RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2019, 03:35 PM   #15
tcg

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadDogYVR View Post
I may have been the personal that related the original anecdote in the other mentioned post. It truly is enough of a problem here in British Columbia Canada that our Tourism department was instructed to do a comprehensive study. The issue is that RV Rental companies are purchasing blocks of campground sites to be handed out to their renters. This is in Provincial and Federal parks/campgrounds as far as I know. Parks our tax dollars largely fund. The "fix" is in long before most of us can even get access to the booking sites. I've long been a Crown Land (kind of like the US National Park Service...) boondocker but it sure would be nice on occasion to be able to book something in a park and be a tourist in my own country.
Here in Michigan you can't rent more than one spot in your name and they started non refundable reservations to prevent people from booking many dates and then only using the dates they were available and getting a refund for their unused reservations.

I haven't seen any problems in state parks with rental companies but having state campgrounds selling out and then having many open sites because people got refunds at the last minute was a real problem.

Hopefully you guys get it worked out, our system isn't perfect but at least they're trying.
tcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2019, 04:02 PM   #16

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2D View Post
True, they are paying for the rv sites just as the rest of us do.
The one thing I neglected to mention above is that these spots are being bought in block. That is ultimately the problem I have - we have aggressive protocols up here regarding concert ticket sales due to scalping and I sure think this is somewhat related.

And I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your trip up through Alberta! The GF and I are planning a fair number of trips camping through the PNW this season and look forward to "returning the favour" of spending our hard earned money in the USA.
RoadDogYVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 04:30 PM   #17

On a somewhat related note to this thread, we are in the midst of planning our 2019 trip to Alaska thru Banff and Jasper, we travel in a group of 3 fifth wheels. does anyone know if Parks Canada will allow one person to book the sites for all 3 parties for a particular nite in a particular campground? Example: campsites 20, 21,22 in campground wherever for june 10th?
Tightwadted is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alaska, alaska trip, rental