Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-18-2022, 02:12 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Class A w/Toad access to Cloudland Canyon SP, GA

We have interest in going to Cloudland Canyon SP in Rising Fawn, GA this summer. I'm 36' plus toad. I've read that access for Class A's is "hairy" because of switchbacks. We've done our fair share of mountain/canyon campgrounds, last of which was Palo Duro Canyon. Any reason to be more concerned about access to Cloudland Canyon? Or is that description overblown? Thanks in advance.
Mike8253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2022, 10:36 PM   #2

Go up the east side from Lafayette, its just grade and not too bad curves wise. Going up the west side from Trenton has a couple of sharp switch backs and steeper grade.

I've done the east side in my Winnebago View and also with my pickup and trailer. I did the west side in the truck when I ran to the grocery in Trenton and was thinking it was not something I would want to do with the trailer.

Its not horrible, but I'm just saying, I won't do the west side with the trailer, even as small as it is.

Charles
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cherokee falls at cloudland canyon SP.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	404.9 KB
ID:	354208   Click image for larger version

Name:	site at cloudland canyon sp ga.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	535.7 KB
ID:	354209  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Cloudland Canyon from east rim trail.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	900.6 KB
ID:	354210  
Old 01-19-2022, 05:37 AM   #3

I live about 20 miles from Cloudland on Sand Mountain which is across the valley from Lookout Mountain/Cloudland Canyon. I donít think you will have any trouble with curves or switchbacks. We have a very sharp switchback coming up Sand Mountain that Iíve never had a problem making with mine pulling a Toad.

The incline is fairly steep however which might be as large a concern. If you feel uncomfortable, you could consider camping at DeSoto State Park and driving your Toad the 20 miles or so to Cloudland. There is also a KOA within 20 miles.
Old 01-19-2022, 10:50 PM   #4

If you are real curious go to Google maps street view and "drive" up the road to the park.

Heading up 136 from the west (Trenton) side.

You are behind a white car and after the first switch back, you have a log truck pass you coming down.

Going up from the east on 136 starting at the Dollar General at the intersection with 193

Its a couple of broad curves and then a grade up the side of the mountain and then it flattens out. Its the south end of Lookout Mtn and it basically a plateau. After you get on the top, you cross the intersection with 157 and it flattens out and then you pass another Dollar General at the 189 intersection and its just gentle up, down, up, down, poof passed it! The park entrance is easy to miss. You can also "drive" all of the park roads on Google Maps street view, and all of the walking/hiking trails are also on there. Someone hiked all of them using a 360 view camera. I am seeing lots of that now.

Park entrance

Charles
Old 01-20-2022, 12:37 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks all. We'll be heading in from the Huntsville area, so we'll be entering Cloudland Canyon SP from the West. Looking at Google Map, the climb doesn't seem too daunting. Looking forward to the visit.
Old 01-22-2022, 11:53 AM   #6

While there be sure you drive to Desoto Falls. It is another falls on Lookout Mountain well worth seeing and requires just a 30 minute drive and 100 foot walk to see.
Old 01-22-2022, 03:28 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvinG View Post
While there be sure you drive to Desoto Falls. It is another falls on Lookout Mountain well worth seeing and requires just a 30 minute drive and 100 foot walk to see.
Thanks

Sent from my moto z3 using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Old 01-22-2022, 10:36 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
If the state parks there are a little tricky to get to you may want to check this campground out, R Haven Overnite Family Park in Rising Fawn, GA (just below Chattanooga off I59). We stayed there coming and going on a trip last year and thought it was a very nice park and not difficult to get to. There are two exits off I59 to get to it and going north, the first exit is the one you want (I don't remember the number or name, but call and ask the campground owner).
Not sure if this park is convenient for you, but may be an option.
Thanks,
wog099 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
access, class a, toad