Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2011, 03:32 PM   #1

Coastie Transferring Cross Country

I just received orders to move cross country from Washington State to Norfolk, VA. I am looking for recommendations for long term campgrounds/rv parks until my loving wife can make up her mind on what kind of housing she likes. We're traveling in a 34' Safari class A, any suggestions on where to look would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Bill
wby340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2011, 08:26 PM   #2

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Welcome to the right coast coastie from a former coastie!

Try Holiday Travel Park in Va Beach. They have "Super sites" that are super but a little pricey. They also own their own parking lot for free parking at the beach.

Only negative is the Navy Fly-Boys start in around sun up burning government fuel. The air traffic is a little noisey at first but you do get use to it.

On another note try fredsplace.org to chat with other former/curret coasties
Tiffin Allegro Bus, 425 Cummins Freightliner XCR, Camp Freightliner, Acadia Denali, tow-N-4 Down, Blue-OX tow bar, TST Monitors, Seelevel II Monitors, Samsung Res Fridge, Progressive 50A-EMS, No Kids-No Pets, Full Time.
bdaball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 09:06 PM   #3
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Go to the Military Campgrounds web site. There are a lot of Military CG's in the area. Yorktown Coast Guard Station has a CG. Make reservations ahead of time where ever you decide on and as active duty I think you have precedence on any list.

Happy trails.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 10:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdaball
Welcome to the right coast coastie from a former coastie!

Try Holiday Travel Park in Va Beach. They have "Super sites" that are super but a little pricey
Right as in east coast, because as a PACAREA sailor, I always felt that LANTAREA was the wrong coast to be on. This will be my first staff tour after nearly 9 years of operations afloat. May God have mercy on my soul as I attempt to qualify in office warfare!

Thanks for the info. I called Holiday Travel Park about their super site, and damn near choked on my coffee. Have you heard anything about Davis Lakes in Suffolk?
Old 06-25-2011, 04:08 AM   #5

As another former coastie, I spent quite a bit of time in Tidewater area, at Yorktown and on the Ingham, but the areas I used to camp have been sub divisions for years.

Just wanted to say welcome to the East Coast and good luck with your new assignment.
Dan DeBruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 11:04 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M
There are a lot of Military CG's in the area. Yorktown Coast Guard Station has a CG. Make reservations ahead of time where ever you decide on and as active duty I think you have precedence on any list.

Happy trails.
Thanks for the info, but I learned today that the Yorktown CG was severely damaged by a storm a few years ago and never reopened.
Old 06-26-2011, 06:50 PM   #7
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
WBY340,
Thanks.
I hope someone close by can verify that and if true, notify the Military Campground web site so it can be updated.

Depending on what you can get, check to see if the Thousand Trails in Chesapeake is open camping. We are staying at one in Michigan right now that is not only open, but a PassportAmerica CG. They usually have a 14 day limit with 7 days out, but it may be worth the trouble.

Happy trails.

Good luck.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote