Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-19-2009, 04:02 PM   #1

Charlotte, NC

I am planning a few days near Charlotte, NC, and am having no luck finding campgrounds within 15 (or so) miles. Can't believe there is nothing decent in the area. Any help is much appreciated.

2003 Mountain Aire 3778 W-22
djohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2009, 04:14 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
I think there is one in Denver, NC -- not sure of the name?
Old 04-19-2009, 04:39 PM   #3
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by djohn View Post
I am planning a few days near Charlotte, NC, and am having no luck finding campgrounds within 15 (or so) miles. Can't believe there is nothing decent in the area. Any help is much appreciated.

Do any of these look good? http://www.campgroundreviews.com/regions...Charlotte.html

or maybe check this link also.
http://www.allstays.com/Campgrounds/campgrounds.htm

and here's another.
http://continuoustraveler.com/locations Type in a distance of 25-50 miles from Charlotte, NC and (4) park show up.
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 05:55 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
I travel to the Charlotte, NC area quite a bit. If it is not a race week, consider Fleetwood RV Racing Camp Resort 704-455-4445. It is located at the Charlotte Motor Speedway (oops, Lowe's Motor Speedway). On I85, exit 49. About 11 miles North of where I85 & I77 intersect. $25 a night for 50 AMP full hookup. This is a park your rig and find your own entertainment. The CG is there for races. There is no recreation.

There is Carowinds 704-587-9116. It is next to the amusement park. It is at the border of NC & SC. It is a higher price than Fleetwood.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 06:21 PM   #5

Check out Mcdowell Nature Preserve in south Charlotte. Run by Parks and Rec,it's an out of the way,affordable place. First place we went when we first got our pop-up 4 years ago. Like the man said,I hope you aren't trying to get in Memorial day/race weekend.
Old 04-20-2009, 07:42 AM   #6
paz

We had trouble finding a campground close to Charlotte, too. As mentioned, if it's not a race weekend, Fleetwood is a good choice. The next big NASCAR race weekend will be May 22-24, but there could be minor races at other times. Lowe's motor Speedway also has a dirt track and a drag strip. Even if the campground isn't crowded, it will be noisy.

There is a campground in Salisbury (about 40 miles up I-85) called Golden Pond. We drove through - it looked nice, but we didn't stay there.

We stayed at Camp Wilderness, which is operated by Carowinds theme park, about 25 miles south of the city off I-77. It was off season and the park was only open on weekends, so it was quiet when we were there during the week. I think the park is open for the season now, so it could be a little zooy, especially on a weekend. On the other hand, if you like amusement parks, it could be a good choice.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 04:06 PM   #7

We have stayed at the Carowinds park several times both in and out of season. Has always been acceptable.
Brad10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 07:17 PM   #8
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad10 View Post
We have stayed at the Carowinds park several times both in and out of season. Has always been acceptable.
Thanks for the follow-up on Carowinds. We imagined it would be pretty crowded (and possibly noisy) in season, but it's good to hear it's not bad. We like the Charlotte area, so it is good to know we can stay there any time.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 09:29 AM   #9

I believe you will also find one or two campgrounds north of Charlotte in Statesville. I've never stayed there so cannot give any details or recommendations. We will be traveling to the area in June with our grandson to visit my daughter. I plan to park in her driveway (against the rules) and hope to get in one night before we are told to move. Sadly, there is very little in the immediate Charlotte area.
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 01:44 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
There is a KOA just south of Charlotte. Gold Hill Rd exit I think. AlsoMcDowell is nice.
Corvette Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 02:46 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
The one at Lowes Motor Speedway is close to down town (10 to 15 min.). tThe one in Statesville on 77 is a KOA and about(35 to 40 min out),but close to Mooresville witch has a lot of atractions.