Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-06-2017, 10:29 PM   #1

Camping in Great Smoky Mountains National Park

We bought our first travel trailer last month. So far, we've had it out once. We are taking it out again in state parks in north Georgia for MLK weekend and again on Presidents Day weekend. By spring or early summer, I want to take it into Great Smoky Mountains National Park and camp inside the park. I want a few trips with power before tring to dry camp. I am already seeing that my 12v battery that came with the trailer doesn't last long. How much longer would 2 deep cycle 6v golf cart batteries last?

Also, how do the generator rules work in national parks? Can you run them to power AC during the day and they just have to be turned off at night? I know I will need a 3000w or (2) 2000w generators to power my 15k AC unit, if needed. I'm leaning toward the two 2000 watts, but don't know what I'm doing yet. Trying to learn.

We have 3 small kids, 2 of which still take naps. So, if it's hot, they will need AC to sleep during the day for a few hours. Any siggestions or opinions are appreciated. I don't know the rules in National Parks, what general camp etiquette is, and what power I will need to get through a 2-3 day stretch. Thanks to anyone with input that will help me prepare.
Mayberry32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2017, 12:07 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Also, how do the generator rules work in national parks? Can you run them to power AC during the day and they just have to be turned off at night? I know I will need a 3000w or (2) 2000w generators to power my 15k AC unit, if needed. I'm leaning toward the two 2000 watts, but don't know what I'm doing yet. Trying to learn.
As far as generator in side the Smoky's. Generally they will have certain sections of the campground to camp and use your genny. Also there might be limited times. But I believe in the Smoky's you can run a genny from 8am to 8pm. So if your making a reservation you better get a generator site. If you want to run the air you are going to need a 3000k watts model.

When we went to the Smoky's we camped at Elkmont on the northern side in the park, then did a private campground in Gatlinburg for 3 days to recharge the battery fully and do laundry. Then we went to the southern side and camped at Smokemont in the park for 5 more days. This was mid June, where downtown Gatlinburg was running 100 degrees, up at Elkmont in the park and about 1500' higher in elevation it was in the low 80's. No need for AC...

Personally we use just a 100 watt solar panel...Free power and makes very little noise. We updated to one group 29 battery over the basic group 24 deep cycle. Is 3" longer and has 30% power storage.

Two 6 volt deep cycles will give you 2.5 time the power storage as one cheepo group 24 deep cycle battery.

Many of the state parks and some national park campgrounds will limit genny hours to 9am to 11am and again 5pm to 7pm. Just have to know the rules.

Smoky's 2012 pictures
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 12:13 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Googling for campground rules re: generators yields:
"Quiet hours are in effect from 10:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m. Generator use is restricted to 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Generators may not be used at any time on Loops A, B, L, M, and N."

From this site:
https://www.recreation.gov/camping/e...O&parkId=70968

HTH -

- CC
Stripe34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 01:11 PM   #4

We use 2 Honda 2000 generators to power our 30 amp toy hauler. I have never had to pair them because I can usually get by without AC when camping in non hookup sites. I recommend you buy 1 generator to start out and then see if you have need for a second one.

We also have two deep cell batteries from Costco. It has worked well for us.

As far as camping in GSMNP area, you might want to check out campgrounds in the Townsend, TN area. It is less hectic than the Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg area. There is a KOA located there as well as nice independent campgrounds.

Camping with your kids is one of life's greatest pleasures!
linnemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 04:57 PM   #5

The parks publish their genset rules as stripe noted. I can tell you my Honda 3000i Handy (2700 continuous watts) would start, but not keep running my 15k genset. Two Honda 2000s are a great choice. I opted for a much less expensive Champion 3400. Will know tomorrow if my choice was sound.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 04:40 PM   #6

I recently bought the Champion 3400 inverter generator with the remote start. It will run my 15K AC unit. I caught it on sale for $849 with free shipping and no sales tax. The wife won't go camping without her coffee in the morning. I plan on exploring some of the Smokey Mountain forest service campgrounds in the Spring. Until then, we are heading for warmer climates.
Old 01-10-2017, 05:12 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphie View Post
........I opted for a much less expensive Champion 3400. Will know tomorrow if my choice was sound.
It was delivered, oiled and started on the second pull. Plugged in the FW and it runs the 15k AC, MW, and 120v residential fridge at the same time. I didnt try the HWH on electric. However, my Honda was rated at 59db, the same as this one. To my ears, it sounds louder but only a db meter would tell the truth. I think this is a good and far less expensive option than two 2000 Hondas.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 03:30 PM   #8

I also just sold a nearly brand new Yamaha 2400 watt Genny because our new trailer has a 15K btu a/c unit and purchased a new Champion 3400 with remote start. But while Champion assured me it will run my a/c I haven't tried it yet. It started first try though and I've done the breakin and oil change. It's pretty quiet. I'd say pretty much on par with my Yammy, but with more power I would expect it to be a bit louder.
parkerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 09:36 PM   #9

While out the other day, I wandered into the local Ace Hardware. They are now carrying an Echo Bearcat brand of inverter generators. I know the manager fairly well and asked him about them. He said he went bsck and forth trying to decide if he was going to bring in the Honda or Yamaha. In the end, he said the Echo just impressed him. He swore it was as quiet as the Honda and quite a bit cheaper. I have had great luck with Echo. All my lawn equipment: edger, backpack blower, chainsaw, etc is all Echo and I've never had a problem out of any of them. Anyone have any experience with the Echo Bearcat generators? The 3500w is $1399 and the 2000w's are $849 each. He said if I bought 2 of the 2000w's, he had a little room and could work with me on the price.
Mayberry32 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping, national