Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-07-2016, 04:27 PM   #15

Yes, see the museum

To be honest, we're not usually 'museum people'. But we went based on glowing reviews from others, and we loved it so much that we went back a 2nd day. Whether you're 'in' to the West or not, it's worth seeing. Like others have said, it's like 4 or 5 museums in one. They have a fantastic art collection worth seeing, and don't miss the raptor presentation. Ask when you get there to find out what time they present that.....it's outside. You said you've driven the Beartooth, but if you haven't spent time in Red Lodge, that's worth the time also. The rodeo is worth seeing also, but it's a huge arena so try to sit down close if you can.
fiddleddd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2016, 05:05 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Thor Owners Club
we spent three summers near Cody (we hosted the Buffalo Bill State Park) the museum is a must,,,you get a two day pass to see everything it has to offer!!
The rodeo is held every night from June 1 to August 31...every night is an event!!!
The surrounding area is unbelievable!! If you have a toad try to get to the Ghost Towns near Meeteesee!!! and the Petroglyphs near Thermopolis!!! And on 14 East (senic route to Buffalo), Devils Kitchen!!!
Old 07-07-2016, 07:46 PM   #17

I went to Cody to get my refrigerator fixed and spent a week. Fell in love with the place. Check with the Museum to see if they have a Plains Indian Pow Wow scheduled. It was beautiful. I stayed at the Ponderosa Campground next to the museum and walked almost everywhere. If your interested in guns the museum is a must see but if not they still have some of the best examples of western art and dioramas of the old west. If your interested in jewelry check out what the museum has to know how to spot the good stuff. The Erma hotel has got good food but the wild west show out front is cheesy. Some of the stores displaying western wear have tourist prices so be careful. The drive from Cody to Yellowstone is beautiful.
D in Davie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 07:50 PM   #18

Entegra Owners Club
We are re-evaluating and thinking we may go to Cody as well after West Yellowstone. Is the road between West Yellowstone and Cody ok for a 45 ft motorhome pulling a Dodge Ram pickup? And next question, would you stay at Ponderosa or Absaroka Bay? Thanks, Lynn
2021 Grand Cherokee Summit
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 07:57 PM   #19

I agree with what others said about the museum. It is worth the stop. Downtown, across from the Irma Hotel, is the Dan Miller Cowboy Review. My wife and I enjoyed htis musical show so much went went back the next night.

https://youtu.be/sP0khqfq7zA
andy29847 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 08:15 AM   #20

The road from West Yellowstone to Cody for your setup should be OK. Just take it easy. No speed records. Take the road straight across the park to East Yellowstone then on to Cody.
Old 07-08-2016, 08:22 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
We're planning our 4th trip out West. We've been to Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, Mt Rushmore, GC, RMNP, Monument Valley, driven the Beartooth Highway. We never visited Cody. If we decide to do that on this trip (we're headed to Glacier NP then on to OR and northern CA), we'd have to detour a bit to drive over to Cody from Buffalo.

So, my question is whether the Buffalo Bill Museum is really that great? Other than the obvious wonderful scenery on the drive through those mountains, what else would we miss if we don't go there?
Went there a few years back. I am no a museum person, but my wife is. That said, I totally enjoyed our time there. Thought the museum was really worth while. Stayed at park right in town that was very nice. Lots of great drives up in the high country to the north.

We are planning on doing it again at some point.
Captjake1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 02:14 PM   #22

We went to Cody last fall and I've listed our blog posts about it below. We are not big museum people so we would not drive to Cody just for it, but you'll love it if you like old west museusms - it is first class. We really liked the area and would go back for the other things - loved the Dan Miller show.

Big Dude's Eclectic Ramblings: 2015 Western Trip – Days 8 & 9 - Onward To Cody
Big Dude's Eclectic Ramblings: 2015 Western Trip – Days 10 – Yellowstone & Wildlife
Big Dude's Eclectic Ramblings: 2015 Western Trip – Day 11 – Cody Tour & Rodeo
Big Dude's Eclectic Ramblings: 2015 Western Trip – Day 12 – Dinner And A Very Good Show
Big Dude's Eclectic Ramblings: 2015 Western Trip – Day 13 – Breakfast & The Museum
Big Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 02:33 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieMH View Post
We are re-evaluating and thinking we may go to Cody as well after West Yellowstone. Is the road between West Yellowstone and Cody ok for a 45 ft motorhome pulling a Dodge Ram pickup? And next question, would you stay at Ponderosa or Absaroka Bay? Thanks, Lynn
The road from West Yellowstone is ok this time of the year. Yes, you can drive your 45 ft motorhome and a toad through the park. It will take a few hours, expect slow traffic at times. There are several good rv parks here...but they are close...I prefer more room myself. You can also stay at one of the State Parks on the road between Yellowstone and Cody...much better in my opinion.

Personally, I prefer visiting elsewhere...maybe because I live here.

If you need detailed info, pm me.
BobMontgomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 08:48 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy29847 View Post
I agree with what others said about the museum. It is worth the stop. Downtown, across from the Irma Hotel, is the Dan Miller Cowboy Review. My wife and I enjoyed htis musical show so much went went back the next night.

https://youtu.be/sP0khqfq7zA
Alas, the Dan Miller Cowboy review is no more.....they are showing old movies in the theater across from the Irma..
BobMontgomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 09:28 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Be sure to go and stay a while, you won't get bored. Museum is awesome, lunch at the Irma is so cool. be sure to see the bar, you can really imagine the wild west. I enjoyed a little shopping in the town, still have the silver belt buckle I bought, there are some real cowboys in town, found a couple while walking around. Also... they do some rodeo in Cody!!!! I like the rodeo. Hope you enjoy it.
King Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 04:37 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMontgomer View Post
Alas, the Dan Miller Cowboy review is no more.....they are showing old movies in the theater across from the Irma..
Sorry to hear that. I would go there just to hear some good cowboy music. My father was a real fan of the Sons of the Pioneers. I remember when Festus (Ken Curtis) sang on Gunsmoke. Those were the days
Old 07-10-2016, 05:50 PM   #27

X5 for the Cody-O

(Cody rodeo)