Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-06-2015, 08:19 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Corpus Christi/Rockport area

Will be traveling thru southern Texas around the end of January/early Feb. We expect to be in the area for several weeks. The only reservations we have are at a B&B on the River Walk in San Antonio for Valentines Day, otherwise we are winging it. For that weekend we will Toad into San Antonio and leave the RV behind.

We're in a 39' Disco and are thinking of settling in somewhere south of San Antonio, hopefully near the coast. We'll be coming in from the Tombstone area and are PPA members, but are not locked into *only* PPA campgrounds.

We've never been in that part of the world and are looking for any advise on good campgrounds, ones to avoid and should I be really really making reservations now. We hate being locked into having to be someplace on a certain day but don't want to spend 2 weeks at Walmart either

Any tips on the area would be most appreciated
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2015, 08:33 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
We have some friends that stay at Bayview RV Park, just south of the bridge. THey are there now and like the friendliness of the park. Older park, but well kept. We stop there on the way to the valley each year. Worth a visit.
johnzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 08:17 AM   #3

KZ RV Club
Just got back from Goose Island SP in Rockport on Sunday. We stayed from Dec 21st - Jan 3rd. The area is nice, but the SP is TIGHT. Lots of overhanging trees, tight spaces (unless you're out on the beach sites), and not many amenities in the park itself. With a 39' MH, I'd say either stick to the beach sites or if you want a wooded area, look at the sites in the 150's. There are a few other spots, but the inner loops are TIGHT.

If you're disabled military (like I am) and have I think 80% or higher rating, you get a Texas State Parks Pass that covers 2 people. This can save you $10-$15 a day in every Texas SP and is good for like 100 years or something crazy.

If you're a bird watcher, you'll love it. My wife is a wildlife biologist and loves birding, so she had a great 2 weeks.

I did a bunch of fishing and at times couldn't keep up with 2 poles in the water.

If you have dogs, there is a big fenced in dog park in Rockport. There are big and small dog areas and I want to say it's easily close to 3 acres of fenced area for them to run around.

Lots of good restaurants. You HAVE to hit Rockport Doughnut.....fantastic! Check Yelp before you hit any place to eat, there are some really good places that look like dives and some really bad places that look like palaces. You MUST eat at the Butter Churn....WOW! Probably my new favorite place to eat EVER.

For TV, obviously if you have satellite you're good, but we also picked up about 18 local OTA channels that came in great.

As for other parks in the area, the ones we saw driving around were........parking lots, to put it nicely.

If you plan to stay on the water be ready for 2 things.....wind and air boat noise.

We stayed at site 118. I had to trim a few branches to get in here, but it fit.....barely.

This was fishing near the bridge in the SP, just across from the boat launch area....couldn't keep up with the Black and Red Drum.

The wife doing her bird thing on Christmas morning....

Whopping Cranes over near the Big Tree area just outside the park.....

The whole area is loaded with Live Oaks. This is the area they call Big Tree.....

The wife and I out on the jetty in Port Aransas. It was REALLY windy this day, but still pretty nice.....
Cumminalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 08:38 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Rockport has many parks and almost all have vacancies for short term. I only reserve there if we want to stay a month. Take a look at Port Aransas. It is on an outer island,Mustang Island, and you can dry camp on the beach for a very small fee. There is a county park (I.B. Magee county park) on the beach that has water/elec. and dump station. You can watch the ships come into the inland waterway at this spot. Check out parks using RV parks revues.
t55watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 09:51 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminalong View Post
Just got back from Goose Island SP in Rockport on Sunday. We stayed from Dec 21st - Jan 3rd. The area is nice, but the SP is TIGHT. Lots of overhanging trees, tight spaces (unless you're out on the beach sites), and not many amenities in the park itself. With a 39' MH, I'd say either stick to the beach sites or if you want a wooded area, look at the sites in the 150's. There are a few other spots, but the inner loops are TIGHT.

If you're disabled military (like I am) and have I think 80% or higher rating, you get a Texas State Parks Pass that covers 2 people. This can save you $10-$15 a day in every Texas SP and is good for like 100 years or something crazy.

If you're a bird watcher, you'll love it. My wife is a wildlife biologist and loves birding, so she had a great 2 weeks.

I did a bunch of fishing and at times couldn't keep up with 2 poles in the water.

If you have dogs, there is a big fenced in dog park in Rockport. There are big and small dog areas and I want to say it's easily close to 3 acres of fenced area for them to run around.

Lots of good restaurants. You HAVE to hit Rockport Doughnut.....fantastic! Check Yelp before you hit any place to eat, there are some really good places that look like dives and some really bad places that look like palaces. You MUST eat at the Butter Churn....WOW! Probably my new favorite place to eat EVER.

For TV, obviously if you have satellite you're good, but we also picked up about 18 local OTA channels that came in great.

As for other parks in the area, the ones we saw driving around were........parking lots, to put it nicely.

If you plan to stay on the water be ready for 2 things.....wind and air boat noise.

We stayed at site 118. I had to trim a few branches to get in here, but it fit.....barely.

This was fishing near the bridge in the SP, just across from the boat launch area....couldn't keep up with the Black and Red Drum.

The wife doing her bird thing on Christmas morning....

Whopping Cranes over near the Big Tree area just outside the park.....

The whole area is loaded with Live Oaks. This is the area they call Big Tree.....

The wife and I out on the jetty in Port Aransas. It was REALLY windy this day, but still pretty nice.....
X2 on the area.. stayed at Drifters - a very nice park.

And the Big Tree is big...!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1420649503523.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	216.5 KB
ID:	82874  
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 09:55 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
X2 on the area.. stayed at Drifters - a very nice park.

And the Big Tree is big...!
Oops... forgot I had this pic of the "fishing sites"
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1420649725233.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	82875  
Old 01-07-2015, 12:44 PM   #7

We've been going to Goose Island for well over 30 years.
Love that place.....
We always park on the waterfront. The mosquitos are brutal back in the trees in the summertime.
Old 01-09-2015, 10:51 AM   #8

Ardbark;

Don't know if you mean actual campgrounds, or also RV parks, but here is a link for local RV parks in/near Rockport.

Rockport Texas RV Parks and Campgrounds

There are many nice parks in the area, reasonable prices, and different levels of amenities.

Good luck and enjoy the area.

Ken Gasbarri
Old 01-09-2015, 11:51 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DraginRat View Post
Ardbark;

Don't know if you mean actual campgrounds, or also RV parks, but here is a link for local RV parks in/near Rockport.

Rockport Texas RV Parks and Campgrounds

There are many nice parks in the area, reasonable prices, and different levels of amenities.

Good luck and enjoy the area.

Ken Gasbarri
Thanks for the link, parks for the most part I think. I've been all over RV Park Review as well as PPA's web site (which I'm a member) and there are close to 60 just in the Corpus Christi/Rockport area alone. A daunting task to narrow the field when you've never been there, hence my question to the group.

My main concern was being shut out and ending up in a Wallyworld parking lot. With that many RV Parks in the area I imagine we can find something without a reservation. We plan on staying for a couple of weeks at least so PPA would be easier on the wallet but its not the end of the world either way and a 55 and over park would be bonus points Looks like there are about 7 or 8 PPAs in the area, Bay View being one of them (which John recommended earlier)
Old 01-10-2015, 08:08 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
After you narrow your search to a few parks take a look at them on Google Earth or other satellite views. Some aren't what they advertise. But then you are senior member so you know that.
t55watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 07:09 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Flaggship1. What month were you in Rockport and what were you using for bait.

I wonder how Kayaks would do for fishing.

Keith
ruffian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 07:37 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffian View Post
Flaggship1. What month were you in Rockport and what were you using for bait.

I wonder how Kayaks would do for fishing.

Keith
Nov 13 - Dec 1st. We, unfortunately were not fishing. Others were and it was reported to be very good fishing on the windy side of the "beach sites" in the Goose Island state park. We saw folks yak fishin but not sure how they did or what they used. Did see this guy pulling em from his cooler and fileting away.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1420943839959.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	83092  
Old 01-10-2015, 10:56 PM   #13

If you are retired military, 100% disabled, retired DOD, check out Ft.Sam Houston RV park, about 5-7 miles from river walk.Very convenient for touring San Antonio and river walk shopping.
Re: PPA, Keep in mind during high occupancy months many RV parks enforce restrictions. These are set by each RV park not PPA, so check their advertisement in the directory restrictions.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 03:29 PM   #14

KZ RV Club
Ruffian,

I was using Cajun Thunder's with shrimp hanging about 2' below the surface and also putting shrimp on the bottom. The shrimp on the bottom was getting me the best results. Again, I literally could not keep up with 2 poles.

Kayaks would have been tough to fish from while we were there. We brought the kayak but never even unloaded it. It was just too windy and you'd be fighting it the whole time.

In Texas, if you fish from shore or a pier you don't need a fishing license, but if you wade fish or otherwise go off-shore, you need a fishing license.
Cumminalong is offline   Reply With Quote