Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2019, 07:23 PM   #15

Just take up cigar smoking, that should keep the mosquito away. You'll die of lung, throat or mouth cancer in a couple of decades but you won't get EEE.
In all seriousness I wouldn't let it affect my trip. Like the previous posters have noted your risk of dying in an automobile wreck or getting struck by lightning is higher. Go and enjoy your trip.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2019, 07:47 PM   #16

One thing is for sure. You are going to die. Enjoy yourself before it happens. If it was a big deal, you would have heard about it on the national news. Fear mongering at best. Put on deet if you are worried about it.
Old 09-11-2019, 05:16 PM   #17

Forest River Owners Club
Department of Agricultural Resources is spraying for mosquitoes in the critical areas,may have already done so in my town as there is a noticeable drop in pesky bugs here. https://www.masslive.com/worcester/2...-counties.html . Lot of info on Mass.gov as to precautions one should take.
n-e-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 06:06 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by winniman View Post
If it was a big deal, you would have heard about it on the national news.
Well... here it is on national news and many more reports if you do a search on the news channels.

https://www.foxnews.com/search-resul...q=eee+mosquito
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 06:21 PM   #19

Just come back from the cape today in MA, Noticed EEE warnings on all the highways that we drove on. Before today never heard of it, DW googled it while I drove... not a good prognosis if you get it to say the least! Not trying to sound the alarm as we would still go but use more caution.

Mike
Old 09-12-2019, 07:43 AM   #20

Thanks all for the input.

I believe in taking calculated risks, but am feeling very risk averse about after dusk outdoor activities at the campground in MA. Especially considering less than one town away is a town that has been risk classified as conditions are likely for human infection.

I hope all who choose to go in these conditions have a safe and enjoyable trip!
ScenicView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 02:45 PM   #21
NXR

23 and Me says I'm good to go in the mosquito bite and other categories!

Seriously, though, my wife's profile says she is more likely to get bit and she does. I rarely get bit or I just don't feel it or react to it, I guess.

Ray
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	23andme.PNG
Views:	37
Size:	147.9 KB
ID:	260134  
Old 09-12-2019, 04:25 PM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Cancelling Trip for EEE Risk - Anyone Else?

This is a personal risk decision. I wouldn’t make it into a poll.
cyclist922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 06:48 PM   #23

i ask a vet about it and his response was (without missing a beat) "don't act like a horses ass"
beaverfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 03:31 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
My wife's Northern Minnesota relatives recommended "Naturally Northwoods" insect repellant. Made in Wisconsin from all natural ingredients, (NO DEET). Mostly sold in stores in WI, with a few in MN and IL. They claim that it works so well that the lumberjacks use it while on the job. We bought some at a grocery in Ely, MN (Boundary Waters Canoe Area). It smells good and really works.

You can buy it online or check for stores at https://www.naturallynorthwoods.com/
Old 09-14-2019, 04:22 PM   #25

Now that it's mid-September the mosquito population would be way down.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 03:02 PM   #26

If it makes you feel any better, I am from the south east area of MA and they have done extensive aerial spraying. They still tell you to take precautions to cover their butts but I think you’d be safe. We use cutters yard fogger whenever we are sitting out at night having a fire. Works great! Haven’t been bit once this season.
K-lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 03:03 PM   #27

We live in Massachusetts and cancelled our September weekends and move them to October after its a bit colder. As mentioned above its a personal decision however... it's all easy to say the risk is low but 25 years ago my wife (GF at the time) got Encephalitis by a mosquito while apple picking in Western Mass and almost died. She woke up in the hospital a month later. As a result, she has epilepsy that can't be controlled with medicine, and has been on disability for over 20 years.

Sure the risk is small but in Mass right now there are as many EEE infections in one state that are usually the whole country. That statistics would indicate it is small until it happens to you... then it can be a life changing big deal. RVing for us is supposed to be fun so we are fine with changing plans if we don't feel well or are concerned about crap like EEE. Its all a personal choice for what is fun for you.
Keyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 03:05 PM   #28

I don't blame you for posting. EEE, while only affecting a small percentage, is a serious threat, 30% don't make it. You can always take a bath in Deet and go for it.

I read there are 5 New England states (CT, RI, NH, VT, and ME) that have problems with ticks and Lyme disease too. A Deet bath should help keep those varmits at bay too.

Varmits... they're nearly everywhere.
SR-71 is offline   Reply With Quote