Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2021, 02:38 PM   #1

Cracker Barrel Overnight Parking

I have heard about being able to stay overnight in some Cracker Barrels and Walmarts, etc. and wanted to know if it is ok to open at least one side of slides? We have a large class A motorhome and can't really access our bedroom very well without a slide out. What is the protocol for this and is it ok? Thanks in advance!
Sbarker105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2021, 02:47 PM   #2

We found at WalMart if you park on the outside perimeter with the slide overhanging the empty space it's just fine. However, parking in the middle of the parking lot could be dangerous for people walking who aren't used to a slide being there or cars driving next to it. Also, parking in the middle there's a possibility of runaway carts hitting your RV.

We haven't had good luck at Cracker Barrels. Their parking spaces are for customers and usually there's no way to park on the outside perimeter. Their lots aren't always large enough for RVs to take up the space.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 03:08 PM   #3

We do this type of O/N's a lot on our journeys to our destinations. If we are able to park on the perimeter and slide is over a gravelled or grassed area we put out partially if not fully. If we feel the slide would be exposed to being potentially hit by another vehicle or someone walking into it, then we keep it in.

Just use your discretion at each and every spot. Remember you can also check on Google Earth as to what the state of play is before you arrive at many places regarding O/N parking opportunities assuming business and city ordinance says OK to do so.
SomeDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 03:42 PM   #4

Many will say no, but I agree with the responses so far....if you are on the perimeter, not an issue. Also, if you come in later in the evening and leave earlier in the morning (ex. 8:00 or 9:00) hasn't been an issue for us. Use your discretion and you'll be fine IMHO.

Safe travels.
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 06:22 PM   #5

I don’t do Crackle Barrel or Walmarts
I might stay overnight in a Flying J, Loves, or Iowa 80 Truck stop.
But that’s it.
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 06:28 PM   #6

Don't do slides unless you are in a campground.
It's giving rvers that like to just pull over for a few hours sleep a bad name. You need a different RV if you want to travel that way.
BYoshida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 06:50 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Most Cracker Barrel parking lights are too small/ tight for big rigs. When I had my 41ft DP I only found 1 that I fit in. Now I have a 25 ft Class C and stay in them more frequently. I don’t put out my slide since my rig is fully usable with slide retracted. If you must open the slide park on outside edge so slide hangs over the grass.
mricet1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 07:02 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
We have only done it a couple of times and use the perimeter so we can open one side.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 07:40 PM   #9

Do what you need to do to operate and live in your RV.

With that said, be mindful/respectful of others property. I know slides are an often debated subject. The best way I can put it is in this context, are you impacting the business in any negative way? Are you parked diagonally, across 20 parking spaces in the front row with all of your slides out? Not ok, don't be "that guy". Are you parked in a manner to have minimal impact or no impact on the business and have your slides out? No problem at all.

Like most things in life there is no absolutely ok/not ok. Most of these things are situational.

Just wait until you ask about running your generator...... Apparently I am the rudest person every when I run my generator overnight boondocking because of all the other people that are disturbed by it. Somehow it does not mater that there is no one within miles that would even hear, it is "always" rude......
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 06:04 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
What I’ve been doing since we’ve had this 40’ DP rig (2017). PS slides come out about half the distance as the DS slides. Have only boondocked overnight at WallyWorlds. I always find a place on the perimeter furthest away from the people. Park with the PS towards the curb. Once situated and out of the way, I (now waiting for the [emoji33]) drop the jacks, and extend the 2 PS slides. The generator AGS is enabled and it will kick on, usually right before bedtime. The charge will last all night no no generator in the nighttime. We usually do overnight campgrounds, but this periodic parking lot docking since 2017 has worked for us, and hopefully, has been least intrusive to anyone else.
les.warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 08:19 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mricet1005 View Post
Most Cracker Barrel parking lights are too small/ tight for big rigs. When I had my 41ft DP I only found 1 that I fit in. Now I have a 25 ft Class C and stay in them more frequently. I don’t put out my slide since my rig is fully usable with slide retracted. If you must open the slide park on outside edge so slide hangs over the grass.
I agree that the parking spaces at Cracker Barrel are too small, we have not found any on our trips that we can fit in towing the jeep.
Old 05-28-2021, 08:26 AM   #12

We have never used Walmart or Cracker Barrel yet we are heading to Yellowstone and thinking of Cracker Barrel on the way out and back for two times. My wife suggested we call ahead to confirm an individual store allows it. Do we need to call ahead?

Thanks, John
john4455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 10:05 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4455 View Post
We have never used Walmart or Cracker Barrel yet we are heading to Yellowstone and thinking of Cracker Barrel on the way out and back for two times. My wife suggested we call ahead to confirm an individual store allows it. Do we need to call ahead?

Thanks, John
You do not need to call ahead, but unless you are sure they have RV parking I would find out. You might be able to look online.

Also they are first come first serve so I would have a back up plan. I have only been to a few CB and those ones only had a couple of spaces. These spaces were just long painted parking areas in the normal parking lot.

Also make sure you can get in and out of their parking lot. Are you sure their spaces are long enough for you? Looking at a satellite map really helps. The closest one to us might accommodate 45' total length and has 3 spots. I can not get in or out of their spots and even if I could they are too short. We park on the street when we eat there, have never overnighted there.
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 11:24 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by les.warden View Post
I (now waiting for the [emoji33]) drop the jacks, .....
You guessed right.... no jacks on hot blacktop. Have you ever seen the damage they can cause?
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
parking