Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-01-2022, 02:33 PM   #15

What route did you take from Santa Fe to Cortez? AND, any recommendations on places to stay in Santa Fe?
Stan_O is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2022, 02:46 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan_O View Post
What route did you take from Santa Fe to Cortez? AND, any recommendations on places to stay in Santa Fe?
Just in case the OP doesn't see your post I'd recommended this route: Take 84 north out of Santa Fe to Pagosa Springs, CO then 160 west to Cortez. It's a beautiful drive with no major hills.

Stop in Pagosa Springs for a long soak in a beautiful place overlooking the river and small town. There are pool of varying temperatures and you can move from one to another. Bring a small cooler for lunch or snacks/drinks and spend a few hours there. Awesome!

Santa Fe Skies is a very nice RV park. There are others but not as nice.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 02:49 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
The best route to Cortez from Santa Fe is to back track down I-25 about 40 miles to Bernalillo to pick up HWY 550 North. This route will take you to Bloomfield where you'll pick up Hwy 64 over to Shiprock. Then take Hwy 491 to Cortez.

This is easier than going north of Santa Fe and up to Chama, NM and over to Pagosa Springs then Durango and finally to Cortez.

The ONLY place we will stay in Santa Fe is Santa Fe Skies. It's the number one there by far. It's a little bit south of town but a great location. When you first pull in you may wonder why it's so popular. It's all gravel and desert plants. But the night ski there is magic and you can see the lights of town. Call ahead for a reservation they don't do online and it's very popular with everything from travel trailers to Prevost Buses.

We done this trip multiple times and the back tracking way I mentioned is a tiny bit longer but much easier and quicker roads. Not that we drive over 63 mph.

UPDATE: I see TwoGypsies is a fan of the "scenic route" Be aware, there are two passes that way, not major passes, but they are notable. Also, the way I suggested has some great rock formations and canyons. But both ways have drawbacks. It's all in how you look at things - for instance the Hot Springs in Pagosa is very crowded and costs $55 per person to share a small hot pool with 2-dozen other people. You decide.
Old 07-01-2022, 03:49 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
The best route to Cortez from Santa Fe is to back track down I-25 about 40 miles to Bernalillo to pick up HWY 550 North. This route will take you to Bloomfield where you'll pick up Hwy 64 over to Shiprock. Then take Hwy 491 to Cortez.

This is easier than going north of Santa Fe and up to Chama, NM and over to Pagosa Springs then Durango and finally to Cortez.

The ONLY place we will stay in Santa Fe is Santa Fe Skies. It's the number one there by far. It's a little bit south of town but a great location. When you first pull in you may wonder why it's so popular. It's all gravel and desert plants. But the night ski there is magic and you can see the lights of town. Call ahead for a reservation they don't do online and it's very popular with everything from travel trailers to Prevost Buses.

We done this trip multiple times and the back tracking way I mentioned is a tiny bit longer but much easier and quicker roads. Not that we drive over 63 mph.

UPDATE: I see TwoGypsies is a fan of the "scenic route" Be aware, there are two passes that way, not major passes, but they are notable. Also, the way I suggested has some great rock formations and canyons. But both ways have drawbacks. It's all in how you look at things - for instance the hot springs in Pagosa is very crowded and costs $55 per person to share a small hot pool with 2-dozen other people. You decide.
Hmmm... What are the two passes? There is a downhill as one enters Durango - about 4 miles of 6% but you find bigger downhills on interstates. It's not a 'pass'. There are no passes on 84/285 from Santa Fe Skies to Cortez.The drive takes you thru Abiquiu, the home of the painter, Georgia O'Keefe. She lived there for a reason - the beauty is in her paintings. Yes, we like the scenic routes. There are also a couple nice Corp of Engineer parks to stay. We liked the Abiquiu one. Your route is through the Navajo reservation and wide open desert country. The route I gave is much prettier in my opinion but its good that we can have opinions. As for the Hot Springs, that certainly wasn't our experience. We've been there 3x and make it a point to go around 9 in the morning. Honestly, there were only a few people there and often we had a pool to ourselves. We usually stayed until 11-12. To each his own.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 07:28 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
There is one pass between Chromo and Pagosa. Sargent Pass, elevation 7,718 feet. And then again on 160 around Chimney Rock (which is now a National Monument). There is another smaller pass.

These are not much of an issue, but they are definitely there.

We just went through there in May from Santa Fe to Durango. Parts of the trip are really nice, but we still prefer the 550 to Farmington route.

But as you say, to each his own.

As to the Hot Springs we really wanted to like it, but $110 for the two of us and when we were there it was quite crowded. So, we skipped it. Maybe if we had paid up and gone it we would have loved it. I can't say.