Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-24-2020, 11:06 AM   #1

Creede, Co help needed

I'm putting together a summer trip to CO which includes 5 full days in Creede and I've found little info by searching on here. I plan to stay Mountain View RV park and have the following things on the agenda: a day in Lake City, shop Creede, Last Chance Mine, Clear Creek Falls. We only go where our car will go (no extreme driving) so my question is, what else should we see and do in the area (75 miles). We will be coming from several days in Pagosa Springs and going to Buena Vista after Creede. Thanks for your help.
Big Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2020, 11:49 AM   #2

Creede is very tiny. I'd suggest you rent a Jeep or get on a Jeep tour and take to the mountains. That is what's popular to do there. Enjoy!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 08:25 PM   #3

Go on over to Lake City. Although there is a tremendous amount of beetle kill trees it is still a beautiful drive.

Before you get into Lake City there is a cutoff to Deer Lake campgrounds. A nice side trip, probably 5 miles or so off the main road.
00 Buckshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 07:15 AM   #4

drive the old mine loop above town, easily done in any toad, awesome stops at old mines and views of the valley. Tour the mine museum above town also! Go check out Antlers Rio Grand rv/cabins/ restaurant on the river, have a relaxing dinner outside on the river! Bring a fly rod and fish the Rio Grand! Better yet, stay at Antlers Rio Grand and walk home after dinner and catch a trout!
#10050 GVWR, #18500 GCWR Smoke that!
gatorb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 10:49 PM   #5

We're planning to travel the Creede later this year too. We were also thinking about Cripple Creek, which is about 80 miles from Buena Vista.

Great info about the Antlers Rio Grande RV Park. I'll have to look into that for our trip too.
Old 01-25-2020, 11:27 PM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
From Lake City you can continue north down to and past Blue Mesa Lake to the Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park. There is a south side where the visitor's Center is and much more scenic north side. Get detailed directions at the visitor's Center.

Fishing can be good in Lake Fork Creek north of Lake City.

FYI, while driving in any of these areas be on the look out for wildlife, on or off the road. Lots of deer and elk and vehicles meet on the roads around there. I know. There's also mouse and black bears in that area.

In winter of 2018-2019 there were major avalanches in the Lake City area, destroying part of town. Some of the slides were over 100 ft thick across the roads and did not melt before this year's snow fall started accumulating. All of the main roads operating this past summer, but some back roads never did open in summer 2019.

Another fun option is ride the narrow gauge railroad between San Antontio, CO and Chama, NM over a beautiful pass.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 11:45 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
When you reserve a site at Mountain View know that there are two sides. One is the RV Park and the other the RV Resort. They are both nice, but the resort side is owned lots rented out. It offers larger sites with landscaping and usually concrete or paver pads. Many are pull in on a little creek.

They will usually ask if you want the RV Park or RV resort.
Old 01-25-2020, 11:46 PM   #8

Make sure you catch a performance at Creede Repertory Theater. A professional theater that USA Today says is “one of the top 10 places to see off broadway.” Right in downtown Creede.
Prontix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 09:39 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
When you reserve a site at Mountain View know that there are two sides. One is the RV Park and the other the RV Resort. They are both nice, but the resort side is owned lots rented out. It offers larger sites with landscaping and usually concrete or paver pads. Many are pull in on a little creek.

They will usually ask if you want the RV Park or RV resort.
Would you happen to know what the rate difference is between the Park and the Resort? I am looking into staying a month. Their website shows the Park monthly rate, but not the Resort rates.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 12:02 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dude View Post
I'm putting together a summer trip to CO which includes 5 full days in Creede and I've found little info by searching on here. I plan to stay Mountain View RV park and have the following things on the agenda: a day in Lake City, shop Creede, Last Chance Mine, Clear Creek Falls. We only go where our car will go (no extreme driving) so my question is, what else should we see and do in the area (75 miles). We will be coming from several days in Pagosa Springs and going to Buena Vista after Creede. Thanks for your help.
The Jeep suggestion is spot on.

When you arrive just start asking the Folks that come every year - there are many - they will more than fill your Plate for the 6 - short Days you are there.

You are in 4X4 Heaven - some of the most beautiful trail in the state - Fishing - Top Notch - Ouray and Telluride for great meals - Lake City and Silverton for some old Country Charm - Keep in mind you are on the Other side of the Mountain for Much that is in the San Juan's - .........

You might also look to see if you can find a week to spend in Ouray - It's that Good.

IMHO, there will not be a road or a drive that you will not remember ....

Best of Luck,

These links may help,

https://www.flickr.com/photos/michae...n/photostream/

https://www.pbase.com/sparker1/root%26view=tree

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f42/oura...it-442372.html
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 12:33 PM   #11

I am going to Lake City in a month and renting a Jeep. I plan on driving west on 20 to Engineers Pass which is above tree line. I did this years ago and the route is easy enough for a newby Jeeper like myself to drive. You might consider doing the same. I will look into the roads around Creede.
Old 05-28-2020, 12:46 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
Crystal Lake & Hiking Tail is an area worth stopping.
Old 05-28-2020, 01:35 PM   #13

Make sure you check the county website before you travel. Some counties may still have county-owned roads closed to non-residents.
Old 05-28-2020, 10:42 PM   #14

Alpine Loop is open as of 5/27. All roads are open into San Juan County so travelers can go from Lake City into Silverton. Weather is beautiful here so come on and enjoy!
Prontix is offline   Reply With Quote