Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2007, 07:38 AM   #1

Letting everyone know if planning a trip to SD happy to steer you towards the best spots I know of
hvaczach is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2007, 07:38 AM   #2

Letting everyone know if planning a trip to SD happy to steer you towards the best spots I know of
Old 05-19-2007, 02:49 AM   #3
Nat

hvaczach, We are planning a June trip to SD. We'll be going to the Souix Falls area first then on to the Badlands and Black hills area. Beside the Mt Rushmore/Crazyhorse, what are some must see's and where are some good CG's. We have been looking at different brochures and see a lot of stuff we want to see, but it always helps if someone has already seen it to eliminate the " don't waste your time" stuff. Thanks, Nat

2002 Carraige 32' Triple slide
Nat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 04:56 AM   #4
paz

Nat, when visiting the Badlands, Wall Drug isn't too far out of the way so you might want to consider a stop. Those kinds of "touristy" places usually don't interest us, but we just wanted to say we have been there.

Another interesting stop on the way to the Badlands is the prarie homestead. It is located just before the eastern entrance to the Badlands. We find history interesting, and not just big events. We also like to find out how people lived in the past and how that shaped the area we are visiting. So, if that type of history is your thing, check out the homestead.

If you're going to be in Sioux Falls, you might as well check out the falls. They are in a park in the town.

I would also definitely recommend the Corn Palace in Mitchell. There are pictures made from corn inside and outside the building. They are amazing.

When visiting Rushmore, don't miss Needles Highway. The rock formations are fantastic. I recommend driving from south to north, especially if it's early or late in the day. The sun will be at your back most of the time.

Enjoy your trip.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 05:11 AM   #5

Wonderful area to visit. Dont miss the caves. Some parks have substandard power, it gets awfully hot with no air conditioning.
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 05:43 AM   #6

We just got back... to far for us to RV (CA) so we flew into Rapid City for 5 days...

Needles Hwy is a good drive (very small tunnels thru rocks). Iron Mountain Road was better, 3 tunnels that all face Mt Rushmore (fantastic) and some 360 degree turns (cool). Mammoth Site in Hot Springs. Wind Cave was 1 1/2 hours tour, I've seen better caves. Sturgis Motorcycle museum. Custer State Park had the bison. We enjoyed Bear Country USA, but didn't think Reptile World was worth it. Rapid City has the Journey Museum, a good historical viewpoint of the local area. and if you got the time, drive up to Sundance, Wyoming and see Devil's Mountain, 1 hour easy walk around the mountain was great. Good local shops to shop are in Keystone, Hill City and Custer. smiles, Steve & Terri

19' Scamp 5th wheel
Zigzag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 05:12 PM   #7
Nat

Steve and Terri, thanks for the reply. I think that we are going to print all the replies and take them with us. The Devils Tower walk is definetly going on the must do list. Thanks, nat

Old 05-25-2007, 07:49 AM   #8

Nat sorry it took so long for me to reply some covered good Ideas already Custer state park is always a fun inexpensive day lots of wildlife, also if you get up by deadwood and spearfish there are several water falls that a cool, I have never gone but my wife said the mammoth site was really boring, on the way wall drug is the original tourist trap but if you havn't ever been there its kinda fun. the badlands are really cool we take the drive everytime we go out there bear country and reptile gardens are tourist traps and I didn't enjoy bear country was dull to me but there are lots of historic spots all over the hills that are really neat depending on when you go in deadwood they do reenactments of gun battles and of hickocks murder its free as I remember, One thing I suggest for a night out go to the alpine inn in hill city its great steak your choices are large and small for supper {fillet mignon} plus they have kids menu if traveling with kids but I believe the large was less than 13 dollars I am sure I am missing stuff and if I think of more I will post some more.Spearfish canyon is where the water falls are and 1 suggestion for a day trip is Sylvan Lake they do have camping but I don't think they have electrical sites there is a state campground that does its south of hot springs on the Angostura resovoir otherwise your best bet for electric is a private ground
Old 05-27-2007, 05:11 AM   #9
Nat

Hvaczach, Vickie and I , and another couple are coming out to SD starting on Fri, June 1st. It will take us a few days to get there. We are going to stop at Souix falls for a couple days to see the area then west to Rapid City, Badlands, Black Hills area.
Can You give us the name of a few good CG's or State Parks that make it easy to get around the area? We have a 32' 5RV and they have a 30' Class C. We would rather be out in the country, not in town, and neither of us have kids, they're grown and gone. Thanks, Nat

Old 05-30-2007, 05:41 AM   #10

If you havn't made reservations by now the sioux falls area will be imposible for state sights there is a camp america in Salem SD that you can get into most likely and some private grounds around sioux falls maybe when you get to the hills there are campgrounds all over I know there a couple real nice ones by custer for private grounds state grounds are limited if you want electrical sites
Old 05-30-2007, 04:42 PM   #11
Nat

Thanks, We never know if we need reservations or not, and if we make them we find another place we would have liked better, but have already made some and the first place we call. We have had GC's to tell us they only had a couple sites left so we made the resivations only to find out when we got there that campsites were vacant all over, I guess they needed the money. We try not to have resivations anywhere so we can shop around when we get there. Thanks, Nat

Old 05-31-2007, 04:14 PM   #12

There are two RV parks in Keystone, SD. A small town within sight of Mt.Rushmore. Arise, get a cup of coffee, walk outside the RV and watch the sunrise change the look of the monument. There is absolutely nothing in this tiny town, but it is convenient to points of interest in all directions. I think Hot Springs and the mammoth site are a unique, relaxing day trip. The drive through Custer SP to get there is also a relaxing time.
There is so much to see/do in this area, I doubt we will ever see everything. In the town of Custer, suspended from a 2nd story balcony, there used to be a replica of a hanged man. Oddly enough the sign on the "body" said "Will Fowler, hanged for horse thief. I strongly deny any relationship!
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 03:10 PM   #13

While we were in Souix Falls in July several years ago, the city put on a drama and light show in the city park by the falls about the local indian history, very impressive. I would find out when they put this on because it was very impressive. ( I think its on Friday nights.--make sure you bring blankets and jackets, because it got quite cool there in the evening.) Also while in Rapid City make sure you visit hill city and Keystone. Really nice walking around towns (and eats). s/Toby
Old 06-19-2007, 10:00 AM   #14
Nat

Well, we just got back on Sun. to a thunder storm that fried the ethernet card. I got it repaired this afternoo and can tell you about the trip. We left Lexington on Fri morning June 1st. We went up thru VA, W.VA, Ky,In, Il,Mo,Ia, and then into SD. The first night there we stayed in a CG in Salem, a few miles west of Souix Falls.Lots od road work in Souix Falls that made it rough to get around. The CG was the prettiest and neatest I've ever been in. Two Ladies run it and the grounds are perfect, grass looks like it was cut with a laser it was so smooth ans the sites were gravel that was a smooth as concrete.
Vickie and I and another couple were side by side and the next RV was also from NC. I talked to the owner and he only lives 25 miles away from us, small world.
We toured around the area and then went on to Mitchell to see the Corn Palace. It was a neat side trip and the thing that made it nice to me was the fact that the young lady who shoued us around said she had 14 dance recitals, 2 Senior Proms and her High School Graduation there. She said it was a big part of everyday life for her.
We then went to Rapid City area. We stayed at the Holy Smoke CG, about a mile from Keystone. We drove the senic route down to Custer State park. I had read about the tunnels, but didn't anticipate them being just blasted out of the rock. There were a set of 2 tunnels a few feet apart and when you come thru the second tunnel there framed in the center is Mt Rushmore. That is one of the most inspiring sights I've ever seen. We spent 3 days just looking around the area seeing Rushmore ,Crazy Horse, Bear country, a couple diner shows, and some beautiful country. On Fri. the temp was only in the low 40's and I didn't even pack a pair of socks. COLD FEET.
We left there and drove the senic route up to Deadwood, not as impressive as I'd hoped but still nice.
We then went to Devil's Tower, and wish I could have spent a few weeks there just relaxing and watching the sky at night. We stayed in the park, so no W/P/S, but not a problem.
There were 2 young guy's there in the next campsite that had just graduated from college and were backpacking around for a few weeks. I had the come over for some NC style hot dogs, you know, mustard , chilli, slaw, and onions. They seemed to love them and we sat out and talked the stars into the sky. It makes a trip enjoyable to do something like that at times.
We left Wy. and went to Sturgis. I had to get my partner and nephew a hat. We ate at Knuckles bar, good food and my favorite kind of beer, cold. Next stop was Wall. Vickie abd Becky shopped till they nearly dropped, I took a nap. Next was the Badlands. Everyone needs to see it with the roling prarie on one side and the badlands on the other it was a sight to see.
We decided to go thru NE on the back roads so we left Wall and headed fo NE. I'm here to tell you that if all the corn I saw planted makes it to maturity, there shouldn't be a hungry person in the whole world. We went across IA and camped on the most unlevel site I have ever been on. I thought Ia was flat!
We went thru IL and In on the way back but didn't have time to stop and see anything. The next stop was Louisville Ky and the Bat Factory. Vickie and I and our kids saw it years ago, but Becky and Flash hadn't so we saw it again and still enjoyed it.
At our last night stop in W. Va the first person was and old friend from a few miles down the same road we live on so the "small world" thing was reinforced.
We drove 4112 miles and it cost us 1003.39 for fuel ranging from 2.59 to 3.09 per gal. Attractions cost 172.87 and camping cost us 378.42 with sites from 12.00 to 36.12.
A trip like that can cost a lot of money, but the years of memories are worth every cent. It is really nice to travel and see new things with a spouse who is still the love of my life and having good friends along makes it double good. The men beating the women 15 to 10 in games of hand and foot make it even more emjoyable. Nuff for now. Later, Nat