RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-02-2017, 11:41 AM   #1
HGC

Campgrounds in Kentucky?

We were trying to plan a week long trip in April to Kentucky but know almost nothing about the campground scene or what the most interesting places would be with only a week to spend. We will be traveling in a 36ft MH. By the way I have seen sights in Daniel Boone park. Any ideas or experiences you would like to share? Thanks for any input!
HGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2017, 12:22 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HGC View Post
We were trying to plan a week long trip in April to Kentucky but know almost nothing about the campground scene or what the most interesting places would be with only a week to spend. We will be traveling in a 36ft MH. By the way I have seen sights in Daniel Boone park. Any ideas or experiences you would like to share? Thanks for any input!

You don't say what part of KY. If you are going to be around Paducah, DO NOT stay in Stagecoach Station Campground. If you do make sure you are towing a pick up truck and the bed is full of lumber so you can get level.
Cranemec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 12:30 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'd like to know also......I was born and raised there, but don't have the first clue on RV parks.
Old 02-02-2017, 12:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranemec View Post
You don't say what part of KY. If you are going to be around Paducah, DO NOT stay in Stagecoach Station Campground. If you do make sure you are towing a pick up truck and the bed is full of lumber so you can get level.
OTOH, Duck Creek RV in Paducah is a nice place to stay. FHU + cable but if you want to use your satellite ask or reserve a spot in the section behind the office.
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 12:58 PM   #5

I have stayed in two campgrounds in KY and would recommend both..

If you're looking to stay near Lexington - KY Horse Park Campground is a must.. Very nice and clean.. good sites (some more level than others)..

If you'd like to stay near Bardstown - White Acres Campground

I was hosting three other campers, along with myself, and both places are good in my book.

Good Luck !!
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 01:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakcreekeric View Post
I have stayed in two campgrounds in KY and would recommend both..

If you're looking to stay near Lexington - KY Horse Park Campground is a must.. Very nice and clean.. good sites (some more level than others)..

If you'd like to stay near Bardstown - White Acres Campground

I was hosting three other campers, along with myself, and both places are good in my book.

Good Luck !!

We had an enjoyable stay at the KY Horse Park too. Watch out for the water pressure though. Could get as high as 100psi.
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 01:55 PM   #7

We use the KY Horse Park campground dump station when we return from a trip, and saw some construction last summer so I just Googled and found this. As they said, check the horse park calendar for major events before planning a visit,

"Expand Campground $6,425,000
The campground expansion project proposes to add up to 100 new campsites, two bathhouses, store, and associated infrastructure to the existing campground. The high level of demand for the campground from individual campers and from the group market gives rise to 100% occupancy during most of the summer weekends.

Renovate Campground Sites & Bathhouses $1,077,000
The campground renovation project proposes to refurbish the showers, flooring,
lighting, HVAC, and fixtures of the two existing bathhouses. In addition, the 260
campground sites will be refurbished with new picnic tables and pads, fire rings, and
garbage cans. The natural aging and demands of constant use necessitates this
investment in the renovation of the bathhouses and campsites facilities."

https://www.kyhorsepark.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavingABlast View Post
We had an enjoyable stay at the KY Horse Park too. Watch out for the water pressure though. Could get as high as 100psi.
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 01:55 PM   #8

KY has 31 state resort parks with campgrounds. Our favorites are Carter Caves and the KY horse park. There are three within 20 miles of Murray, KY. All are on the lakes. Then there is Land Between the Lakes (LBL) with four major campgrounds (hookups) and six smaller ones if you primitive camping.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 05:07 PM   #9

X2 on Carter Caves.

Also enjoyed our time at Levi Jackson SP. Mammoth Caves is terrific if you've never been - no electric hook ups at the national park last time we were there so may want to check out a nearby private or State Park.
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 05:13 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Stayed at singing hills campground in cave city. Privately owned, quiet, great experience
Old 02-03-2017, 11:19 AM   #11

We also stayed at the Renfro Valley KOA. The owners we nice, their entrance/exit road is not one that I would want to drive on again.
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 11:52 AM   #12
HGC

Campgroundsin KY

Thanks for the great response!
Does anyone have experience with campgrounds at Daniel Boone National Park and/or is that a great area to spend a week? Love to hear opinions on that area. Thanks for your time and interest.
HGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 08:03 PM   #13

Bailey's Point (COE) on Barren River Lake

https://www.recreation.gov/camping/b...O&parkId=73073

Hurricane Creek (COE) Land Between the Lakes - Lake Barkley

Camping at HURRICANE CREEK, KY

Fort Boonesborough State Park

Camping at FORT BOONESBOROUGH STATE PARK, KY

Blue Heron in Daniel Boone National Forest

https://www.recreation.gov/camping/b...O&parkId=70987

Ashland/Huntington KOA

Argillite, Kentucky Campground | Ashland / Huntington West KOA

We've stayed at all of these, if you would like details will be happy to share our experiences (I've been meaning to do reviews but just haven't taken the time)

Hope you have a pleasant visit.

Shelia
RockyHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 08:52 PM   #14
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
You could easily spend a week in the Mammoth Cave area. Plenty of CG's in Cave City.

Lori-
There is great need for a sarcasm font.
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground