Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2022, 07:29 PM   #1

Colorado / New Mexico trip

Ok we have about 10-14 days we can hang out up in the mountains, we will be leaving from Fort Worth, sometime between now and mid September, 43 foot Dutchstar with toad. I have hunted in New Mexico and Colorado but never have really just hung out there, looking for suggestions on where to stay and what to do, not really into hiking ( unless I have a back pack and a rifle ) , we like to fish and just see stuff we have not really seen before, any places to stay or things to do would greatly be appreciated, we are very new to traveling in a motorhome, thank you.
Kampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2022, 07:52 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
We spent some time in N NM and visited Los Alamos and Bandilier National Monument. Both interesting places if you like that sort of thing. This was in 2015, at the time we had to take a shuttle to the Bandilier site from the visitor center and the there was overnight RV parking at the visitor center at the time for a reasonable site. We stayed a couple nights and went to Los Alamos also. Spent some time in the driving/hiking in the area.

Spent a couple days in Santa Fe also, the old town area was interesting.

All were well worth the visit.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 08:36 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Elephant Butte reservoir if you're interested in fishing https://www.emnrd.nm.gov/spd/find-a-...ke-state-park/
Carlsbad caverns if you like exploring, Santa Fe if you like history and art, Albuquerque has the longest cable driven tramway in the US, Hatch is the home of the world famous hatch green chili. Tucumcari has route 66.
Old 08-03-2022, 08:50 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
We had a great time in Santa Fe. Lots of history and art. A side trip to Taos is worth it. About 70 miles. We stayed at Santa Fe Skies RV park.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 09:03 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
+2 on Santa Fe Skies for a place to stay while checking out the city.

A bucket list item for you is the balloon festival in Albuquerque. You will never meet anyone that said they didn't have a wonderful time there.

We make the drive from DFW to Colorado & NM every year. I'm about 40 S. of Dallas, so on the first day, we make a "short" drive and stay at the Ole Cotten Gin RV park in Goodlett. It's a decent place to stay overnight. This year we're just going to Colorado so 2nd night is at the RV park at the top of Raton Pass on 25. It is a great overnight stay.
Old 08-03-2022, 10:43 PM   #6

Given your date range I assume you want to get away from the heat, given your limited time you probably don't want to go to too many places, so I would suggest sticking to one region, maybe Sante Fe with a side trip up to Chama where they have a train ride through the mountains. Double check the covid openings though, last I heard some of the tribal lands in the area were still closed to tourism as of a few months ago.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 10:45 PM   #7

Stay in Durango. Mid-Sept is a beautiful time for the fall color in the mountains. If you don't have a 4x4 drive up to Silverton in your car & rent one or take a 4x4 tour. Awesome!

From Durango you could also do a day trip to Mesa Verde Nat'l Park or keep going on 145 up to Telluride for a look-see. Ride the free gondola. Then continue to Ridgeway, Ouray, Silverton and back to Durango.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 07:09 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Knowing what you like to do matters a bit. Santa Fe/Taos are "touristy", some of my favorite haunts in the mountains are more about peace, quiet and a bit of hiking.

NM campgrounds around where the major forest fires have been closed, so make sure you know anyplace you're headed is actually open. With these closures, I've found that other facilities have increased demand, I've noted that most campgrounds are well booked through the end of the season.

Can't go wrong with Durango, actually anything between Cortez and Antonito on Hwy 160 is pretty nice.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Mark_K5LXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 07:15 AM   #9

Recently visited Carlsbad Caverns and White Sands national park in NM. Both are worth a visit, and they are fairly close to each other. We stayed at KOAs in Carlsbad and Alamogordo, and both were nice.
jergle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 07:21 AM   #10

If "escape the heat" is a primary goal, then Angel Fire, NM needs to be high on the list. At over 8,000' it is cool. I just checked Weatherunderground for the next 10 days. Highest high is 75 degrees. Lowest low is 45 degrees. Yes, this is in August.

Both high-end resort and small mom and pop CG's available in Angel Fire.

Just up the road is Eagle Nest with a number of CG's as well.

Taos is just over the mountain. Drive the Enchanted Circle in your toad (around 13,000+ Mt Wheeler), etc.
Old 08-04-2022, 07:41 AM   #11

South Fork, CO - fish the Rio Grand River, explore the forest roads, visit Creed, CO, stay in Chinook RV Park and Cabins.

andy29847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 10:21 AM   #12

Thanks for all of the suggestions, we are the kind that believes in make no plans break the no plans lol. I think having one or two basecamps and exploring those areas is what would fit us the best. Thanks again for all the ideas and tips.
Kampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 02:25 PM   #13

Angel Fire RV Park in Angel Fire NM might be the best RV park we have ever stayed at.
Old 08-05-2022, 05:32 PM   #14

I have read good things about Priest Gulch RV near Durango -- a good base camp, good fishing. I've never been there, so I can't promise that it is as great as people say it is.

https://priestgulch.com/

Tags
colorado