Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2021, 07:38 PM   #1

Care To Share All Time Favorite Locations?

Was reading another post that stated "one of our favourite places", and it got me thinking (Dangerous!).

I have a spreadsheet I started many many years ago from reading forums, blogs, YouTubers and add to it often as something peeks an interest. It is broken down by states/provinces, and can be sorted by regions or nearest towns. When we are planning a trip I can look to see what else we should easily side trip to as we travel. Sometimes it's just a gorgeous boondocking location to fish/kayak besides a lake, an interesting small town, other times it's been a ghost/mining town, a stunning vista or cultural interest.

Anyway's I thought it would be nice for us all to share our favourite state, favourite town/area and most importantly the big why it is so? If 2, 3 or 4 are equal weighted in your mind you'd go back to again and again then great but share the big why you would/do. Also sometimes a place has something negative, so do share that tidbit of info as well if you'd be so kind.

For us the first state would be Florida for the variety. From pristine beaches, to swamp lands, Moss draped trees and Old Oaks, some parts are still very "yesteryear" and small town feel which we love exploring. The flora, fauna, ocean life, ability to swim, snorkel, kayak, fish our heart out = tons of variety for our interests. The two biggie things I personally struggle with are the humidity and allergy to insects (Noseeums, sand fleas, mosquitos). We try to pick our timing for sure.

Our second state would be Montana and particularly the mountains and terrain in the Northern parts (Gates of the Mountains/Yellowstone). We love everything to do with rodeos, ranching, horse riding, wild west, rivers and white water rafting.

Our third place would be our own backyard here in Alberta The Rockies and Foothills - skiing, white water rafting, snowmobile, horse riding and some fishing.

One place that totally caught us by surprise was New York City = Day 1 we absolutely hated it but by Day 3 and 19 miles of walking under our belts we were totally in love with the big apple. Who'd have thunk it?

Looking forward to reading your favourites and why. Thanks for sharing for so many to enjoy.
SomeDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2021, 07:44 PM   #2

EZ. the Black Hills in SD in fall.
Old 01-26-2021, 07:56 PM   #3

Back in the hills outside of Custer, SD, on the NFS logging trails. (Boondocking, I should add.)

(ETA: Forgot the "why?" part. It's beautiful, it's usually deserted - no one at all within hearing or sight - it's free, and Custer is a quick 2-4 mile ride. And, I love the Needles Highway on my motorcycle.)

Have to second your opinion of NYC. I'm a walker. I could spend a month walking Manhattan and never tire of it. Of course, I'd have to sell the RV to afford a month of NYC hotels.

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 08:49 PM   #4

Northern Michigan, Colorado, Idaho, Oregon, Washington, Utah
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 06:43 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
North Rim of the Grand Canyon...we are into big trees and deer plus there is the big hole. Unlike the S Rim with 6 lanes for traffic (+ a train) there’s only one lane into the N Rim. One time we did have to wait for a minute while the car in front asked a lot of questions of the Ranger.

Yellowstone/Tetons are high on our list too ...so many things to do, even in the winter.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 08:08 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDay View Post

...... I thought it would be nice for us all to share our favorite state, favorite town/area and most importantly the big why it is so? If 2, 3 or 4 are equal weighted in your mind you'd go back to again and again then great but share the big why you would/do. Also sometimes a place has something negative, so do share that tidbit of info as well if you'd be so kind.

Looking forward to reading your favorite's and why. Thanks for sharing for so many to enjoy.
  1. Favorite State
  2. Favorite Town
  3. Area
  4. Why

First off - for me it's the Rocks, the Mountains - I've lived my entire life on the Water - Dad was Navy Submarines - We spent almost my entire young life on one Coast or the other - Plus some time on an Island in the Middle of the Pacific - He retired in Annapolis, Maryland where I graduated from HS and College - then Raised my two boys here living, in the country and Playing on the water - Before moving to the water and Continuing to Play on the water, but discovering the Love of the Mountains.

Early on I went from Riding Waves to Riding Frozen water on the side of Steep Hills then Mountains - creating the Love of Rocks.

OK that takes care of the why I Love, what I Love!

1 - Colorado - Beautiful - still Wild - 4X4 trails to die for - more areas to focus on than time to do it - Foot Hills, Superior (Granddaughters live there).

2 - Area's - Collegiate Peak's, Buena Vista, Salida, Leadville, Red Cliff - San Juan's, Ouray, Silverton, Lake City, - RMNP, Grand Lake, Lyons, yes even Estes - Steamboat Springs - Montrose - Grand Mesa - Marble - Maroon Bells ......... (in no particular order) ......... at some point there has to be a Limit - BUT - the Truth is - I have never driven a road in Colorado one West of the Foothills that I did not enjoy!

3 - Why - pretty simple for me - It's America - It's Beautiful - It's Wild - It has Seasons - All the Seasons are just the Best. Fact is they are all just the best - Fall with the Aspen - Summer with Cool Crisp Nights - Winter , with the Rocks in the Winter Whites - Spring , with the Green Rebirth of it all.

Little more of the Story - as a young kid moving from one Coast to the other we almost always stopped in the National Parks in the Middle of the Country - so that's when the Love/Curiosity began, the Seed was planted and has just continued to grow - In College son was invited to Vail to play Lacrosse - Big Summer Tournament - we went for all four years of College - flying into a different airport each year and driving to Vail rom all directions - spending a week + in Vail, in the Summer - OMG - Did we Love it!

2002 Son Moved to Colorado Full Time - so we've been every year - actually packed up and Moved out there 8 years ago - Only lasted for a few months as son got a job back here for a couple years - but just couldn't stay on the East Coast, and quickly moved back to Colorado.

So what I'll leave with is a Couple links that will catch your eye;

Stan's Album - https://www.pbase.com/sparker1/root%26view=tree - not just Colorado.

Aspen from another RV'er - https://lynn.smugmug.com/Travel/Colo...pens/i-tsVRkXg

YouTube -

Hope this is what you were after,

edit here - Only Negative is simple, just too much to see in a Lifetime!

Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 08:31 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Wow, tough for me. I too have spent my adult life near the water ( and under the water). I too love the mountains, likely why we picked up a lot in the NC Hills.
I worked in Alaska for over 15 years, it's truly a beautiful place. If you like playing in the cold and killin stuff, it's really fun.
I grew up in NY, so I enjoy city life sometimes as well. I loved NYC as a teenager and young adult, I enjoy taking my wife back every so often to enjoy the hustle. tough place to raise a family.
I've been a traveling man most of my life, guess I'm still searching for the perfect place. Key is to enjoy the search, not just the destination.
We have only been RVing for a few years, so jury is still out on best. We will keep rolling enjoying as many as we can.

Cheers,
j
New2road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 08:59 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Northern NY in the Adirondack's during the color changes.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 09:09 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
National parks. All 400+. Many scenic state parks. Scenic drives, several hundred in US and CA.
Old 01-27-2021, 09:12 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
National parks. All 400+. Many scenic state parks. Scenic drives, several hundred in US and CA.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._United_States

Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 11:57 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Guess the difference is NP and np.
“While the National Park System comprises 423 national park sites, only 63 of them have the “National Park” designation in their names. The other sites fall into different National Park System categories like National Historic Sites, National Monuments, National Seashores, National Recreation Areas, and others.”
I’ve been lucky enough to visit 50+ of the NPs.

As a flat lander, (Fla boy) it’s easy to love the mountains, even those in GA.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 12:43 PM   #12

This is an easy one for me. San Juan Islands off the coast of Washington. And in particular Friday Harbor. Sits in the ‘rain shadow’ is Seattle area so weather is usually much better. Beautiful harbors and boats and captains. Orcas seen from land and lots of bald eagles on land. Interesting history (the Pig War etc) and lovely vistas. And don’t forget the ferry rides. Anacordes Island and Mt Constitution. And then there’s Mike Voury to to talk with. Retired ranger and expert on history of the area and especially Gen. George Picket.
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 07:17 PM   #13

What a tough question! We love the Eastern Sierra and the Western Sierra (very different places). We also love the Washington Cascades, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, and Utah.

But the most jaw-dropping place we've ever been would be the Canadian Rockies. This is what the whole place looks like, everywhere you go:

Click For Full-Size Image.
Old 01-28-2021, 12:03 PM   #14

Wow, there exudes so much passion by many of you on your favourite places.

Awesome to read as we like such a varied amount of different things, mainly activity related but also stunning views, vistas and occasional people watching. Alas, I can't help my personality that gets bored pretty quickly - 3 days of being there, done it, and I'm often ready to move on a little ways with great anticipation, longing to know what awaits us around the next bend, and the next water body.

Thanks so much to all of you for sharing your where's and why's.

Keep em coming
SomeDay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat