Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2012, 05:03 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
camping pontiac mich ?

taking to grandbabys to detroit zoo. there 5 years old & like to camp around pontiac mich.any suggestion ?coming from bay city and heading south will be towing a car to drive to zoo.we haxe a 35' class c.just need a place to camp & rost a marshmallow.
thanks bob,linda & missy
new rver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2012, 06:53 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
we have thought many times about camping near detroit but no place near by so we end up using a condo we own near detroit thing is my 2 grandsons if you ask em 1 says they want to stay at the condo the other one says in the motor home ,if you find a place please post because i would be interested
brianj
Old 08-13-2012, 10:28 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We camp at Pontiac Lake state park regularly (couple times a year). Not "close" to the zoo, still about 45 minute drive, but about 15 minutes west of Pontiac. A large campground and rarely sold out, even on holiday weekends.

Proud Lake SP is also an option. It's probably easier to get to the Zoo from there as it's just a couple miles off I-96, so practically all freeway to the zoo, probably 30 minute drive. It's s/w of Pontiac, near Wixom. I've camped here as well, but it's been a few years since the last time.
Shadow520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:29 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
And there is a Jellystone (Branch of KOA from what I can find) at exit 101 on I-75.

Not sure exactly where it is from there since I've never stopped there.. I have at 101, just not there.

This time of year the Renessance Festival is in that neighborhood as well. (Holly MI/Groveland Twp)

I have "Friends" at that exit you see... (They are folks I know from when I was a working stiff).
Old 08-14-2012, 07:02 AM   #5

Proud lake State Park near Wixom is your best bet for the Zoo. As stated earlier it is about 30 minutes west of the Zoo. We stayed there for a couple nights with the grand Niece and Nephew on our annual trip to MI. from Florida. We camped there 35 years ago when we lived in Michigan. They have nice rest rooms, nice beach and recently installed new electric service with 50 amp service. Were installing new well while we were there. Beach is walking distance. At Pontiac Lake, you have to drive 5 miles to the beach. Both parks are nice but with kids I would choose Proud Lake.

Enjoy your trip and the time with the kids.

Bob & Lynda

Sunny Sebastian Fl.
bobwalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 05:07 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
thanks for replys
new rver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping