Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-28-2012, 12:43 PM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Camping Etiquette

Just got back from the long weekend and let me say do the new and younger campers not teach their kids proper etiquette ..... my campsite and many many others were like a freeway of not only kids but adults thinking this was the way to where ever they were going we even set up blocking aids and kids and parent would proceed to climb over them to get through and if we said something they would look at you like you were a [moderator edit]..
How would they like it if i just pulled up a chair in their site and proceeded to drink and eat their food or use their facilities LOL!!!!!!!!!
I just don't Get this type of behavior .... One parent even proceeded to use my friends picnic table to have lunch in their campsite UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!!!!!
Well enough of that and hope all had a great camping weekend with friends and family
mavric65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2012, 12:54 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Unfortunately- this is a sign of the times. I also don't like uncontrolled dogs (who pee on your stuff, jump up on you and your family, etc.) Some people think you love their pets as much as they do...don't get me wrong, I'm an animal lover but just like common sense. Anyway, I'm not camping this weekend but maybe soon. I hope the rest of your stay was great- where did you go?
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 01:14 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I agree....That is why for the most part we don't go RVing on holiday weekends unless it with the IRV2 group. When reserving a site, I look for sites where there will not be trouble from the sites next to us. The biggest fear is a pack of RVers campers infringing into your site for a tent city.

While already set up at a site last year at a state park, a bungle of tent campers arrived and started to set up about 5 feet from my fire ring, and maybe 25 feet into my site. I very nicely talked to them about where they should be placing there tents. It turned out to be just fine....I thought for awhile we were going to have a all night party city, but they actually turned out to be just fine....I think they were new to camping....I gave them a bunch of tips to make it easier to weather the rain that came in...

At this same CG there was another site where there were at least 30+ people on 2 or 3 sites having a hell of a time...I'm glad we were not in that section....
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 01:20 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We stay at KOA's whenever possible. Yes, they are more expensive but you gets what you pays for. Most of them have different areas for tents and RV's so encroachment is not an issue. Any time we have a problem, like kids biking through our site, or noise after quiet time, I just go straight to the manager and have him/her address the issue. KOA managers/owners are very highly attuned to guest complaints, since one bad rating can take away their Presidents or Founders award for that year.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 09:37 PM   #5

I always ask for a back in site on the outer perimeter of the camp just for this reason....and if they can't place me there, and I HAVE to take non-perimeter site, I get as far away from the office/pool/bath house as possible. Not that I'm anti social, of course, but I like to give my undivided attention to whomever I may be camping with. And, as a last resort, if I get uninvited traffic walking through, I find that sitting indian style on the picnic table and meditating keeps the offenders away....LOL !
rvguy40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 11:11 AM   #6

thats the risk you take when camping in a campground. some campgrounds are set up with sites that are far enough apart this is not usually a problem. (the good campgrounds) people can be so rude.. or maybe just dumb? anyway, if it were up to me we would boondock everytime. but the wife likes the campgrounds. our favorite spot is campground with very secluded spots.. ill see if i can post a pic.
lynn boyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 11:19 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
I've been volunteering as a county park camp host. You would not believe the amount of trash I find in the fire rings or around the site. And when was it decided that cigarette butts don't count as litter? I'll frequently come across a site that's spotless, with the exception of a cartons worth of cigarette butts laying all over.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 05:52 PM   #8

I was at a private campground this last weekend, I normally stay at state parks, but tried something different this time. Mostly a seasonal campground, but a few weekenders as well. It was very nice, except for the pay showers, tepid water, or scalding hot. No in between. I don't mind paying for a shower as long as it works properly! No trouble with others infringing on my site, but have had it happen in the past, and I hate that!
hillbillyhtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 06:30 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes, we have noticed the level of courtesies from campers toward fellow campers decrease over the years. As the "Go RVing" push has progressed, the manners go down.

But stop and remember who raised the current crop of campers...it was the Baby Boomer generation......I know our daughter was not raised that way and neither are her children. So some of the folks out there our age were a bit lax on the rules.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 06:36 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Folks who are rude tend to be so at the grocery store, neighborhoods, ball games, movie theaters and the like - not just when they are camping. Before having an RV we tent camped for many years, kept our kids contained and taught them to be considerate. We left our site as good or better than how we found it.

We have had folks in RVs next to us (no hookups) fire up a loud generator for hours within 10 feet of us sleeping in a tent next door in our proper spot. Others running outdoor speakers at volumes that we get to listen to the lyrics. It doesn't seem unique to tents vs RVs.

I have decided that I avoid camping on the 3 most popular weekends of the year and have been much happier a result. Less crowds and more experienced campers.

Oh, and folks that bring a full sized bored/barking dog to camp, put on a tie up rope and leave for hours seem rude to me.

Now that we have an RV, we are happy that if it is noisy at bed time, we have the option to hear much less, even if it means closing a window. We make every effort with our family to be considerate.

Happy Camping!
Old 06-03-2012, 06:12 AM   #11

National/State Parks on a holiday weekend has a down side. Many first timers and annual campers who do not know the rules. Many would not act this way if they were in their own back yard but some would. It happens everywhere...We stayed in a Walmart parking lot one evening. All was well until midnight when a bunch of local kids showed up and held a party until 5 AM. Some even banged on the RV asking if anyone was asleep inside.
TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 07:42 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I don't have a much hesitation about correcting rude campground manners. Cut through my site and I'll tell you about common courtesies. Kids running all over my site and I'll send them home to irrate the parents. We raised our daughter and do not want to raise other little brats.

Yes, I am a grumpy old guy, but what makes me grumpy is rude people.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 08:45 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I'm niether old nor grumpy.
I also like (other peoples) children, and friendly dogs...
Not sure why i'm posting to this thread.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 09:07 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I guess I've been fortunate over the past year or two.

So far only one rude neighbor. He pulled in with his roadside wheels on my site and put his slide out over my grill and picnic table.

I asked him if he thought the smoke from my grill would bother him since it was right under his slide. He didn't get it and I wasn't rude enough to use the grill, was my last night there anyway.

I do try to stay at CGs like Marina Bay in Kemah, TX, they divide the park into 2 sections, adult only on one side and families on the other.

When I got my first RV someone gave a card titled Campground Etiquette, best thing I ever received as a new RV'er.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping