Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-24-2017, 11:01 AM   #1

Camping near Ft. Benning in Georgia

My wife and I plus two kids and a dog are going to Ft. Benning the day Spring Break is over which is the 17th. We are going for "Family Day" to see our son who is at Basic Training for the Army. Anybody have any recommendations for a camping location near the base?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2017, 12:54 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarGazer-1 View Post
My wife and I plus two kids and a dog are going to Ft. Benning the day Spring Break is over which is the 17th. We are going for "Family Day" to see our son who is at Basic Training for the Army. Anybody have any recommendations for a camping location near the base?
I have never been stationed at Ft Benning but I found this one.

https://benning.armymwr.com/us/benni...und-and-marina

Each base has a museum, these are always interesting to visit.

Thank your son for his service for me

Rob
US Army Ret
Old 02-24-2017, 03:00 PM   #3

Not a lot of good choices. Check www.allstays.com and then check www.parkreviews.com to confirm what will be good. I would suggest Roosevelt State Park at Pine Mountain or Pine Mountain RV Resort. The state park is very nice and either one will still be a 45 mile drive since Ft Benning is on the south side of Columbus, the good thing is most of that distance is 4 lane interstate (I-185). If you have a little extra time you can go to Callaway Gardens and/or Warm Springs, the FDR summer White House. Warm Springs is a touristy area. The RV resort is a little pricey, I would pick the State Park first.
Lastly, tell your son THANKS for his service. I had 2 sons that retired from the AF.
Old 02-24-2017, 08:23 PM   #4

There is a very good MWR campground on the base across the river in Alabama. The CG is very close to the main base and has full hookups. Your son should be able to "sponsor" you so you can camp there. Now, it usually depends on the rules of the local command. Your son should contact Morale, Welfare and Recreation office for more info. I assume The Army calls it MWR like the Navy. We have stayed there and really enjoyed it. The infantry museum is new and very interesting. I am retired so didn't have to make special arrangements. We were told you can watch a parachute drop near the campground on certain days.
Old 02-24-2017, 09:37 PM   #5

Have your son make a reservation at Uchee Creek for you, the CG office will help him since it will be his first contact with them.
He will need to accompany you(that may have changed since I was stationed there, the CG or MWR office will know) when you check-in at the CG because you will be his guests there, and is the responsible party.
Uchee Creek is not within the boundry of Ft. Benning, so no need to drive your RV through Benning at all.

Here is the latest information about Uchee Creek MWR CG.
The directions explain how to drive to the CG without entering the post. The page has a lot of detailed information, read it through carefully if you plan to stay at Uchee Creek.
FWIW, my 1st tour at FT. Benning was drill sergeant in OSUT company, 2nd was First Sergeant for OSUT company.
Please convey my congratulations, to your new soldier! Huaah!
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 07:45 AM   #6

We are definitely staying at Uchee Creek MWR CG! And thanks for telling me about this place. We called and the park told us that all we need is the commanders letter that we received to make a reservation.
Old 02-25-2017, 07:48 AM   #7

I want to thank you all for your suggestions. It was very helpful plus it gave us some ideas for future camping areas for future vacations.
Old 02-25-2017, 09:24 AM   #8

Ask your son if he can sponsor you into the base RV park. Usually one must fill out a form and fax it back for a security clearance for anyone over the age of 18. The clearance typically takes about 10 working days. If you travel with weapons, there are special procedures for that also and since you would be a visitor, weapons may not be allowed.
jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping