Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-22-2017, 08:57 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Choosing where to go: Decision Paralysis

My wife and I have decided to go full time. We're already in the Class A and have a toad. The house will be sold soon. I work in IT and can work remotely. No kids other than pets.

Several times now my wife and I have sat down to start picking the first places to go. Always before there were factors that narrowed our choices - only X amount of vacation, or needed to visit so-and-so, or headed to a civic conference, or whatever.

Now we have no limits and the options are proving too numerous to whittle down. It's not that we disagree; to the contrary, we agree on almost everything. It's just that we have too many options. Yeah, I know, first world problem, but still...

Any suggestions? So far we've come up with a trip randomizer with slips of paper in a jar, and thematic trips, such as a circuit with all of the Civil War battlefields.
Brad Felmey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2017, 09:12 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Brad

Deciding where to go has it's challenges. So many places and you may eventually visit them all, but for now where do you start? Picking a subject like the civil war and it's battlefields is a great idea. You can also decide on an area of the country you want to see. The northwest, southwest, or maybe it's all the national parks.
Most state department of tourism will have literature that is free that tells what their state offers for RVers. Start collecting and reviewing hem. More ideas will arise.

Good luck and Happy Trails!!
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 10:30 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We decided years ago to visit every Presidential Museum. In the process we've hit all the lower 48 states in an RV. Only one we haven's seen is George W's. Toad broke down and a few other problems cropped up so next year on that one.

Ran into a couple who spent one summer seeing a ball game in every major league stadium.

So pick something you like that is all over the country and go for it. How about Hard Rock Cafes. etc.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 03:00 AM   #4

You may want to pick destinations by season. That way you always stay in good weather as you see the sights.

I enjoy old car museums and try to get one of those in on every trip. Makes routing fun. We are not fulltimers, but snowbird in Florida and travel west in summer fall to see kids, grandkids, family and friends.

Hope you enjoy your travels and the anxiety of where to next diminishes quickly for you.
Old 02-23-2017, 05:05 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Bill; Just a word to the wise from info I've gleaned from this forum, Don't take off full time like you're going on vacation, and that almost sounds like what you described as your issue deciding where to go. You have the rest of your life to travel so TAKE IT SLOW AND EASY. Spend 2-3 weeks per location of more if you like it, drive 300 miles a day, and just GO SLOW.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 06:36 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Felmey View Post
My wife and I have decided to go full time. We're already in the Class A and have a toad. The house will be sold soon. I work in IT and can work remotely. No kids other than pets.

Several times now my wife and I have sat down to start picking the first places to go. Always before there were factors that narrowed our choices - only X amount of vacation, or needed to visit so-and-so, or headed to a civic conference, or whatever.

Now we have no limits and the options are proving too numerous to whittle down. It's not that we disagree; to the contrary, we agree on almost everything. It's just that we have too many options. Yeah, I know, first world problem, but still...

Any suggestions? So far we've come up with a trip randomizer with slips of paper in a jar, and thematic trips, such as a circuit with all of the Civil War battlefields.
Seeing that you are in Texas - head up into Colorado for the Summer - and Utah for the Spring - use the Weather/Thermometer as your guide - just bump up and stay Comfy - biggest problem may be staying connected as you get into the Mountains and the Desert.

You will find as you move along what you really enjoy and then just push towards that. Water, Lakes Streams, Rivers - Mountains, Hikes, - Cool Nights.......................................

We do not Full Time but have done Months at a time, and have found that the weather is the Best Guide.

Best of Luck and be sure to update us often,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 12:22 PM   #7

We were never into 'themed' trips. We were more likely to pick one or two (sometimes more like when we drove to Alaska) states a season and explore that state thoroughly - every nook and cranny. We towed a Jeep so we explored the many gravel backroads and most often that's where the best scenery can be found.

I'd recommend that you keep your total distance on the short side. Don't try to get from California to Georgia in a season. Do it in gradual chunks like in spring/summer explore from southern California (where you might have spent the winter) and tour perhaps Arizona, Nevada, Utah and spend the summer in Utah. In fall make your way down to Arizona or Texas and spend the winter there. Repeat the next spring.. go north from Texas.

You'll find what's good for you.... just take it slow and disregard that jar method. It would have you jumping around the country needlessly.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 12:49 PM   #8

I'm not a full timer, but I agree with the recommendation to follow the nice weather. Maybe look into camp host in state parks where you stay for free, in exchange for some work duties.
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 05:22 PM   #9

Best way to avoid planning paralysis is to have no planning.

Old 02-23-2017, 06:57 PM   #10

Go to the West coast and watch the sun set on a Pacific beach. Then head East to watch it rise over the Atlantic.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 07:24 PM   #11

Tony Lee: That's what our maps look like!! Thanks for the good memories of our trips.
Old 02-24-2017, 01:25 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
I sincerely thank you all for your input. My natural inclination is to wander aimlessly - my most enjoyable trips have been like that, where I have NO idea at the dawn of a new day where I'll be at the dawn of tomorrow. The smaller the road the better - we have a Jeep toad for just this reason.

My conundrum is that it seems SOME thought has to go into where we will be so a place is available to reserve. For instance, I don't want to end up somewhere geographically isolated only to find out that there aren't any facilities (or capacity) for us to stay. Even boondocking you have to have a spot where you won't get shooed away (or arrested) for trespass.

My response to the input about not doing the random scraps of paper is that aimlessly criss-crossing the country is exactly what the randomizer is supposed to engender. We would go in a general direction, usually picking small side roads (Interstates are the devil's work), small towns, and interesting spots along the way. I firmly believe that some of the most enjoyable things we're going to find are going to be in areas that are not a destination in and of themselves, but rather places/things found along the way.
Brad Felmey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 02:33 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Felmey View Post
My conundrum is that it seems SOME thought has to go into where we will be so a place is available to reserve. For instance, I don't want to end up somewhere geographically isolated only to find out that there aren't any facilities (or capacity) for us to stay. Even boondocking you have to have a spot where you won't get shooed away (or arrested) for trespass.
One way to rest easy is to learn how not to get uptight without making reservations - at least, not all the time. If you have to be someplace specifically on a certain date or want a certain campground near a popular attraction then, by all means, make that reservation. However, for general travel you don't need them. Honestly, since we didn't travel interstates, we never had difficulty getting a spot without reservations. Even in small towns you can sometimes find a city campground or county campground, especially in the western states. North Dakota, for one, has very nice city parks. You do have to have an array of search resources and you'll soon find what works for you. If you're in the west many states have public places to camp and sometimes even have fishing access sites that you can camp for free or nominal charge.

We've stayed in popular national parks such as Yellowstone, Bryce, etc. without reservations. We'd stay nearby the previous night then pull in first thing in the morning and easily secured a site for our 40' motorhome. These parks have campground that don't even accept reservations. Also, sometimes we've gone to a reservable campground early morning and there are usually cancellations to be had.

Boondocking for us was on national forest or BLM lands or other public lands. Using those spots assures you that you're not trespassing.
Old 02-24-2017, 02:38 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomandGloria View Post
You may want to pick destinations by season. That way you always stay in good weather as you see the sights.
X 2. If I were a full timer I would want to eventually settle into a long winter spot and a long summer spot, taking additional trips as side trips or along the various routes in between. If you have the money I would even buy a spot at one of the ends. That way you have a storage shed for "stuff" and neighbors you know; in other words a feeling of home while still full timing.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alaska, alaska trip