Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-02-2017, 09:02 AM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Campgrounds West of Chicago

We are planning on an August trip, from Washington to Chicago, and it looks like there are a couple of campgrounds West of Chicago. We will be driving our car from the campground into Oak Park, IL. Does anyone have recent experience with campgrounds that will handle our 41' Diesel Pusher and car? Looking for good clean long sites with good hookups and level.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2017, 07:42 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Closest I know of is in Elgin
Old 02-02-2017, 08:24 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by krivanj View Post
Closest I know of is in Elgin
Thanks.... I'll look at it. Just trying to find owners who have camped in any of these sites and have good and bad things to offer...
Old 02-02-2017, 08:32 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
We live in the Chicago suburb and have been to many of the "close" campgrounds. Most of the campgrounds close to the city should be able to accommodate your rig. Also if during your visit try staying at the campgrounds at our state parks they are really nice and very reasonable.
Old 02-03-2017, 04:32 AM   #5

We never camp near the city, but starved rock state Park is very nice and not far off of I80. If traveling on 88, we have stayed at Crystal Lake RV resort.. it was nice too. Both of these we have been to in our 40 ft 5er.
chertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 12:08 PM   #6
NRR

Solo Rvers Club
If you can live with water, 50A electric and a dump station. I use this campground every year to see the kids at the beginning of August. Generally there are three to five RVs in the place at that time of the year. Sandwich is on Rt. 34. Rt. 34 becomes Ogden Ave as you go into the city. You can take Ogden Ave all the way to Rt. 43 (Harlem Ave.) then head north to Oak Park. Or you can figure out your own faster route.
Sandwich, IL Campground Reviews - Best of Sandwich Camping - RV Park Reviews
Sandwich Fair Grounds, Contact “James” @ Phone 815-530-6168

I went through Big Rock campground last August. It was not half full. It is new and, well, read the reviews. When the trees get bigger it will be real nice.
Big Rock Campground - Big Rock, IL - RV Park Reviews
Here is the official site for Big Rock and my favorite campground down there Paul Wolff. But it is now too far from my kids.
Forest Preserve Property
NRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 12:27 PM   #7

Here you go !!! 60 miles due west of the loop . info@sycamorervresort.com phone 815 895 5590
AgentOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 02:07 PM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for the info...
Old 02-03-2017, 02:49 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Smile

RJOL, I have worked at Big Rock Campground the last two years and will be back there again this year.

The sites are large and level, yes it is only water and electric but 2 dump stations. It is an easy shot to Oak Park from here. Easy onto 88 then right into Oak Park.

In fact we had a camper last year who would go to Oak Park all the time because of family.

The trees are on the smaller side, but they add more trees each year. Last year they added 25 new trees and the year before 35 trees were added.

It is a nice well maintained park.

Hope to see you this year!

Richard

P.S. The picture of my coach was taken at Big Rock.
RCG604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 04:53 PM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCG604 View Post
RJOL, I have worked at Big Rock Campground the last two years and will be back there again this year.

The sites are large and level, yes it is only water and electric but 2 dump stations. It is an easy shot to Oak Park from here. Easy onto 88 then right into Oak Park.

In fact we had a camper last year who would go to Oak Park all the time because of family.

The trees are on the smaller side, but they add more trees each year. Last year they added 25 new trees and the year before 35 trees were added.

It is a nice well maintained park.

Hope to see you this year!

Richard

P.S. The picture of my coach was taken at Big Rock.

Thanks for the info... We will take a look at this, but my concern is that we will be there for a little over a week, and will have two grandchildren for a day or so. Don't know if we can get by, with no sewer dump at the site, and I sure don't like breaking camp just to go to a common site. Do they have 50amp service?
Old 02-03-2017, 05:19 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Yes all sites have 50 30 and 20 amp. If you can't make it that long, you are welcome to use my blue boy!

Richard
RCG604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 05:36 PM   #12

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCG604 View Post
Yes all sites have 50 30 and 20 amp. If you can't make it that long, you are welcome to use my blue boy!

Richard
Thanks for the offer... I have one of those. My concerns are 1. location in ref to Oak Park 2. Full amenities (large motorhomes) 3. Site amenities for grandkids

I will look at this park, closer, but it looks like the KOA park in Huntley (Chicago Northwest KOA) is better suited for big rigs and site amenities. They both look like they are about the same distance from Oak Park.
Old 02-04-2017, 07:00 AM   #13
NRR

Solo Rvers Club
Big Rock and the KOA look the same distance on a map. But to get to Oak Park Big Rock is far less time. You just jump on I88 and get off at Oak Park.

I know, the grand kids are very important. The railroad museum is worth a stop if you are up by Union, IL.
NRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 08:10 AM   #14

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NRR View Post
Big Rock and the KOA look the same distance on a map. But to get to Oak Park Big Rock is far less time. You just jump on I88 and get off at Oak Park.

I know, the grand kids are very important. The railroad museum is worth a stop if you are up by Union, IL.
Thanks for the info...

Tags
campground