Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-26-2020, 04:54 PM   #1

Coastal Maine RV Parks

Would appreciate some recommendations for nice parks on COASTAL Maine. We are not campfire burning, entertaining kids people. The parks we like have scenery, a nice little town close by and other interesting things to do. Lobster Rolls are our favorite way to eat it. The month of August is when we will be there, working our way down from Eastport, ME to the western border with New Hampshire.

The parks can be very close together. We don't mind moving for a new experience.
RonLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2020, 05:12 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Most of New England has a 2 week quarantine requirement for people from hot spot states. You may want to check Maine's government pages to see what their current policies are.
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 05:16 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
How did you get to Eastport as a starting point? It's clear across the state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonLC View Post
it. The month of August is when we will be there, working our way down from Eastport, ME to the western border with New Hampshire.

The parks can be very close together. We don't mind moving for a new experience.
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 06:25 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwood27 View Post
Most of New England has a 2 week quarantine requirement for people from hot spot states. You may want to check Maine's government pages to see what their current policies are.
We are familiar with Maine's requirements and will comply with them to letter (including 72 hour test), but that is not what I asked about.
Old 07-26-2020, 06:27 PM   #5

Quote:
How did you get to Eastport as a starting point? It's clear across the state.
We will comply with Maine's entry requirements on Wednesday and will take two days to get to Eastport.

I asked about RV parks, not about Maine's requirements. Please!
Old 07-26-2020, 06:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonLC View Post
Would appreciate some recommendations for nice parks on COASTAL Maine. We are not campfire burning, entertaining kids people. The parks we like have scenery, a nice little town close by and other interesting things to do. Lobster Rolls are our favorite way to eat it. The month of August is when we will be there, working our way down from Eastport, ME to the western border with New Hampshire.

The Rockland/Camden area is very scenic with lots of shops & restaurants , about 1 HR west of Acadia. If you do stop don't forget to visit Owls Head & Rockland Breakwater Lighthouse. You can drive up to MT Megunticook or do a hike, spectacular views!!

Camden Hills State Park

Mike
Old 07-26-2020, 07:27 PM   #7

While you're in Eastport, I highly recommend a trip over to Lubec. Lubec is a beautiful old fishing village with neat shops and great restaurants. Quoddy Head State Park is just down the road and has the distinction of being the farthest eastern point of the U.S. Also, my daughter(a Disney nerd) tells me that it was the inspiration for the setting of the Disney movie, Pete's Dragon.

Border restrictions probably won't allow it now, but a drive over the bridge to Campobello Island and the Roosevelt compound(now a national park) is also a great side trip.

We love the area - we were there about 3 years ago and I'm ready to head back.

Enjoy!
Papa Foxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 06:09 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Sandy Shores RV Resort - Home Sandy Shores has privately*owned sites, but a lot of the owners rent their lots out. Large sites and very quiet, mostly seniors. Close to Rockland and Camden, and about two hours from Acadia....Bruce
Old 07-27-2020, 06:52 AM   #9

We are in Narrows Too, which is in Trenton and 7 miles from Acadia and about 10 miles from Bar Harbor. 3 Lobster pounds within a 100 yards or so. Some sites are waterfront.
Over in Sullivan there was a park that caught my eye a few years ago, but it was in need of upkeep. We drove by there yesterday and they really cleaned it up. It's waterfront with nice views. A lobster place is close by. https://www.acadiaseashorecamping.com/
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 09:45 AM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RV Parks for Coastal Maine: Answers!

You'll need to research these areas for RV parks:

We've been here:

Ogunquit, Maine is an awesome place. https://www.ogunquit.org/
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Tourism-...Vacations.html

My friend recommended:

https://thesparhawk.com/ The Sparhawk Oceanfront Resort Address: 85 Shore Rd, Ogunquit, ME 03907
Phone: (207) 646-5562
Old 07-29-2020, 03:44 AM   #11

Narrows Too in Trenton, ME is nice. Prices are high
Megunticook in Camden is very nice
Shore Hills in Boothbay is nice.
Red Apple in Kennebunkport is nice.
KOA in Saco is very nice too.
I used them all and had a great time at everyone.

The only negative is Narrows Too is owned by Encore, they cranked up the prices big time.
When they did everyone else in Bar Harbor area did too over the last 3-4 yrs.
I wish they never sold to them back in 2008 or 9.

All the other ones are private with great owners. Red Apple owners are top notch. They don’t do credit cards but that’s ok. Dave is a good guy, he will bend over backwards to make you happy there.
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 07:00 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cyber71 View Post
Narrows Too in Trenton, ME is nice. Prices are high
Megunticook in Camden is very nice
Shore Hills in Boothbay is nice.
Red Apple in Kennebunkport is nice.
KOA in Saco is very nice too.
I used them all and had a great time at everyone.

The only negative is Narrows Too is owned by Encore, they cranked up the prices big time.
When they did everyone else in Bar Harbor area did too over the last 3-4 yrs.
I wish they never sold to them back in 2008 or 9.

All the other ones are private with great owners. Red Apple owners are top notch. They don’t do credit cards but that’s ok. Dave is a good guy, he will bend over backwards to make you happy there.
Shore Hills is cash or check only too. We stay there every year
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 07:52 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
We have stayed at Sunset Point in Lubec, Narrows Two in Trenton, Shore Hills in Boothbay, Wild Duck in Scarborough, and KOA in Saco. All were good, each has different things.

Sunset Point is not much more than a place to park, but it is on the bay of fundy, so the tides are special. Most of the sites are right on the water. Very close to Campobello and Quoddy Lighthouse (easternmost point in the USA). Very tiny park, with only 15-20 sites. No pool or other stuff for kids, but we liked being here. The camp host was very hospitable.

Narrows Two is just across the bridge from Mt Desert Island, close to several lobster pounds and some of the sites are right on the bay, very picturesque. We parked with the windshield in (instead of backing in) - our site was on the water. But crowded and dusty (when dry, muddy when wet). Really liked being so close to everything on Mt Desert and walking distance to two lobster pounds.

Shore Hills is a nice relaxing place, but not really on the shore. A few of the sites are on a bay, but these are for smaller rigs only. But 5 minutes driving from Boothbay Harbor and all that it has to offer. Best thing we did was the cruise to cabbage island for the lobster feast. Would stay here again in a heartbeat.

Wild Duck is in the middle of a swamp and it is very wooded. It is very small - maybe 20-25 sites. Hard to maneuver in and out. Watch closely or you will get scraped. Close enough to Portland, very close to beaches and plenty of spots to eat. I don't think we will go back there due to the squeezed in nature of it.

Saco KOA is a fairly new campground, so nothing is broken or worn out yet. Lots of stuff for kids to do. Easy driving to Portland, Kennebunkport, OOB, etc. Easy in and out. Great place.

Hope this helps.

Regards.

Chuck
Old 07-29-2020, 09:50 AM   #14

Quote:
We are entering Maine tomorrow after having met their requirement for a 72 hour negative test.

Tags
rv park