Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-12-2011, 07:54 AM   #1

Crossing into Canada

I was told that there is some special Vehicle Insurance Card needed for Canada. Others have told me that a typical Insurance card is fine. Anybody crossed recently and what did you find.
002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2011, 07:59 AM   #2

We get a certificate from State Farm indicating that we are covered in Canada. It's about the size of a 3X5 index card. Not all agents are aware of this - there was a recent thread here or on another forum about this subject. Ask your agent for the verification. It should be no big deal to get it.

GM
GreyMountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 11:33 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Same here, my State Farm agent provides me a certificate of insurance for Canada.

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 03:17 PM   #4

Think my SF agent called it an international card. We were never asked for any proof of insurance while crossing borders.
southland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 06:49 PM   #5
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I recently crossed into Canada. I called Progressive and they faxed a temporary card to my CG, and mailed a permanent one to the Stick House. It let's the Canadian officials know you are insured, should you need to let them know. Hopefully not.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 07:28 PM   #6

Ditto. Unlike Mexico, Canada recognizes U.S.A. insurance companies coverage. The coverage card for Canada is free, just restating that your insurance is valid in Canada.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 08:27 AM   #7

You will most likely not be asked for insurance verification at the border. It would come into play if you are involved in an accident in Canada. I've never been asked for insurance documentation when entering Canada.

GM
GreyMountain is offline   Reply With Quote