Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-27-2021, 11:22 PM   #15

To Mr Max Headroom; I apologize if my feeling offended you. I made my comments so all who read it would have an honest assessment about the park from someone who has stayed there.

Neither the trains or the cottonwood trees scared us, it was the park residents, including management. I'm trying to be politically correct here!

When we stayed there 2 years ago, trains went through Delta many times a day. I love the trains. Normally not so close, but... When we made our reservations, the office mentioned the trains. I mentioned the cottonwood trees because their falling seeds could "gum" up an AC. The low electric was during June of 2019. Our 30 amp unit (at the time) taxed the electrical pedestal when the AC unit kicked on.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2021, 06:11 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodesaz View Post
We didn't stay in Montrose but did visit several times. We stayed at Valley Sunset RV in Delta (20 miles North). The electric was problematic at 108 volts, lots of "snowing" Cottonwood trees and train tracks 100 feet outside the park. We never felt safe in the park! Always felt we were one moment away from being robbed. There are at least 4 other rv parks. The city of Delta has 20 plus beautiful murals through-out the city.
Interesting how we all see things - I seldom comment on RV Parks but do remember this as a fair price with many permanent Residents - thought the park was well run - Spoke with the owner numerous time during out 5 day stay, we were just needing a place to rest and restock for a few days, as said everything is right there - Wall*Mart and Safeway - Nice little town, sort of Place we enjoy, Felt more than Safe and even with the Temps in the triple digits the Cottonwoods provided Great Shade and our A/C worked well.

We were there in 2020 and they were planning, had permits, to expand with more units - IMHO - that usually means things are running well and there are few problems (In my past life I owned and ran a trailer park, not easy!) If I recall they had the lowest priced Propane we had seen

Did not see all the Murals in town but did recall an Antique Car Dealership on Main Street.and it was an interesting town, that we would certainly visit and enjoy again.

I guess it's just a matter of Perspective, I would recommend it as a place to just hang out but not as a place to visit the San Juan's or Montrose - we enjoyed a few long drives to Black Canyon NP and High Mesas in the area, some beautiful Country all around the park, but understand I have only driven on a few roads it Colorado that I have not enjoyed.

So IMHO - Valley Sunset RV in Delta was fine and would have no problem with a revisit.

JMHO,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 12:38 PM   #17

Mark, I'm not sure where all you want to go in CO, but you're doing very good staying in Ridgway (we stayed in Pa-Co-Chu-Puk campground and caught fish in the river).
We also enjoyed staying in Gunnison at the KOA (real nice campground and town). From there you can take a drive down Hwy 149 to Lake City and Creede. We really liked Creede. Also from Gunnison you can go up Hwy 135 to Crested Butte.
If you want to stay further west in Buena Vista, you can take day trips to Twin Lakes and Leadville, and see other sites also.
There is no end of places to see in CO, so you'll need to go back each year to see more.
Happy travels,
2018 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 32SA
High Road Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 07:00 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by wog099 View Post
Mark, I'm not sure where all you want to go in CO, but you're doing very good staying in Ridgway (we stayed in Pa-Co-Chu-Puk campground and caught fish in the river).
We also enjoyed staying in Gunnison at the KOA (real nice campground and town). From there you can take a drive down Hwy 149 to Lake City and Creede. We really liked Creede. Also from Gunnison you can go up Hwy 135 to Crested Butte.
If you want to stay further west in Buena Vista, you can take day trips to Twin Lakes and Leadville, and see other sites also.
There is no end of places to see in CO, so you'll need to go back each year to see more.
Happy travels,
Thanks for the info. We are now going to be staying 5 nights outside of Gunnison at Elk Creek Campground, and seeing some of the sites you have mentioned. Thanks again
mlh2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 06:52 PM   #19

Uncompahgre River RV Park

in Olathe just down the road from Montrose is the nicest rv park we have found in Colorado
beaverfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 08:50 PM   #20

Ridgway State Park is fabulous! I’d try to get a FHU site. This location is so convenient to Ridgway, Ouray and Telluride.
Ranger John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 09:38 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
Might be the most popular park in Colorado - GET YOUR RESERVATION NOW!

Anything else you need help with?

Good info HERE - https://www.irv2.com/forums/f42/oura...it-442372.html

Best of Luck,
Thanks for posting that, I hadn't seen it.
Reading the mentions in that thread about the CO filming sites for "True Grit" reminds me why I have a hard time enjoying that movie any longer. You see, the movie claims to be set in the Fort Smith area, and since I now live just a couple hours from Ft Smith I know we don't have any beautiful mountains like those in the movie. The lack of authenticity bugs me, I guess.

mlh2013, if you are able to drive up the hill almost to the Amphitheater NF CG, IIRC just before going in the CG itself there's a small parking lot for a lookout view across the valley. It's worth the look.

BTW, here's a photo I took at that CG about a dozen years ago. Thought the angle was just right....

Click image for larger version

Name:	good shot Whizz.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	554.3 KB
ID:	353014

19' ETI Escape trailer
Rexlion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 01:50 AM   #22

If you would please report back on you impression of Ridgeway. In 2011, before we had an rv, we rented a cabin on the bluff overlooking the park. With binoculars I could see the restroom building and parking lot from the kitchen window. That was 800' below me. Drove thru the campground looking around and was very impressed. Walked the dogs on the trails thru the park multiple times, it was great. The wife wasn't impressed with the sign saying that there were bears in the area (never saw any), but she didn't like the sign in Raton NM that warned of rattlesnakes at the rest stop either. I guess she just doesn't like signs. Their are really nice paved trails leading into town as I recall. The views are great, the attractions are great, now that we have an rv, we plan on returning.
Old 01-05-2022, 07:04 AM   #23

We are getting pretty excited about this trip, all the different sights you folks have mentioned we can hardly wait to get out there. Rexlion all I can say about that picture is... And yes 4eveverlooking I will certainly give a report on Ridgway SP, from what others have stated on this thread I'm pretty sure it will be awesome. Thanks again.
Old 02-17-2022, 07:01 PM   #24

Update on this trip. We have decided upon leaving Colorado we will head in to Utah and spend a few days in the Moab area. We've been there before and visited all the NP's in the vicinity, but thought we would revisit some of them. We made reservations in Dead Horse Point State Park for mid June. Any tips for the area are welcomed.
Old 05-15-2022, 03:59 PM   #25

Well we are leaving on this trip next week. So what if diesel is 6 bucks a gallon the wife say's we can't take it with us.
Old 05-16-2022, 01:23 AM   #26

Have a great trip!!!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 04:43 PM   #27

OP - (& all who read this) - I'm not on this site often, but checked-in and enjoyed the enthusiasm and anticipation you've expressed about your trip to S.W. Colorado.

I think you will enjoy Ridgway State Park.

Thanks to all who have used and enjoyed the write ups I did a few years ago. I simply love this area. Hearing comments from folks always helps me re-live our first visit here.
(A lot has changed here since I posted the 3 days in Ouray-area suggestions. At the same time, much has stayed the same. Update maybe needed.)

Here's a tip...you can time your trip through the canyon road closure west of Gunnison. Your delay will be minimized if you check the current status of road closures. CDOT has a published schedule, but it can change daily, even hourly.

To get up to date information, go to CDOT's web site, check on Hwy 50 construction and sign up for the updates via text messaging (try COTRIP).

Arrive at the road closure, (about 3-5 miles west of Blue Mesa Resivoir- small settlement of Sapinero) at least 45 minutes before the next opening. (You won't be so far back in line that way.) You'll park your rig on the pavement, (westbound lane). You can pass the time by getting out of your rig and chatting with the others who are waiting, taking pictures or relaxing.
While you are on your trip, I'll check in 2-3 times a week to see if you, or anyone else could use some help.
Have a wonderful trip!
Rock-N-Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 10:13 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh2013 View Post
Well we are leaving on this trip next week. So what if diesel is 6 bucks a gallon the wife say's we can't take it with us.
For now, you can take it with you... in the tank!

19' ETI Escape trailer
Rexlion is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
colorado