Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2018, 07:36 AM   #1

Custer State Park Fees?

If you have to ask it must be too expansive for me! Planning a trip in July cant find how much full hook up sites are? A link or any personal information would be helpful. Maybe suggest specific camp grounds???
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2018, 07:54 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeless View Post
If you have to ask it must be too expansive for me! Planning a trip in July cant find how much full hook up sites are? A link or any personal information would be helpful. Maybe suggest specific camp grounds???
The annual Bison roundup is September 28 this year...google it. It was on tv last night on Nat geo channel. My wife and I are going this year. It's at Custer State Park in South Dakota....looks really neat.

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 08:05 AM   #3

I was a volunteer at Custer State Park the summers of 2014, 2015, and 2016. The fee for a RV campsite with electric hookup was $25 per night with a 14 night maximum stay. It may have gone up, not sure. You will also need a Park Pass,which you can purchase at any of the entrance stations to the park, in addition to the camping fee. There is a weekly and an Annual Pass. Weekly was $15 and Annual was $30. Each campground has a shower house where there is a water available to fill your fresh water tank and there is a free dump station in the park. There are about 8 campgrounds in the Park. Game Lodge, Legon Lake, Blue Bell, and Sylvan Lake are the most popular. You can make a reservation online up to a year in advance. Center Lake, no hookups, is same day reservation. For more information you can call the Park Office directly at (605) 255-4515
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 01:33 PM   #4

This should help you with the various campgrounds. It looks like $19-$25 w/electric. No full hookups.

https://gfp.sd.gov/campsites/
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 02:43 PM   #5

I am going there in September...
Old 03-31-2018, 02:54 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I recommend Legion Lake - smaller, quieter, nice walking/hiking trails, some fishing, great night time sky views, occasional buffalo in the campground, good restrooms / showers - good access to the rest of the park ... and my 43' fits there ...
Old 04-04-2018, 05:23 PM   #7

The same day reservation for Center Lake is a scam by the state. If they did walkups, then they would only get to collect the camping fee, but you cannot do a walkup at Center Lake, you must go online and do a reservation, and pay the reservation fee, in addition to the camping fee.

Weekly park fee is $20 now.

I have played with the web site, hugely frustrating and darn near impossible to use. Cannot (that I see at least) any way to simply look and see what is open, the way you would with Recreation.gov. The SD website insists that you provide dates. Possibly you want to plan your trip around what is available rather than have it tell you the dates you selected were full. You eventually can, but you first have to plug in your length, width, amps, type of camper, etc and then it will produce a map that shows what is open and what is not. After that, you finally can switch to availability grid. You cannot just jump to the availability grid to begin with.

Charles
Old 04-04-2018, 05:30 PM   #8

We spent some time in Custer State Park last summer. It is certainly something you do not want to miss. I'm glad we stayed outside the park though. We were stuck in the middle of two different herds of those beasts. It wouldn't have been so bad except we were on our motorcycles! Not sure I would be impressed with them in my campground.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 06:47 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Georgie Boy Owners Club
We stayed at Horse Thief CG near Hill City and drove the toad over to see the round up.
Now in a Class C Coachman Leperchaun, trailer towing a 1950 Crosley Station wagon, or a '42 Pick-Up. Member of the Non-Affiliated Camping Group FMCA #F462997 RVM #146 Jon & Ellen
Eyephoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 12:45 PM   #10

We were in South Dakota last May and stayed at the Sylvan Lake Resort for a week. We hiked to the top of Mt Harney/Black Elk peak which is the highest peak east of the Rockies (with a lot of stipulations ).

Needles Highway is beautiful, Wind Cave is really nice, actually all the Black Hills and Badlands are outstanding. If you Geocache then Reflector City GCYWDG is a must cache but only in a 4 Wheel drive or vehicle with good ground clearance.

Never been to the Bison roundup but we seen hundreds while we were there. The only thing we did not see was Mountain Goats.

I would love to go back again but there are just to many places too see in this great country.

Heading for Lookout Mtn Georgia in a couple of days.

Camping in Custer
tyler811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 08:34 PM   #11

Not sure if the OP wants to stay IN the park or near the park but you did mention full hook-ups which I don’t think you can get in the park. End of May I am staying near the park at Happy Holidays. 41.40 for full hook-up.
BlakeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 02:39 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesinGA View Post
The same day reservation for Center Lake is a scam by the state. If they did walkups, then they would only get to collect the camping fee, but you cannot do a walkup at Center Lake, you must go online and do a reservation, and pay the reservation fee, in addition to the camping fee.

Charles
I am glad to see I am not the only person who felt the must make an online or phone reservation and pay a fee to do it plus the site fee is shady. No reason to not have iron rangers and have the camp host check that everyone has paid.

Seems to me there could maybe be an extra fee for walk up and using an iron ranger or paying the camp host but should not be an extra fee for me to do everything online and save them having to have folks check the iron ranger and compare to who is in what site and did they pay.

I wonder who is getting the kickback from reserve america or whoever to have that stupid policy.
jbrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 06:09 PM   #13

Staying at Blue Bell late July. Cannot wait.