Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-28-2012, 05:26 PM   #1

CC trip - recommended places to see?

I'm interested in y'alls thoughts on specific RV parks or tourist sites you have been to that you loved or places you wish you would have gone.

In about one month we begin our 90 day cross country trip from CA to RI. Unfortunately we will not be returning to CA since we are military and permanently transferring. Our first leg will be to UT where we will stay for approx 1.5 months. From UT we are tentatively planning on hitting the following:

WY - Yellowstone,
SD - Mount Rushmore,
CO - Denver,
KS - our TH manufacturer plant,
OK - OK City
TX - Dallas and San Anton,
TN - Nashville,
NC - Asheville,
VA - VA Bch,
D.C.,
NY - NYC, and finally
RI.

We will try to stay at military campgrounds as much as possible. But if anyone has been to any of our proposed stops (or anywhere in between) and found a RV Park or tourist site that you absolutely loved and would recommend, I would appreciate hearing about it. If there's a stop that is a MUST see and not on our proposed route, please let us know, we are flexible. We want to make the most of this opportunity to have an awesome family vacation!

Btw, I use the following websites to locate RV parks and read reviews:
RV Campgrounds, RV Camping, RV Rentals, RV Parks, RV Resorts - Woodalls
RV Park Reviews :: Home
U.S. Military Campgrounds and RV Parks

Thanks!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-29-2012, 05:16 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi timbuktu78,
I'm sure you know all the major things to see. My suggestions are for the sites not so well known, but still important. In the Western states consider:
In South Dakota:
1. I90, exit 131 is the HQ for the Minuteman Missile NHS. Go to Minuteman Missile National Historic Site (U.S. National Park Service) and read about it. Reservations are a must.

2. I90, exit 131 Prairie Homestead. Go to Badlands, South Dakota Attraction - Prairie Homestead and read about it.

3. I90, exit 131 Badlands NP, go through the Badlands and exit the park via the South entrance. A couple of mile from the south entrance is the Badlands KOA. Go to https://koa.com/campgrounds/badlands/reserve/ for details. I suggest this CG because it is easy to spend a day at the NP and then the evening at the amphitheater to view the sky. At the south entrance to the NP there is an amphitheater. Go to the amphitheater at sunset. About 90 minutes after sunset it will be so dark you can not see your hand in front of your face. This is important because once your eyes get used to the darkness the sky will be full of stars. I do mean full. There is no other place I have ever been where the night sky has very little black. There are just too many stars. One can see the Milky Way Galaxy, planets, Russian satellites keeping a watch on our missiles. Touring the Badlands one can stay on the main road loop and see (short hikes) more than one would expect.

4. Wall Drug - At the western end of the badlands. Go to walldrug.com and read about it. It is a tourist stop. The best buffalo burgers are served here. The kids will like all the tourist stuff they can buy. This is one of those must stops. Once in the area, everyone will ask if you stopped at Wall Drug.

5. Mammoth Site, Hot Spring, SD. This is an active archeology site. All indoors and HVAC controlled. Go to Welcome to The Mammoth Site in Hot Springs, South Dakota and read about it. The kids will really like this stop.

In Wyoming consider:
6. If you're going to Billings on the way is Devils Tower (Devils Tower National Monument (U.S. National Park Service) ) and the Little Big Horn Battlefield. ( Little Bighorn Battlefield National Monument (U.S. National Park Service) ). There is a little known NHS called The Medicine Wheel NHS (I90 exit 9 in Wyoming). Go to http://www.medicinewheel.com/ and about it. If you go, leave the RV at an I90 CG. Do not take it on Rt 14. Pack a lunch or eat at the restaurant where RT 14 and RT 14A split. The Medicine Wheel is at 10K' above sea level. From the ranger station is is 1 1/2 mile walk to the site. I've been there many times (in the summer) and always encountered snow. Take warm clothes.

In Utah consider:
7. Salt Lack City area - The site to see is Antelope Island. One can swim in the Great Salt Lake. There are several beaches and eating facilities. There is also a 23% grade that is fun to go up then down (in the car, not the RV). Go to http://www.utah.com/stateparks/antelope_island.htm and read about it.

In Colorado consider:
8. Forgetting about Denver. Instead go to the Estes Park area and spend some time in Rocky Mountain National Park (RMNP).

9. Pikes Peak - Nice day trip for the car. Leave the RV at the CG. Drive up to the top. Let the kids play on big boulders at 14K'+ above sea level. On a clear day it is quite a view.

10. Royal Gorge + Bridge - West of Pueblo Walk over the bridge. It is quite a way down.

In the East consider:
11. Asheville, NC is very expensive. Instead consider the Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge, Sevierville, Tennessee area. There is quite a bit of entertainment, many CGs and the Great Smoky Mountain NP (GSMNP) is a few miles away. If you go to GSMNP, Clingmans Dome is a must stop.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 08:16 AM   #3

@ GaryKD, wow, that's exactly the info I'm looking for! Thank you very much!
Old 03-01-2012, 04:04 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Also in Colorado check out the FamCamp at the Air Force Academy. It's not a bad location and central to a lot of places.
High Plains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 04:48 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by timbuktu78 View Post
I'm interested in y'alls thoughts on specific RV parks or tourist sites you have been to that you loved or places you wish you would have gone.

From UT we are tentatively planning on hitting the following:

D.C.,

In the DC area, this is a beautiful campground on MCB Quantico, VA:

Quantico Marine Corps Community Services | Serving Those Who Serve

Lots to see and do within reasonable driving distance. Some of the campsites are NOT big rig friendly (mostly due to unlevel terrain). The big rig friendly spots get reserved early, so, plan ahead.

Take care,
Stu
Old 03-01-2012, 05:16 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Take a look here, for various military CGs across the US.

Gene
Cdr Usn ret
mccsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 05:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccsix View Post
Take a look here, for various military CGs across the US.

Gene
Cdr Usn ret
Gene,

Thank you, but if you look at my original post, that is a website I mentioned I currently use. Btw, thank you for your service! What did you do in the Navy? I am a SWO just finishing up my shore duty and headed to DH school next.
Old 03-02-2012, 03:46 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Oops didn't read the fine print. Retired as an aircraft maintenance officer, way back before they started passing out the fancy engineering job descriptions/designators.
mccsix is offline   Reply With Quote