Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-28-2022, 02:38 AM   #15

Workhorse Chassis Owner
About 20 or so miles east of Moran Jct in the Teton National Park is a small USFS campground named Hatchet Campground. It is dry camping and my be a little tight for 40' motorhomes. My 34' fits fine! I think this is a first come first serve campground.

Just a couple miles before that is Fireside Buffalo Valley RV Park. I've not stayed there but their website claims large sites and full hookups.

Both of these are easy drives into the Teton National park.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2022, 04:17 AM   #16

We made July 2022 reservations for Yellowstone in May 2021
Tetons the same
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 07:26 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Take the time to have her do the Junior Ranger Program in the parks. Neat experience for children.... and you'll learn a lot, also.

Have you tried Gros Ventre campground in the Teton Nat'l Park? They have some electric sites; rest are dry camping but it's a favorite campground of ours. There's also Headwater's RV Park and Colter Bay RV park.
I haven't found an opening for any of these. Sounds like I need to try harder as B says rt22 is a bear. Is it worse than going thru RMNP?

I looked again and there is something.....thanks for the tips to y'all!!!
Old 01-28-2022, 07:47 AM   #18

Quote:
Just a couple miles before that is Fireside Buffalo Valley RV Park. I've not stayed there but their website claims large sites and full hookups.

Both of these are easy drives into the Teton National park.
I have stayed at Fireside and it is big rig friendly.
Tridot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 07:51 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Spartan Chassis
Found only 1 site and its at colter bay campground site 330. Is this a good one for a 40'?

Booked as it was the last one. Will cancel if find better.

What is the best route from Valley View RV Park in Island Park to Colter Bay Campground? Google sends me via 22, which sounds like I should avoid.
Old 01-28-2022, 08:21 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfg9585 View Post
Found only 1 site and its at colter bay campground site 330. Is this a good one for a 40'?

Booked as it was the last one. Will cancel if find better.

What is the best route from Valley View RV Park in Island Park to Colter Bay Campground? Google sends me via 22, which sounds like I should avoid.
Don't do RT 22 in the Coach, known as a Transmission Killer - Now with the roads closed in the Park - Winter - you will not get Google to route you through the Park - from Island Park to Victor I'd stay in Idaho - from Island Park to Jackson I'd go through the Park - both are beautiful drives - seeing the Tetons from the West is just Different. Honestly I'd try to drive BOTH ROUTES - my sorta drives.

Sounds like you are getting this all sorted out - lots of cancelations so if you find a place you like talk with them to put you on their list for cancelations, it will likely work out.

Twogypsies has a lot of info on sites - Me NONE.

Keep on searching ,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 01:34 PM   #21

This is Site #330. Unfortunately, it doesn't show the whole site. The roadside sites are pretty long - usually. Look at #338 and others for an idea. Slides might be an issue. I don't recall if those are one-way roads otherwise you could come in from the other direction. (Scout your route by parking your RV and using your car.)

https://www.campsitephotos.com/campg...colter-bay-330

From Island Park you can go south on 20 to Thornton then weave your way (look on a map) to Hwy 26 east. That area is flat.

Take 26 east along the river (flat) to Alpine then north thru Jackson - big grocery stores before you come to Jackson and good place to fuel up (extremely busy) into Teton NP and Colter Bay campground.

OR... from Island Park go to West Yellowstone and into Yellowstone then through the park to Colter Bay. Get an early start before it gets crowded. Once you get to Yellowstone Lake crowds will thin out dramatically heading south.

Have you looked at Moran, WY?

https://www.campendium.com/wyoming/moran
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 05:01 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
This is Site #330. Unfortunately, it doesn't show the whole site. The roadside sites are pretty long - usually. Look at #338 and others for an idea. Slides might be an issue. I don't recall if those are one-way roads otherwise you could come in from the other direction. (Scout your route by parking your RV and using your car.)

https://www.campsitephotos.com/campg...colter-bay-330

From Island Park you can go south on 20 to Thornton then weave your way (look on a map) to Hwy 26 east. That area is flat.

Take 26 east along the river (flat) to Alpine then north thru Jackson - big grocery stores before you come to Jackson and good place to fuel up (extremely busy) into Teton NP and Colter Bay campground.

OR... from Island Park go to West Yellowstone and into Yellowstone then through the park to Colter Bay. Get an early start before it gets crowded. Once you get to Yellowstone Lake crowds will thin out dramatically heading south.

Have you looked at Moran, WY?

https://www.campendium.com/wyoming/moran
I'm happy with 330 based on that pic. I guess my question after that would be, is the campground in a good location or should I look at Moran, or others?

I like this, especially if its crowded or I have already been this way in my Jeep.

"From Island Park you can go south on 20 to Thornton then weave your way (look on a map) to Hwy 26 east. That area is flat.

Take 26 east along the river (flat) to Alpine then north thru Jackson - big grocery stores before you come to Jackson and good place to fuel up (extremely busy) into Teton NP and Colter Bay campground."
Old 01-28-2022, 08:29 PM   #23

Quote:
I'm happy with 330 based on that pic. I guess my question after that would be, is the campground in a good location or should I look at Moran, or others?
I'd stay at Colter if you can & it's OK with you. Go to the campfire ranger programs with your granddaughter & other ranger programs during the day. As time gets closer explore the park's web site for lots of good information on things to do, any closures, etc. (There's not a schedule posted yet.)

She'd love a gentle raft trip on the Snake River in the park. She might even see a moose in the water, also. We did!

https://www.nps.gov/grte/planyourvis...r-programs.htm
Old 01-29-2022, 07:05 AM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Spartan Chassis
Thanks to all for your help! I got some really good info. One final question; Are there any requirements like a ticket similar to RMNP required for timed entry into either Yellowstone or Teton?

Just came across my answer when I jumped to another thread....

https://www.outsideonline.com/advent...iuHRhPaMlq8FfA
Old 01-29-2022, 12:18 PM   #25

Quote:
Thanks to all for your help! I got some really good info. One final question; Are there any requirements like a ticket similar to RMNP required for timed entry into either Yellowstone or Teton?

Just came across my answer when I jumped to another thread....

https://www.outsideonline.com/advent...iuHRhPaMlq8FfA
I'd recommend you check with the park directly in spring to see if any changes. You don't want to be surprised! Have a wonderful trip with that granddaughter. She'll surely remember it! We've done the same with our grandchildren who are in their 20's now and they still talk of the places and thank us for giving them the chance of seeing them.
Old 01-29-2022, 01:25 PM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
I'd recommend you check with the park directly in spring to see if any changes. You don't want to be surprised! Have a wonderful trip with that granddaughter. She'll surely remember it! We've done the same with our grandchildren who are in their 20's now and they still talk of the places and thank us for giving them the chance of seeing them.
Thanks a bunch!
Old 02-03-2022, 08:58 AM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Spartan Chassis
Quick question.... For Teton NP, I have a site reserved in Colter Bay Campground that its very tight and on the back row (O). I might not even be able to put some of my slides out, which could be OK. My question is, not knowing the area, if I could get a spot in Jackson in a private campground would I be advised to do so, or do I have the primo spot in Colter Bay?
Old 02-03-2022, 03:28 PM   #28

From Custer to Cody........no problem......straight through.

From Cody to W.Y. -- in June -- count on being stalled by flat landers that stop in the road to look at bears. Do NOT scream at the family.

From w.y. to Tetons........forget about the Wyoming side. Go south to Rexburg and approach the Tetons from the WEST side. Prettier, lovely sunSETS.......and no crowds (or tourist traps).
picker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yellowstone