait list for a full service site at the end of April in Skidaway SP near Savannah. There are plenty of other lots available.

I'm working on the front end of that trip and so far I've only encountered one campground with no availability.
Charming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 08:28 AM   #8

Spent the last week putting together a 6 week trip to the panhandle and west coast of FL, leaving Feb 7. Contrary to popular belief it can be done. It was somewhat nerve wracking, but we have everything confirmed and average cost per night is under $15. So it can be done, I hate to share how, as if others learn the tricks it will be tougher in the future. But here are some strategies we used:
Harvest hosts, some allow up to 5 nights
State parks, use the "notify me if available" option
County parks-make a list of every county you will visit and look at their websites. Found a few free places that way
Hipcamp- some real finds here. This site disappointed me on other trips but found some nice places this time.

we took AAA maps and wrote all over them with keys to potential places then filled out a calendar. This trip should be very interesting we will be taking lots of notes to be used for next year. which will be very helpful next year!
MCCOHENS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 01:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCCOHENS View Post
County parks-make a list of every county you will visit and look at their websites.
We have found some beautiful county parks throughout the country!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2021, 07:01 PM   #10

For 2022 we have gotten as far as determining the primary destination. Newfoundland.

That is it. No reservations. Non intended to be made for quite sometime, if at all.

As a rule we don't need FHUs so that is a big help for availability. Don't need water at the site either, which further makes travelling without reservations easier. Provided it is not too hot or not too cold we are perfectly happy dry camping, which opens up a whole new world for find space foe camping.

This will be our second trip to Newfoundland, provided covid does not get in the way as it did this year, so we do have the advantage of previous experience. Hoping to do at least 1 1/2months on the island this time mixing it up between provincial parks, Harvest Hosts & private parks.
Triangle Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground