Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-11-2022, 01:11 PM   #1

Critique my Yellowstone Plans

We'll be there early July.

We have a dog with us.

Leave early July 3 from Colter Bay heading to Grizzly RV Park in West Yellowstone, stop and see Old Faithful and the Inn on the way, arrive early afternoon to Grizzly, dog stays in camper during our stop.

July 4 leave @ 7am to Roosevelt Arch, Mammoth Hot Springs, wrap up and head back around noon, hit Norris Geyser Basin on way back to Grizzly, back by 3pm. Hang out in W Yellowstone for rest of July 4 holiday.

July 5 leave @ 7am to Grand Canyon of Yellowstone, hike multiple trails until noon, head over to Hayden and budget a couple hours there, back to Grizzly by 3-4 pm.

July 6 leave @ 7am to Grand Prismatic, depart Grand Prismatic around 10am, head over to Bridge Bay Marina for a boat rental and lunch out on Yellowstone Lake. Stop for Mystic Falls hike on way back to Grizzly, home by 4pm.

July 7 not yet planned out, wondering if any of the above should be swapped to this day. Not sure how much to budget in terms of travel time delays due to it being the height of the summer. Don't want to leave the dog alone for more than 8hrs.

We depart Grizzly on July 8 for Glacier...

Thanks.
Tdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2022, 01:31 PM   #2

Sounds good to me if you're comfortable with your dog being left so many hours each day. I hope he's not a barker or you may get complaints. Perhaps drawing the shades so he can't see other dogs walking by. Put on some soft music for background noise.

This may help you to refine any days. Google 'Yellowstone in 5 days' and there are others that appear. You'll have a great time!

For Glacier..... you'll need a reservation this year to drive the Going to the Sun Road:

https://www.nps.gov/glac/planyourvisit/conditions.htm

https://www.wellplannedjourney.com/y...one-itinerary/

https://viatravelers.com/yellowstone-itinerary/

Here's a video that may help:

twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 01:39 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Been to Ystone many, many times and son was a law enforcement ranger there.

1. Are you driving a toad or your RV into the park? Didn't see that specified.

2. Good you plan on leaving early as both south and west entrances can have significant backups.

3. May want to hit West Thumb geyser basin on your way in. Not too far out of your way. Also stop at Lewis Falls as usually you can park a larger rig on the right and walk back to the falls.

4. Speaking of Glacier, remember there's a vehicle length limit on Going to The Sun road.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 01:49 PM   #4

Thanks, twogypsies, yes I've watched that LOLOHO video, it's great. Pooch isn't a barker, and we regularly leave him for 7-8 hrs at a time.

RVThere, except for July 3, travel day, we'll be in our TV, a dually. Is there enough space at West Thumb to park a TV and 42' 5th wheel combo? I know we can at Old Faithful.

(Our dually is too long for Going to the Sun, so we have a Red Bus Tour booked)
Old 04-11-2022, 01:51 PM   #5

read on the national parks website there's alot of road construction slated for this summer in yellowstone.
check the website for areas of concern.
jeanluc001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 05:42 PM   #6

I think you are being incredibly optimistic on how fast you will be able to do the things you have planned. There will likely be bear jams, buffalo jams and just plain slow travel. Not all attractions are roadside so allow so additional time to see everything.

Also, be aware you will be at 8000+ foot elevations which can be very taxing even for people who are physically fit but are coming from near sea level.
Bigceasar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 06:58 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Too much planned with not enough time.
Charles L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 08:18 PM   #8

We spent a week in Yellowstone last October and traffic was incredibly slow and that was in the off season. Add the aforementioned road construction to the peak season and I think your schedule is optimistic.
John.W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 05:39 AM   #9

Ok, for those that feel the schedule is optimistic, what recommendations do you have?

On each day, the destinations are on the same route, so either I budget more time to see them, or I eliminate the end points of each route, which eliminates a lot of top destinations in the park.

It’s not like I’m trying to do all this in two days, so the time budgeting comments are confusing, also given that some people here don’t see an issue.
Old 04-12-2022, 07:55 AM   #10

Again, I am a seasonal hire at YNP and I do not think your plans are "overly" optimistic. Leaving earlier everyday would help and traffic from Madison Junction to West really starts backing up around 3:30. You might consider stopping earlier one day then returning to the park late afternoon. Lots of daylight that time of year. Your timing at Old Faithful/Inn is less than ideal. I have never tried to park a rig on the backside of OFI but there is a nice sized parking lot that does not used to the extent the main parking area does. Crowds will be huge but patience is the key. Enjoy.
Tridot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 09:04 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdave View Post
Ok, for those that feel the schedule is optimistic, what recommendations do you have?

On each day, the destinations are on the same route, so either I budget more time to see them, or I eliminate the end points of each route, which eliminates a lot of top destinations in the park.

It’s not like I’m trying to do all this in two days, so the time budgeting comments are confusing, also given that some people here don’t see an issue.
You asked for comments. If all you wanted was praise for your schedule you should have said so. Forget I said anything about your timeline being too optimistic, I only lived next door to the park for 13 years, what should I know.
Bigceasar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 09:23 AM   #12

Too much

You will spend a lot of time driving. Yellowstone NP is huge.
If I recall right the drive from West Gate to the Grand Canyon is well over an hour with little traffic. Maybe hit the gate at 6 instead of 7 and return to West Yellowstone later.
When we visited we were at the gate at the crack if dawn and many days didn't get back to West Yellowstone till almst dark.
Dawn and dusk are when the critters are out.
Gooma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 09:34 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigceasar View Post
You asked for comments. If all you wanted was praise for your schedule you should have said so. Forget I said anything about your timeline being too optimistic, I only lived next door to the park for 13 years, what should I know.
Lol, perhaps you missed this:

Old 04-12-2022, 10:12 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tridot View Post
Again, I am a seasonal hire at YNP and I do not think your plans are "overly" optimistic. Leaving earlier everyday would help and traffic from Madison Junction to West really starts backing up around 3:30. You might consider stopping earlier one day then returning to the park late afternoon. Lots of daylight that time of year. Your timing at Old Faithful/Inn is less than ideal. I have never tried to park a rig on the backside of OFI but there is a nice sized parking lot that does not used to the extent the main parking area does. Crowds will be huge but patience is the key. Enjoy.
Thanks, was hoping to hit Old Faithful before 10am to beat the crowds, but eruption schedule would impact that, too. Good to know about the back lot.

Tags
yellowstone