Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2021, 03:54 PM   #15

We stayed for a week in Williams at the Grand Canyon Railway RV Park. Full hookups, paved sites, all their hotel amenities included, very nice for about $25 per night, Passport America. Really enjoyed Williams, took about an hour to get to GC entrance. We couldn't find anything in or closer to the park, all full, due to our late decision to make that trip.
StephenW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2021, 05:12 PM   #16

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenW View Post
O

Any suggestions for the best travel route for a 35' gasser with toad (53' total) between West Yellowstone and Cody? (not sure if allowed to go thru the park)
Yes, you go right through the park. From the west entrance, you'll go to Madison junction, make a left (north), take that to Norris, make a right, take that to Canyon, make a right, and then to Fishing Bridge where you'll make a left for the long ride over Sylvan Pass and down to Cody.

I would fill up on fuel and dump tanks in West Yellowstone.

Since you're towing, the spots to sight see will be limited as many parking lots are very tight. There are some picnic areas where you can pull over even with a toad.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 09:01 PM   #17

Another vote for Cody to spend at least 3 nights minimum. You could take that long just on the Buffalo Bill Museum. We loved the lakes surrounding, dinner show, rodeo and kitschy old town setting of bygone years. If CG's full, as a FYI: WM and Dinner Show have allowed O/Ns to us in the past. Way too far to commute into Yellowstone daily and be able to access main areas of YNP within a reasonable period of time = you'll be shattered, and not enjoy as much as being closer to.

If you can't get into YNP CG's themselves (check often for cancellations!), the NFS outside is worth dry camping at (our preference), as you've mentioned you can handle a week on tanks. Maybe locate just outside the various entrances for 2 or 3 nights here and there to make commuting even easier each day so you can spend more time in each location. The Upper and Lower terraces at Mammoth for example shouldn't be missed if you have the time, but they are 90 mins from Old Faithful.

You didn't mention the Grand Tetons, which for sure would be worth a visit if you have time being so close. Again there are options for dry camping outside Jackson as well if the CG's are full in that town/NP.

You'll have an awesome trip, just give yourselves plenty of time to "smell the roses" during your visit.
SomeDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 06:40 AM   #18

Quote:
We're thinking of an early September arrival to Yellowstone area to avoid the worst of the summer crowds.

First, a Great time to Arrive! - and as time is not the Enemy this could work out well, for you. Cody is good for 5-7 days, has many drives and will Enjoy you taking the time to do the many drives.

Thermopolis and the Wind River Canyon along with Shoshoni, will fill a good day, you may arrive from that direction and stay along the River in the Canyon, if you are into that, nice CG on the River South. Then the hot Springs in Thermopolis, could be fun. Interesting Factoid - the River runs North as you drive out of the Canyon, almost feeling like it Runs Up Hill! - - Love that part! - in my many drives this rakes in my top 5-10 in the country.

BUT - Chief Joseph HWY - is also going to request your time, along with the Bear Tooth HWY, I would try to set aside a couple days just for these drives - Dress Well as the pull outs can be Cooler and Windy ( Weather ), pack a good Lunch! Bring your Camera, Hundreds of images will still leave you short.

Now while in Cody, Buffalo Bill State Park - and museum are often favorites for many, and the town has it's own charm in September.

I know NP sites are out due to availability and/or our 53' total length. We also want to do the Cody area and I was wonde11ring if using Cody area as a base camp and using the toad for day trips to Yellowstone is feasible or a PITA.

With you having the TIME - you may even find a cancellation so keep that in mind for the possibilities - as there are many moving parts in September.

For me personally I love the Drive time - so this would just be Great as this is still a drive in YNP - Hard to Beat - IMHO - Weather is Key to this - Layers and every type of Weather, can be experienced this time of Year - often on the Same day!

We stayed in Williams for a week to do the South Rim and surrounding NPs, Sedona, Jerome and Prescott with the toad and that worked great.

Thinking you are much more of a Driver than a Hiker - Keep the tank Full and bring many Snacks - Check the Park for road construction ad the Grand Canyon and the Lake are as far as you might try for a day trip from Cody.

DW walks with a cane due to shattering her femur and a mile hike is about her limit for the day, so we are kind of limited to seeing the highlights during multiple day trips into Yellowstone.

Got it - the drives are all Awesome so you should be Happy!

We are not limited on time. I might head Jackson area before or after Cody to see the Grand Tetons, etc.

I'd look at entering the Tetons from RT 26 - DuBois, is a great way to enjoy the first view of the Tetons from the East as you Crest the Divide!

Many Sites available there and to just sit with a cool Beverage to stare at the Tetons - Almost unlimited view Points - IMHO each can be allowed a day or two + - Cant' be beat - Ever!

Open to any ideas,

Hope I was able to contribute a bit - Time is the Key - Take advantage of it, Routes you Take can be Impressive - The number of Drives is almost never ending - Wal*Mart is in Cody so - Resupply there - Last summer we enjoyed a Lot off Time in Idaho - It to is worth some time - - Island Park and Victor were Both Places we will revisit - Don't Do RT 22 in the RV - it's Real - 10 % for miles up and Down - Flaming Gorge and Dino will deserve your time as you head south - to the Aspen Turning Gold in Colorado - this will end in Mid October - Just Writing this makes it come alive to me - might try this again later this Year or next - One Great Slice of America - Best of Luck!

Thanks!
Take Images and report Back
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1291 (1).jpg
Views:	24
Size:	192.8 KB
ID:	322767   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7740.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	243.0 KB
ID:	322768  

Name:	IMG_9093.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	249.3 KB
ID:	322769   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3339.jpeg
Views:	26
Size:	136.0 KB
ID:	322770  

Name:	IMG_0527.jpg
Size:	480.6 KB
ID:	322773   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0158.jpg
Size:	582.3 KB
ID:	322774  

Name:	IMG_0176 (1).jpg
Views:	25
Size:	727.7 KB
ID:	322775   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8723.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	161.7 KB
ID:	322776  

Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 08:09 AM   #19

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I will join the camp that Cody is too far from Yellowstone to make it a base camp. Not mentioned by anyone is using Gardiner, MT as a base camp. It is at the North Gate of the park. There are several RV parks in Gardiner. Gardiner isn't as interesting town as Cody.

We normally stay at the Mammoth Campground in Yellowstone 6 miles from Gardiner. My 34' motorhome + my toad makes my total length near yours. They have plenty of sites that can accommodate our length. However, it is dry camping. If you prefer full hookups your best bet is outside the park.

I would definitely plan a 1 or 2 day stay in Cody. It is an interesting town and the Bill Cody Museum is excellent.

I have been to Yellowstone many times. I find the the natural attractions such as geysers, geyser basins, etc are more in the south end of the park. The open spaces where you are most likely to see wildlife is in the northern part of the park. I have seen Old Faithful a bunch of times...it is great...it is the same every time...well almost the same. However I enjoy the wildlife more therefore I stay at Mammoth.

If you've never been to Yellowstone before, West Yellowstone RV parks are a better choice than staying in Cody.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1015629adj&cropped.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	248.2 KB
ID:	322785  
Old 03-27-2021, 01:21 PM   #20

Than you do much for all the advice. We are still working on a plan and hope to have the details settled by mid- April, after we get back from the Florida Keys.
StephenW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 09:48 AM   #21

Quote:
Than you do much for all the advice. We are still working on a plan and hope to have the details settled by mid- April, after we get back from the Florida Keys.

Cody is a great base camp, you'll enjoy. I would strongly suggest you plan an RON in the park to see it all.
I was there last year and that's what we did. No hassle touring for two days. Good luck.
Cheers
retnasaguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yellowstone