Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2010, 07:28 PM   #1

Cell Service In Yellowstone ????

Headed to Yellowstone in September via the east entrance for 10 days, then south to the Grand Tetons and Jackson Hole. What's the status of cell phone signals in the area ?? Any TV signals without a dish ?? Any of the Yellowstone visitor centers have wifi ??
2002 Jayco Eagle 300FSS Travel Trailer, 2005 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab 4X4 w/Duramax, RDS 60 Gallon Toolbx/Tank Combo, Edge EZ, Boost Stick, Bilstein Shocks, Michelin 265 MS2, Isspro Pyrometer and Boost Gauges, ARE Topper, Honda EU3000
Roy W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2010, 08:00 PM   #2

We were in Yellowstone in 2008 and our cell provider at that time was Sprint and reception was very spotty. We never put up the antennae for TV so can't help you there and am not sure about Wi Fi. Enjoy your stay it is a beautiful park with lots of things to see and do.
Old 08-02-2010, 08:09 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy W. View Post
Headed to Yellowstone in September via the east entrance for 10 days, then south to the Grand Tetons and Jackson Hole. What's the status of cell phone signals in the area ?? Any TV signals without a dish ?? Any of the Yellowstone visitor centers have wifi ??
Hi Roy,
We were in all those locations last July and had cell service. We are on Verizon and I used an aircard for Wi-Fi. I don't know if any of the visitor centers had Wi-Fi or not.
However, we camped in one campground that didn't have any facilities and we were not allowed to run the generator either. Needless to say, we pulled in after dark, took a shower, and went to bed. We left early the next morning.

We use (DirecTV) satellite for TV viewing and never used the antenna on the entire trip, so I can't help you there.
Deerhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 10:10 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Verizon will lose a signal in some areas but I'd guess at least 90% coverage around the park. We do mostly day trips or short trips so internet is not an issue. We only use Dish, analog TV was spotty at best, I'm sure digital is worse. September is a great time to visit.
bigskymt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 10:42 PM   #5

We were there this past June celebrating our 10-year return and found open WiFi in West Yellowstone and the new Visitor's Center at Teton Park but nowhere else. The Sprint cell phone service was spotty, and there was never time for TV.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 05:16 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Last year.......
ATT Aircard - nothing!
ATT phones - nothing!
WiFi - none
Air TV - none
We drove to the city of W. Yellowstone or Gardiner (N. entrance) each day.
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 07:07 AM   #7

We stayed in Fishing Bridge this May 2010. ATT phone nothing -but did pick up a signal when leaving out the east entrance just past FB. Verizon was spotty we needed to be up high in the park to get a signal. Verizon air card didn't work for us at FB. We never had time to watch TV-too tired and it wasn't as a priority as charging our batteries when we would get back from touring.
For info: DH has Verizon Droid which worked very well for most of our trip and I have an ATT phone which was a good paperweight since I never had coverage out west except for SLC and Omaha where we stayed for a couple of weeks. We did this intentionally to see which was the better carrier and Verizon won hands down for us.
we3peas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 07:31 PM   #8

I don't know what phone others posting here had (not provider but phone), but I have Verizon with a Samsung Hue which usually works better than any of the other carriers, & about the only place I could find good cell phone coverage in Yellowstone was when you got near a popular spot like Old Faithful. Elsewhere in the park I got little if any coverage. On the positive side, you will be so busy looking at all the wonders there, that you really won't miss the phone much. YMMV
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 09:35 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Gran Teton Park

We often stay at Gros Ventre about 5 miles North of Jackson with fantastic views of the Gran Tetons from some sites. Jackson has terrestrial network TV and in Gros Ventre my iphone worked fine for voice and email. Many of the sites have a view of the southern sky for satellite TV. No power in Gros Ventre but room for large coaches and an unequalled view.

I saw in an earlier post that there is WiFi in the visitor's center. Is that the Moose visitor's center?

In Yellowstone I didn't notice cell coverage except at the border towns and the congested areas like Old Faithful.
marvel is offline   Reply With Quote