RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2018, 11:21 AM   #1

Carpinteria campground length question

Hi there!
Has anyone recently camped at Carpinteria in CA? We have a spot reserved in San Miguel where the pad length is 21ft. We have a 27ft travel trailer and will fit but ONLY if we are able to back all the way up. Basically we need about 8ft of overhang room. We called yesterday and they said they think we will fit but just trying to figure out anyone else's experiences here.
Thank you in advance!
lacyserrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2018, 11:24 AM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
How much room from your rear tire to back of trailer. That will give you the answer.
BuzzWolfAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 11:25 AM   #3
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If they said it will fit then go for it. Iíve put a 36í MH in what the CG ( a different one ) listed as a 15í site. Iíd been there before and I knew Iíd fit.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 11:28 AM   #4

We camped there in a small 26’ class A and just fit. Also we didn’t have a neighbor on one side. Don’t think I could have got in there if both neighbors were there.

They do have large spots for big rigs but are dry camping only, no hookups. We got booted there for the weekend as we didn’t have reservations.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 01:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzWolfAR View Post
How much room from your rear tire to back of trailer. That will give you the answer.
It's 8ft from back tire to back of trailer. I guess I am more so trying to determine if anyone knows if there is actually 8ft of room behind us to back in ALL the way
Old 04-23-2018, 01:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
We camped there in a small 26í class A and just fit. Also we didnít have a neighbor on one side. Donít think I could have got in there if both neighbors were there.

They do have large spots for big rigs but are dry camping only, no hookups. We got booted there for the weekend as we didnít have reservations.
It's for Memorial weekend so everything else is booked up unfortunately. Do you happen to know the distance of your back tire to the back of the trailer by chance? Ours is 8ft and if we are able to back up ALL the way, we should just fit.
Old 04-23-2018, 01:16 PM   #7

you can use google maps satellite view over the campground to get a better idea, but most campgrounds give you plenty of room, even though they may 'state' that it is a 21' site... more than likely that is just the pure length of the 'concrete' parking pad, not the total usable room of the site.
If your length between your hitch leg and your rear tires is less than 21', you'll be plenty fine... I'll bet you'll also have room to park your tow vehicle, as well.

Most rv parks and campgrounds way 'underestimate' the actual usable lengths of their sites. Who 'measures' these things is unknown, but apparently they also consider tow vehicle parking, as well.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 01:35 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterT View Post
you can use google maps satellite view over the campground to get a better idea, but most campgrounds give you plenty of room, even though they may 'state' that it is a 21' site... more than likely that is just the pure length of the 'concrete' parking pad, not the total usable room of the site.
If your length between your hitch leg and your rear tires is less than 21', you'll be plenty fine... I'll bet you'll also have room to park your tow vehicle, as well.

Most rv parks and campgrounds way 'underestimate' the actual usable lengths of their sites. Who 'measures' these things is unknown, but apparently they also consider tow vehicle parking, as well.

Our spot is 425 on this link below. You can look at the spot from 424 as well to get a better view. It's just hard to tell if it will be at least 8ft. I wasn't too worried until a few people told me how strict they are being.

From our rear tires to the end of the tongue, it is 21ft. So we just need the entire 8ft behind us.

https://www.campsitephotos.com/campg...tate-beach-425
Old 04-23-2018, 01:43 PM   #9
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Can't answer your question. But saying hi from a graduate of Carpinteria HS. Long long ago. What a beautiful beach. I used to surf there often.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 01:54 PM   #10

I say YES, here's why:

when you look at the photo of 425, you'll notice that while you back up into a shaded/curbed area, the fence is actually on the other side of the grassy area...giving you the option to 'overhang' the curb, if you need to...though I suspect you won't have to, but the option will be there...and, it looks like you'll also have a little shade - NICE!
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 01:55 PM   #11

Have camped in this park, though in the Santa Rosa section. If you get within a few inches of being *behind* the white line (ill get to this in a moment), they will allow you to use cribbing to lift the trailer tires to the height of the curb. You can then back up to JUST before the tire touches the curb and gain a few inches if necessary.

The *helpful* workcampers that are in the Carpinteria SB-Santa Rosa campground will absolutely kick you out of your campsite if the tongue of your trailer or bumper breaches the inside section of the white line (the line that indicates the front of your campsite). That white line is like 4 inches wide, but you are not allowed to have the tongue or bumper of your RV over it, must be behind. I had to crib the tires of my trailer to gain a few inches AND angle the trailer in the space to get the tongue behind the line.

How did the new reservation system work for you?
Gavenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 02:18 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavenger View Post
Have camped in this park, though in the Santa Rosa section. If you get within a few inches of being *behind* the white line (ill get to this in a moment), they will allow you to use cribbing to lift the trailer tires to the height of the curb. You can then back up to JUST before the tire touches the curb and gain a few inches if necessary.

The *helpful* workcampers that are in the Carpinteria SB-Santa Rosa campground will absolutely kick you out of your campsite if the tongue of your trailer or bumper breaches the inside section of the white line (the line that indicates the front of your campsite). That white line is like 4 inches wide, but you are not allowed to have the tongue or bumper of your RV over it, must be behind. I had to crib the tires of my trailer to gain a few inches AND angle the trailer in the space to get the tongue behind the line.

How did the new reservation system work for you?
Oh that is good to know!! I think it will definitely be depending on if we will have a full 8ft behind us though! As long as we can back all the way up without hitting the fence, we should fit just behind the white line.

And I have been hearing they are super strict is what has me a bit nervous!

The reservation system has been working fine for me - I have a few spots reserved and have had no issues so far!

Tags
california, california camping, campground, camping, carpinteria, pad length, trailer length