Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-05-2019, 10:26 PM   #1

Christmas Destinations

Hi All,

So we are thinking about changing things up this year and traveling for Christmas. We would like to visit a town or city that has a great holiday vibe, tradition, etc. We are coming from Southern California and I am little concerned about weather and especially snow. We were thinking about Colorado (Durango, Grand Junction) as that is a spot we potentially may possibly move to in the future but I have never driven those passes. With it being a holiday trip probably need to keep it to the western US otherwise I would love to get back to the South.

We just love traveling in our RV and love visiting new places...we are open to any suggestions on spots that anyone has visited over the holidays and enjoyed.

Thanks in advance!
Ducksquasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2019, 11:18 PM   #2

That time of the year I would stay in Southern California or Arizona. Trying to get to colorado could mean dealing with snow and chains. Not to mention sub freezing temperatures.
Old 11-06-2019, 04:05 AM   #3

Well if you are really wanting to travel, come visit Branson MO for Christmas. Not only are all of the RV parks open all of the shows are doing their Christmas shows which are great. The Silver Dollar City park is all light up for Christmas check out their web site.

Its worth the drive.
be-happy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 07:07 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
We are in New Orleans for Xmas.
Blog: bailey18.com
AllanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 07:45 AM   #5

We've spent the last 10 years in Key West for xmas. It would be a bit of a drive for you !
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 10:19 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by be-happy View Post
Well if you are really wanting to travel, come visit Branson MO for Christmas. Not only are all of the RV parks open all of the shows are doing their Christmas shows which are great. The Silver Dollar City park is all light up for Christmas check out their web site.

Its worth the drive.
I would second that and the temperatures get cold but not sub zero and rarely have snow or ice and if we do it is gone quickly
Milford 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 10:42 AM   #7

C'mon up where I live. The Christmas lights are beautiful with the snow and ice in the background. The roads are plowed, sanded and salted so you shouldn't slip off them but your RV's underside will rust away in a short time. What better excuse to buy the new RV you always wanted? They use plows up here towing another slave plow on interstates so they only travel at a max. speed of 35 MPH. You can't pass so allow extra time to get somewhere.
Most of the large parking lots will be plowed out so there will be plenty of room for your RV. Don't park too close to the banks though. The snow might drift against your RV and you'll be stuck there until you get a tow. Keep your speed down when driving too. Snowmobiles are crossing the roads constantly.
Bring lots of insulation etc. along with heated water hoses and extra bulbs to keep your compartments warm. Below freezing temperatures, some well below zero, are the norm up here.
If you need directions send me a PM.
Merry Christmas, See you soon,
Lynn
Old 11-06-2019, 11:09 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
C'mon up where I live. The Christmas lights are beautiful with the snow and ice in the background. The roads are plowed, sanded and salted so you shouldn't slip off them but your RV's underside will rust away in a short time. What better excuse to buy the new RV you always wanted? They use plows up here towing another slave plow on interstates so they only travel at a max. speed of 35 MPH. You can't pass so allow extra time to get somewhere.
Most of the large parking lots will be plowed out so there will be plenty of room for your RV. Don't park too close to the banks though. The snow might drift against your RV and you'll be stuck there until you get a tow. Keep your speed down when driving too. Snowmobiles are crossing the roads constantly.
Bring lots of insulation etc. along with heated water hoses and extra bulbs to keep your compartments warm. Below freezing temperatures, some well below zero, are the norm up here.
If you need directions send me a PM.
Merry Christmas, See you soon,
Lynn
Those kind of plows are killers. They tried them on our highways, and had to ban them. They don't plow properly as they don't have enough weight to scrap the road. After two winters, and hundreds of accidents, they pulled them off the main highways. If I were the OP, I wouldn't be heading anywhere with snow with an rv. Park the rv, and fly in for a week somewhere. Rvs and snow just don't get along well.