Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2021, 02:22 PM   #1

Comments- Ideas on Pacific NW trip?

Hi all,

Still working on our plans to escape Michigan's Seasonal Ice Age.

While we are solid for months with a locked in reservation on Jekyll Island, GA we are thinking a longer trip to the Pacific NW to Portland then down the Calif. coast to Anza-Borrego and into AZ and NM.

Concerns about the fires and water resources...
Since we are in our Invicta we can not slip into small state park sites that we could with our 19' Escape TT.

This is our tentative RVParky route
Cheers all,
Bat Dude

Bat Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2021, 03:11 PM   #2

I have to ask about a planned start date for your tour?

Many RV parks across the plains close soon after Oct first .
We've stayed in Rapid City SD and only been able to get two nights the first week of Oct. because the park was closing for the winter , laundry was closed and only 10 sites still had water turned on.
Old 07-24-2021, 04:31 PM   #3

We're full timers that have summered in NorCal three years in a row. If I were you I'd pick up 101 at Tillamook and run it all the way to SF it's a good smooth road and a very scenic drive. Don't worry about your size. We've run it with a 35' 5th wheel with no issues whatsoever.

Call George at Klamath Camper Corral in Klamath, California. He's a super guy and I can almost guarantee he'll have a spot for you. Nice grassy pull through sites in the middle of the Redwoods.

I can also report that there is free water at the Lincoln rest stop on I80 between Cheyenne and Laramie 41.23720, -105.43420 . It's a freeze proof faucet on the second to the top loop. Very good water.
RS ODonnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 04:57 PM   #4

Foretravel Owners Club
Looks like a very good route, Take your time and enjoy!
I as well suggest wandering up to Astoria and then head south..
NOTE! Stop in The Dalles and tour the End of the Oregon Trail museums, Fort The Dalles, and take the fish run tour @ The Dalles Dam....[ Stay overnite @ the Eagles/Elks lodge parking lot [power only].
Then ... Just for gits & shiggles... head into WA. on I-5 and catch WA state route 4 to SR 401 to Astoria..
There is a county park called Skamokawa Vista Park. You can park on the shore of the Columbia River and watch the seagoing ships pass by really really close to the shore [100 yards or so]
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 05:39 PM   #5

From Portland head over to Astoria, OR and work you way all the way down 101. It's an absolutely beautiful, easy drive for any size RV. We've done it often in our 40' MH. The Oregon state parks are great. (This is not the same as Hwy 1 which is narrow and twisty for a big rig.)
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 05:43 PM   #6

If you have the time Id head through Portland and get onto Highway 26 and start rolling down the Oregon coast on Highway 101 from Seaside into California. It will take longer, but its a much prettier drive than I5.

Oh, Id also just drive right through Portland. Any charm it had is long gone at this point.
Newmar2856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 06:18 PM   #7

Take the Klamath stop over advice. Portland to San Jose would be one very long day, with no time to see sights.
Old 07-24-2021, 06:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bat Dude View Post
Hi all,

..... Michigan's Seasonal Ice Age.

Concerns about the fires and water resources......

When it comes to ice, you want to be through the Columbia River Gorge by about Thanksgiving.

Fires are a local thing. Went to a birthday party north of the SF bay area and then back to Lassen NP. There were two large fires and at one point it was dark enough to turn on headlights. Twenty miles later it was clear.

If you want to so see water in a California lake, leave now.

I spend summers in the PNW. Depending on when you head south, you can run into snow. The one time we had to leave late we went down US 101. It is less crowded in the fall. However, at some point in California going south traffic is not MH friendly.
Old 07-24-2021, 08:07 PM   #9

I'm horribly confused. If you are escaping Michigan winter why are you heading north. If you're leaving now and winding up in AZ in the winter it makes some sense. I'm just wondering why you are going through Iowa and Nebraska this time of year, it will be hot. I might look at crossing the bridge and taking US2 or maybe I-94 over to the PNW and then down. If you're leaving later, say around the first of September I'm thinking you're risking getting into snow in the mountains. It's your trip, best of luck.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 08:29 PM   #10

Have fun!

I'm assuming the numbers on your map indicate a stop you're planning-- either stopping for the night or an excursion/sight you want to see. If those numbers/stops aren't in stone, I'd almost recommend heading north, cross the bridge and head west on Hwy. 2. But, like a previous poster already wrote, it's your vacay so just do it and enjoy.

BTW, looks on your map that you are from the Big Rapids/Cadillac area. We live over in Clare County. Enjoy the trip, neighbor!
Chadrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 10:40 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newmar2856 View Post
If you have the time Id head through Portland and get onto Highway 26 and start rolling down the Oregon coast on Highway 101 from Seaside into California. It will take longer, but its a much prettier drive than I5.

Oh, Id also just drive right through Portland. Any charm it had is long gone at this point.
do this if at all possible you won't regret it its slow but the scenery is awesome the weather is usually warm summer and winter you shouldn't have to worry about snow and ice.
Jay D.
Jay D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 10:54 PM   #12

You didn't give a time when you plan to leave.

I'd recommend going to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and take Hwy 2 across. You can head straight over to Washington state. Could get on the Olympic Peninsula via Tacoma, WA, Hwy 16 north to Port Townsend, Sequim on Hwy 101, Port Angeles, Forks than head south on 101 through Oregon on the coast and into California on 101.

You had better leave now!!
Old 07-25-2021, 03:30 AM   #13

Tnx for suggestions

Hi all,

Tnx for the many suggestions.

Just planning at the moment.

More or less every other point is simply a rest stop planned ~ 2 hours or so. Let Esm our dog, stretch her legs, and maybe the driver and DW as well.

A couple are longer days with 5+ hours between over nights so 2 rest stops slotted in.

Only one long trip in our MH last year so with the new front suspension mods and repairs it drives a whole lot better now. No more "Oh Poop" moments when Vickie decided to change lanes on her own after a big trucks blew past. Turned out front wheel bearings were loose and front end alignment was way off as well. All fixed under warranty and I added Sumo front springs and CHF.

I have seen recommendations from other MH folks who use the 2+2 travel plan. Every 2 travel days stop for 2 days. Will not drive at night as it is clear normal aging impacts night vision.

I also do not want to be heading over the Mnts. with possible snow but assume Interstates will be open. We have both East and West RV & Truckers Mountain guides that show were the white knuckle descents are that could smoke brakes, so will avoid those or at least creep down at a slow safe speed.

We abandoned the idea of routeing through Da UP as we will not be leaving here until late Oct. and everything is more or less closed up there then. Beautiful area and spent time in our small TT several times in the past. If Copper Harbor did not get 22' of snow every year it woudl be a nice place to live ;-).

Need to be gone by Mid. Nov. in any case as our 22-25 sloped drive would be impossible to get the rig up and onto the road once iced or snowed on. As it is backing down the 9' wide concrete drive with trees on each side and the rig 8.5' wide is always fun.

Looks like US 101 will be the choice south. Astoria sounds like a "don't miss." Thought about Port Ageles in Wash. state and the Olympic Penn. to see the rain forest to compare with the ones we lived and worked in for 25+ years in Central America. However seems like Oct-Nov it may really be cold & wet then.

HWY 101 will be our new routing and see how that goes. From Portland all we know is Monterey,CA is one area for a prolonged stop.

Maybe head back to Death Valley again. I worked there as an undergrad student in the early 70's during the summer doing biological surveys of springs.

Will certainly avoid San Diego and major Calif. urban areas.

Wife wants to explore Yuma at some point. So may be a prolonged stop. Rusty's in Rodeo N.M. has great sites that are really large and of course right next to the Chiricahua Mountains, but is cold and windy Dec-Feb at that elevation.

Will not plan on returning to Mich until the ice is gone ...like early May!
Although with the climate change and warming it may be sooner in the future.

One year we headed back in early April and there was still 3" of ice on the lake in front of the house.

Seems no one is concerned about the fires or water issues so I guess I will just go for it and have a dynamic trip with flexibility.

Cheers all,
Bat Dude
Bat Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 01:44 PM   #14

Since you're leaving in Oct/Nov and this is a winter trip you won't have fire issues. I don't understand your 'water issues'. Do you mean for playing in/or the lakes? Or to fill your tank? There will always be water to fill your tank.

Try to be at Death Valley during the 49ers celebration in November. It's fun.