Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-07-2016, 05:18 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Cody, WY question

We're planning our 4th trip out West. We've been to Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, Mt Rushmore, GC, RMNP, Monument Valley, driven the Beartooth Highway. We never visited Cody. If we decide to do that on this trip (we're headed to Glacier NP then on to OR and northern CA), we'd have to detour a bit to drive over to Cody from Buffalo.

So, my question is whether the Buffalo Bill Museum is really that great? Other than the obvious wonderful scenery on the drive through those mountains, what else would we miss if we don't go there?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2016, 08:15 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
We went through Cody last year without stopping - since then I have seen lots of posts saying everyone that stopped loved it. Lots to see and do - I'm going back to stay there.
2012 Jeep Liberty
docsdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 08:20 AM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
The Buffalo Bill Museum is a must-see if you're into guns or old west/native American things! They've got two floors filled with every gun ever invented on planet earth! I spent 3 days in the museum! We were in Cody 5 days and I wasn't ready to leave!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 08:25 AM   #4

We were just there a month ago. It's worth the stop. The museum is huge divided up in roughly 4-5 major sections. On the West side of town is a collection of old western buildings that were moved to one place. It is also very interesting. On the East side of town several miles is an old WWII Japanese internment camp that tells how it was. That too was interesting telling a story that few of us know anything about. We allowed two days there.
Old 07-07-2016, 08:29 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rskeans View Post
We were just there a month ago. It's worth the stop. The museum is huge divided up in roughly 4-5 major sections. On the West side of town is a collection of old western buildings that were moved to one place. It is also very interesting. On the East side of town several miles is an old WWII Japanese internment camp that tells how it was. That too was interesting telling a story that few of us know anything about. We allowed two days there.

I didn't know about the internment camp!
Old 07-07-2016, 09:44 AM   #6

We just got back from Cody. We were all very impressed with the Buffalo Bill Museum. Definitely worth a stop!
JJ Holiday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 10:51 AM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by docsdock View Post
We went through Cody last year without stopping - since then I have seen lots of posts saying everyone that stopped loved it. Lots to see and do - I'm going back to stay there.

Plan to be there at least a week if you really want to see everything!
Old 07-07-2016, 11:21 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rskeans View Post

I grew up in Casper, WY.
At that time the 'museum' was in a small ruin down house
BIG difference now.
Allow at least 2 days for a quick trip thru 'event center'
Buffalo Bill Museum & Grave - Golden, Colorado

The Japanese Interment Camp was NOT our nations best and like the Andersonville Prison in GA (Civil War) it is a stark look at our history
that one should visit
Heart Mountain Interpretive Center, Heart Mountain Foundation, Wyoming
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 11:30 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Go see the museum and attend the rodeo that runs each day. Also nearby is Thermopolus, something to see. A drive across the Bear Tooth Pass/Chief Joseph Highway is worthwhile as well.

Museum is very good. Really liked the western part of it, gun side was interesting. Worth a couple days, wear good shoes!
Old 07-07-2016, 12:32 PM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Go see the museum and attend the rodeo that runs each day. Also nearby is Thermopolus, something to see. A drive across the Bear Tooth Pass/Chief Joseph Highway is worthwhile as well.

Museum is very good. Really liked the western part of it, gun side was interesting. Worth a couple days, wear good shoes!

Don't miss that! We drove across it the first day it opened for traffic in the spring of 2012. Snow banks were 12' high beside the road!
Old 07-07-2016, 12:40 PM   #11

Stop into the Irma Hotel for lunch.. you may have a ghostly experience.
The Haunted Hotel

We stayed there for two nights and the wife had her feet tickled at 3am. It wasn't me. and we heard furniture moving on hardwood floors in the hallway and when we looked out the hall was wall to wall carpet and no furniture in sight.. Lots of ghost stories about the Irma.
HR2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 12:45 PM   #12
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
We were in Cody last summer for two days, and I wish we had stayed longer. I'll go back someday soon.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 12:53 PM   #13

Cody WY

We are planning our trip next year when school gets out. Taking a month to travel from MA . We are going to the Cody rodeo and see if we can get my son to ride the bulls...
GRibeiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 02:05 PM   #14

Cody is a must see. The Buffalo Bill museum is outstanding. The history of the town is very interesting as well. At least 2days for the museum is necessary. Don't miss Cody. We've been there twice and will return.

Al Sawyer
'05 Mt. Aire
allynne is offline   Reply With Quote