Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-11-2018, 12:55 PM   #1

Camping near Nappanee

Camping near Nappanee
I am starting to plan my service trip in April and figured after the long haul from FL, once I get there I will want to decompress for a day or two before the service date. I have located 2 campgrounds south of Nappanee - Pike Lake and Hoffman Lake Campgrounds.
Has anyone stayed at either of them and what do you think? Both have pull throughs - Hoffman seems to have more trees, Pike doesn't have any.
Seems the campgrounds don't open until Apr 15, luckily I will be arriving the 28th.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2018, 03:20 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi RKins,
Can't comment on the two you mentioned. If you'd like some other suggestions post here or PM me.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 03:30 PM   #3

We are awaiting an appointment for work on our unit during the same time frame and would be interested in available campgrounds in the area. We, also, will be traveling to Nappanee from Sarasota.
Old 11-12-2018, 03:10 AM   #4

Wow, what are the odds that two coaches from Sarasota are heading that way? My service date is May1, 2019. If you're in the same timeframe, it'd be cool to travel with you. I've narrowed down the campgrounds for the overnights on the way up there already, that I can share with you.

What did you calculate for time to get there? I am trying to stay at or under 300 miles a day, so it looks like 4 days for me. I know I'll be worn out after that and want a recharge day or 2.

Gary, unless they are top secret spots, can you share your spots with us?
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
Old 11-12-2018, 07:20 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
We stayed at Pla Mor in Bremen about 8 miles away from the Newmar factory . The water is from a well and was very rusty, I will never stay there again without the best filter in the world, my white hoses are still stained brown. I had a3 filter system and it would clog quickly.
Terry L T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 07:45 AM   #6

Thanks for the heads up Terry. Check that place off the list.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
Old 11-13-2018, 05:12 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Hi RKins,
No top secret spots. These are near Nappanee but do not meet the requirements of the OP. For me my posts try to answer what the OP asks.

Elkhart - Go to RV Camping at the Elkhart County 4-H Fairgrounds This is an excellent place to decompress.

Shipshewana - North at Home or South at https://shipshewanatradingplace.com/rv/ South gets you closer to Shipshewana center and those activities.

The only advice I can offer is:
1. Forget your diet. Take part in Amish cooking. In Shipshewana there is the Blue Gate. Nearby is Das Dutchmen Essenhaus. It is on Rt 20.
2. Take in the local theater. There is the Amish Inn, Blue Gate and one that the name escapes me.
3. Get ready for the 6 AM wake up knock on the door. Newmar starts early. A place to have and outstanding breakfast is The Dutch Kitchen.
4. Take the factory tour.
Old 11-13-2018, 06:33 AM   #8

[QUOTE=RKins;4495295]Wow, what are the odds that two coaches from Sarasota are heading that way? My service date is May1, 2019. If you're in the same timeframe, it'd be cool to travel with you. I've narrowed down the campgrounds for the overnights on the way up there already, that I can share with you.

What did you calculate for time to get there? I am trying to stay at or under 300 miles a day, so it looks like 4 days for me. I know I'll be worn out after that and want a recharge day or 2.

Sounds good! Once we get a date and, if it's close to yours, we'll coordinate some travel times. We're the same way -- 300 miles a day. We've stayed at the Elkhart fairgrounds back in our FROG (Forest River) days. One CG to stay away from is the Elkhart KOA -- rusty, rusty water!!

Skip & Terri
Old 11-13-2018, 10:05 AM   #9

Thanks for the spots Gary. BTW, I am the OP I did ask about the Lake spots but having plan B and C ready is always good.

I looked at the Fairgrounds on Google Earth and they are really crammed in there it seems. Maybe the dates I will be there it will not be packed. I bookmarked it though and it's only 18 miles from Bldg 42.

Shipshewana looks decent too - thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi RKins,
No top secret spots. These are near Nappanee but do not meet the requirements of the OP. For me my posts try to answer what the OP asks.

Elkhart - Go to RV Camping at the Elkhart County 4-H Fairgrounds This is an excellent place to decompress.

Shipshewana - North at Home or South at https://shipshewanatradingplace.com/rv/ South gets you closer to Shipshewana center and those activities.

No problem forgetting my diet My wife is flying up after the service, so then I will have be a good boy.

One of the things I'm getting done at Nappanee is I am getting my windshields pulled and reset plus with new seals/gaskets around the glass. That requires the coach staying in the shop overnight and me getting a hotel room for at least one night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
The only advice I can offer is:
1. Forget your diet. Take part in Amish cooking. In Shipshewana there is the Blue Gate. Nearby is Das Dutchmen Essenhaus. It is on Rt 20.
2. Take in the local theater. There is the Amish Inn, Blue Gate and one that the name escapes me.
3. Get ready for the 6 AM wake up knock on the door. Newmar starts early. A place to have and outstanding breakfast is The Dutch Kitchen.
4. Take the factory tour.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
Old 11-13-2018, 10:28 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkipnTerri View Post
Sounds good! Once we get a date and, if it's close to yours, we'll coordinate some travel times. We're the same way -- 300 miles a day. We've stayed at the Elkhart fairgrounds back in our FROG (Forest River) days. One CG to stay away from is the Elkhart KOA -- rusty, rusty water!!

Skip & Terri
Sounds good to me. I wonder if rusty water is the norm up there?
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
Old 11-13-2018, 04:00 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Rusty water does abound around Nappanee. This is why I did not recommend the KOA or Play-Mor. The CGs I recommended do not have rusty water.
Old 11-13-2018, 04:03 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
As to the motel for a night or two, for me, I KISS it and stay at the Amish Inn next to Newmar. It is Amish which means it is plain and simple. However, I have found it clean, accommodating and convenient. They have a Newmar rate.
Old 11-14-2018, 04:47 AM   #13

Thanks again for the info Gary.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
Old 11-22-2018, 06:39 AM   #14

When we are in that area we always use the campground at the flea market, usually less expensive but be warned no real shade trees. They did just expand and have a lot of sites.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping