Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2017, 07:17 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Cool Campsites that feel like you're camping?

3 months into my RV experience, just wrapping up a 34 day rockies rally from Passport America. One small trip prior to this one, several campgrounds from VA to CO Springs then moving about every 2 days on this rally I've seen a good share of campgrounds so far. It seems the general theme is a RV parking lot, i.e. RV's close together, enough room for slides, some a bit wider between RV's. But no campgrounds so far make me feel like I'm camping. I did see one yesterday on our tour bus adventure where the campground actually did have near isolated locations for each RV in a forested area, that is what I'm looking for!

Anyone seen campgrounds or know of ones that make you feel more like camping vs. being in a trailer park community where the trailers all have wheels and some have motors? While typically the goal is get to the destination, get in your toad and go explore, I would like to find destinations that are more secluded, relaxing, feeling more in tune with nature.

Other than boondocking which I will probably do from time to time, while I do like some security of being around others, I'm interested to hear of RV destinations that do feel like camping in nature.
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2017, 07:34 AM   #2

Many Corp of Engineers campgrounds are perfect for you. Also check out state park, national parks and national forest and many municipal campgrounds. These are the ones we look for first, and falling back on the parking lot ones as a last resort.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 07:45 AM   #3

I agree with Bigd9—almost no commercial campgrounds are going to give you that "camping" feeling. Boondocking will. Many state parks, Corp of Engineer campgrounds, etc., will.
bfisher003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 08:14 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
3 months into my RV experience, just wrapping up a 34 day rockies rally from Passport America. One small trip prior to this one, several campgrounds from VA to CO Springs then moving about every 2 days on this rally I've seen a good share of campgrounds so far. It seems the general theme is a RV parking lot, i.e. RV's close together, enough room for slides, some a bit wider between RV's. But no campgrounds so far make me feel like I'm camping. I did see one yesterday on our tour bus adventure where the campground actually did have near isolated locations for each RV in a forested area, that is what I'm looking for!

Anyone seen campgrounds or know of ones that make you feel more like camping vs. being in a trailer park community where the trailers all have wheels and some have motors? While typically the goal is get to the destination, get in your toad and go explore, I would like to find destinations that are more secluded, relaxing, feeling more in tune with nature.

Other than boondocking which I will probably do from time to time, while I do like some security of being around others, I'm interested to hear of RV destinations that do feel like camping in nature.
Neal,

If you are still in The Black Hills - look at - Custers Gulch -
Home - has both - some out by the lake large and spacious - others by the pool close together and what is "Normal" for a CG. (Google if you don't have time to drive by)

If you want to really feel like "Camping" look at Boondocking - not as easy, in your rig, but still Possible - Use Google Maps to zoom in and pre-inspect - In my years of "Camping" there are only a few Camp Grounds I even remember, so for me it's either the Drive to the destination - then the Drive Around where I am, only tend to Sleep in the CG.

State Parks, Reservoirs, BLM are all just a little better than a "Commercial CG" - Get out and just talk to the other People in the CG - some - a few will be able to help you out.

You, will be surprised at how quick you learn what you Like and Dislike about RV'ing - just keep on the like side and it will be fine.

Love reading all your posts, your honesty is Just Refreshing.

Best of Luck,

ps they are out there just look - http://lookmomwerecamping.blogspot.com/
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 08:24 AM   #5

I'm agreeing with everyone else. The Corp of Engineer's parks are usually the most like camping. I've been very impressed with almost every one we've used. They seem to focus on keeping it natural. In my experience they usually don't have a sewer connect but they have dump stations. Sometimes they have water hookups, sometimes they don't. But they usually always have a spigot for filling up your water. The recreation.gov site will give you details on the COE campgrounds. State Parks are usually pretty good as well for the actual "Camping" experience. I've found the private campgrounds to usually be little more than parking lots. Some of them have lots of amenities, but none I've seen so far make you feel like you're camping.
TheTravler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 07:14 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post

Look over/Follow Firsttracks and his posts;

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f38/tr-sw...-a-358517.html

This is Camping/RV'ing the way you will remember where you've been, for a long time.

Everything but being "Connected", which I think is critical for you.

Your Coach, with the generator, can go and stay anywhere, BUT, can you stay Connected?

Lot's of options, Stay in the "CampGround" for 3 or 4 days (connected working) then get out of town for three or four days - In the wilds and Beauty of the Country.

Think you are doing pretty well, for the first few months.

Best of Luck,
Old 09-08-2017, 07:31 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
We just left two days at Ives Run a COE campground. It's located just south of Corning NY but in PA.

Large sites, 60-80' between neighbors w/blacktop pads, picnic tables and a hanging hook to keep things off the ground. We had water/50a some of the smaller sited also had sewer. Right next to a large reservoir. Trees at every site but we were able to get sat. service.

We're now in MA on our way to Bar Harbor ME.
NRA Endowment Life Member, FMCA 455593, WIT 170814 & Mid-Ohio Winnies
Cover Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 07:42 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cover Dog View Post
We just left two days at Ives Run a COE campground. It's located just south of Corning NY but in PA.

Large sites, 60-80' between neighbors w/blacktop pads, picnic tables and a hanging hook to keep things off the ground. We had water/50a some of the smaller sited also had sewer. Right next to a large reservoir. Trees at every site but we were able to get sat. service.

We're now in MA on our way to Bar Harbor ME.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Iv...4!4d-77.179307

We stay there when Coming or Going north, usually Rochester - Only issue is it is usually FULL, so reservations are necessary for a weekend.

Neal would enjoy it, I would think - but as he is out West, there are many State/COE/County reservoirs that have great, well laid out CG's. Ives is a great example of a Good Location in the East.

Again the places are there, just need to search and Talk,

JMHO,
Old 09-08-2017, 08:24 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
In the past 3 years we have stayed in a variety of "locations". These have ranged from RV resorts which almost always are like a parking lot. Some are dresssed up and spaced out slighty more.
State Parks these can vary from primitive electric only (many times 30 amp only) to just a cut above maybe 50 amp and a deluxe state park may have FHU. The expreience can also vary from packed in tight to roomy and space between.
Then there are the private campgrounds and KOA's. These generally have FHU and some amenities and can vary from the parking lot experience to a more true campground experience.
We stayed at a small private campground this past weekend and it was tight in areas and opened up in others. Campsites were all grass and had tent campers, to the large Class A's. Water and electric only. Along with this was a different crowd than what you experience at an RV resort.
So if you want to go for more of the "camping" experience then you may need to give up some of the FHU and may need to dry camp\boondock or only have electric\water.
There are some exceptions to this but they are far and few between. Nice resort with all the amenities and give you that out in the woods camping feel are a rarity.
Old 09-08-2017, 09:57 AM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We've never had the 'camping' experience you speak of, out in our part of the NW (Montana, Idaho).

Grew up in the Smokey Mountains and they had excellent campgrounds back then. Have no idea what they're like today. Anyone with an update? We've been here over 15 yrs so I'm sure it's different in the Smokeys now, just not sure how or how much...
Old 09-08-2017, 10:12 AM   #11

Well, I see two problems immediately:

First is that you can't really call what you are doing camping in my book. You are RVing, just like the rest of us. Camping is an experience in nature without all the comforts of home (and more than many homes).

Second, you will find that few of the places that you seem to want to go can accommodate a coach as long, wide and tall as yours is. The really pretty campgrounds that we find all the time are old. They have to be to have big trees. Some are really old, both the trees and the campground are and many of those will not be FHU and may not have cable and Wifi for you.

Frank
F76Marion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 10:16 AM   #12

Best you can do without boon docking is to select a nicely wooded campground and go there in the off season. Convince the check in folks to let you pick a spot away from other campers.
Old 09-08-2017, 12:43 PM   #13

Thor Owners Club
KZ RV Club
I think you will find that many if not most of the "for profit" campgrounds try to use the space they have efficiently (for them) which is a good business practice, not necessarily beneficial to the customer.
As others have stated above, COE and State or National parks are able to give more "space" per campsite. However, while you may have electricity and in some cases water at these parks, it is likely there will not be WiFi, cable TV (and in many cases limited or no over the air TV) or sewer hookups at the individual sites.
If you want the space and are willing to forgo the extras, by all means use the government sponsored campgrounds. They are less expensive too most of the time.
LandKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 01:43 PM   #14

We don't own a MH yet, however, we've been going to all the local campgrounds and checking them out to see what will fit a 43' DSDP.

So far we have gone to every CG within a 2-3 hour drive from our home in the Atlanta area. Once we get it, we need to practice and want to find where we can go locally, quickly.

We started with Mountain Falls near Asheville. Wow, we were blown away by the MHs there and then the price ($$$$) and how clean it was and the little houses that were being put up. We hadn't realized that you could purchase lots at places like that. Very nice, beautiful and like a spa for your MH.

We then went to Fort Yargo State Park which is literally in our backyard. We've gone there for all kinds of activities and have never once noticed RVs. Compared to the layout of Mountain Falls and a CG like that it was eye opening for us noobs. Lots of trees, narrow and lots of angles for the big rig. We didn't actually see any big rigs which made us aware of how you would maneuver one in tight spots like that. There weren't a lot of flat spots for a 43' MH either. I started to pay attention to that.

We've gone up to Blairsville and seen the CGs in the northern end of GA and went through the mountains wondering how a MH would handle the steep passes and hairpin turns...we did a DS test drive then and the sales person showed us the braking system and we breathed a sigh of relief.

We went to every CG around Lake Lanier; literally every one. Some are super nice and will work for sure with a big rig and some were so ratty I was shocked to see someone gave them 4 stars on the park advisor site...had to be rigged. One was a seemingly homeless shelter with old, dead MHs and we were afraid to drive in with our pickup!

We've gone into South Carolina on day trips and looked all over Lake Hartwell and the whole area around there. Similar to Lake Lanier. Super nice to not so nice. Lake Greenwood has a super, out of the way, MH resort. We really liked it once we found it.

My husband is having the same concerns Neal is having. How to find CGs that will fit a 43' MH and enough room between us and the neighbors. I've told him solar will be our friend and so will boondocking. So will going out west. The south east is pretty tight.

You all have great suggestions. I spend so much time on here researching from all your suggestions!
yogus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping