Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2021, 05:16 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredbutWorking View Post
I understand the rules of the forum, but this is a political issue. Politics led to the issue the thread is based upon.

You really must like to argue. The OP’s question has been answered
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2021, 05:29 PM   #30

Hunting, fishing, running away from home?

Texas bans camping on public property.
So it sounds like1 if you are out fishing, birdwatching, hunting, hiking on public property you may be fined $500 if you dare to camp, sleep, or even stop. Wow, can you stand all this "freedon". The eyes of Texas really ARE on you.
Old 09-09-2021, 05:45 PM   #31
jem

Texas

There is no reason to be homeless in Texas employers are begging people to work my brother said he would hire a warm body at this point to work the counter in his supply store right now and the pays $18 shout
Old 09-09-2021, 05:49 PM   #32

Heard Wal Mart is stopping the overnite RV parking. Being abused to much.
Old 09-09-2021, 05:52 PM   #33

Camping in Texas

Edit: sorry this was in response to nightwatch’s post.

Maybe you should read the complete thread before you post and not believe everything that media with an agenda has to say.
Old 09-09-2021, 05:58 PM   #34

I apologize for bring this back to the original question posed by the OP, but ...

I don't believe that Texas has BLM land as such, but I do assume they have the equivalent and that it is possible to boondock there on whatever passes for BLM land in Texas, but does this law affect that as well?

I assume National Forests are Federal land and thus not covered by the Texas law, but what about State Forests (if there are such things) and other open public land in rural areas. Does this law prevent boondocking in those locations?
Old 09-09-2021, 06:10 PM   #35

I don't know of any such public land in Texas other than already mentioned National forest, some of which allow "dispersed camping" though even this may have some seasonal restrictions (it does in places in Louisiana), or state parks, which already have entry fee, camping fees, etc. Though if such exist I suspect it is covered here https://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/p...-to-do/camping
Old 09-09-2021, 06:17 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredbutWorking View Post
It is apparent that media outlets are not telling the full story of the public area camping ban. They probably didn't tell you that the majority of the citizens of Austin voted to ban homeless encampments and city officials thumbed there noses at the voters. They probably didn't tell you that local officials in Austin wanted to convert city parks and campgrounds into homeless camps. They probably didn't tell you that homeless people are attacking locals and tourists.
They may not have shown the cheap tents and tarps that are all over the Capitol City as well as other large metro areas in Texas. The State Legislature and the Governor had no choice but to step in and implement a statewide stature to protect everyone. Anyone that is getting peeved at Texas, because they are defending the rights of the majority, and wants to skip visiting is free to do so.
So don't go to Texas. More room for us...
Old 09-09-2021, 06:57 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
Thread Warning

Several posts have been removed due to political comments. Please keep responses to the original topic and keep politics out of the thread.

Thank you to those posting within the rules.
OK Lt Dan, I get why you haven't been to Hawaii, but Alaska? You have to do it to color in the rest of your map!
Old 09-09-2021, 07:05 PM   #38

I can't imagine any of us being in our motorhomes being hassled by the police in Texas, even if we were camped where we shouldn't be. Worst case, officer tells you, "hey you can't park here, can you move to somewhere else".
Old 09-09-2021, 07:21 PM   #39

I have had owners of million dollar RVs brag about rarely using campgrounds and how long they can boondock. It seems to be a bizarre game and its not safe, smart or even that economic. Walmart's parking lot is not public. It's private property. If you get permission to camp out there overnight, then you should be okay. If they say "no" and you do it anyway, they could and should call the police. If your HOA allows you to park along side its road, then you can probably do it. That assumes that you wouldn't be blocking traffic. In some neighborhoods in TX, you can get a ticket if you park in front of your own house instead of in your driveway, but the police don't usually do that unless they get a complaint. In Houston, the police obviously have other more pressing issues. We stayed long-term at a campground right next to a Walmart in north TX while we were looking for a house to buy. With the lights on all night and the noise from the refer trucks, it was quite unpleasant. It also didn't help that is was right next to the RR tracks. What a great location for a campground! In general, choose a campground, just not that one. They're safer, quieter and probably even have hookups.
Old 09-09-2021, 07:26 PM   #40

Winnebago Owners Club
Old 09-09-2021, 07:31 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
I don't know of any such public land in Texas other than already mentioned National forest, some of which allow "dispersed camping" though even this may have some seasonal restrictions (it does in places in Louisiana), or state parks, which already have entry fee, camping fees, etc. Though if such exist I suspect it is covered here https://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/p...-to-do/camping
------------------
Texas has a bit of public land other than National Forest, but not much and it is scattered. There was some speculation that BLS was trying to 'take' land along the Red River (Oklahoma/Texas border).
One example of public is NW of Fort Worth, the LBJ National Grasslands. Stock tanks, small lakes, camping, hunting.
Enjoy!
Old 09-09-2021, 07:34 PM   #42
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Hindson View Post
OK Lt Dan, I get why you haven't been to Hawaii, but Alaska? You have to do it to color in the rest of your map!
Been to both Alaska and Hawaii, just not in the RV since it can't swim. Alaska is on our RV bucket list.
Closed Thread

Tags
camping, texas