Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2022, 01:59 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Spartan Chassis
Custer to West Yellowstone

In late June heading from Custer to W.Y. I have 3 days to make this trip. After W.Y. I will likely stop at the Tetons. NP.(5 days) After Tetons my next stop will be at Newmar Int. Rally in Rock Springs on 7/15.

Would this be a good order of stops and what would the best routes be. Never been to this part of country so totally new. Hills not too much of an issue. Been thru RMNP towing my Jeep.....

Thanks much!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2022, 02:42 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfg9585 View Post
In late June heading from Custer to W.Y. I have 3 days to make this trip. After W.Y. I will likely stop at the Tetons. NP.(5 days) After Tetons my next stop will be at Newmar Int. Rally in Rock Springs on 7/15.

Would this be a good order of stops and what would the best routes be. Never been to this part of country so totally new. Hills not too much of an issue. Been thru RMNP towing my Jeep.....

Thanks much!
Order will work just need more time for YNP and the Tetons.

JMHO,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 08:56 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Spartan Chassis
I will be in YNP for 7 days and Tetons for 5. I have this for my time as our 6yr old granddaughter will be with us as in previous trips. So far she is not a hiker\explorer type so most of our time will be driving to view from the road. This worked on our 2021 trip thru 10 parks. Maybe one day she'll become an explorer and we'll do some serious hiking, just hope we are still able when it happens.

Between Rushmore and YNP what should our POIs be, or should we just make it a leisurely drive.

Where do we stay at for the Tetons?
Old 01-27-2022, 09:02 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I think 7 and 5 days is more than adequate time to do these parks justice for visiting.

I would enjoy the drive as well. If you are coming from Mt. Rushmore there is Devil's Tower area to stop and see. Doesn't take too long to see it but it is an interesting and worth while stop. Then if not in a hurry maybe swing by Worland area then up to Cody, WY as the museum in Cody is awesome.

As for where to stay while in Teton NP, we generally stay in Colter Bay RV Park. It is a little tight in some sites but you are smack dab in the middle of the forest and trees. My only complaint was the last time the pollen from the trees covered our coach's roof and slide toppers which needed a heavy cleaning when we got home. The several times before that however, we got nothing on the coach so it was definitely an anomaly that year/visit.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 09:18 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmotorsports View Post
I think 7 and 5 days is more than adequate time to do these parks justice for visiting.

I would enjoy the drive as well. If you are coming from Mt. Rushmore there is Devil's Tower area to stop and see. Doesn't take too long to see it but it is an interesting and worth while stop. Then if not in a hurry maybe swing by Worland area then up to Cody, WY as the museum in Cody is awesome.

As for where to stay while in Teton NP, we generally stay in Colter Bay RV Park. It is a little tight in some sites but you are smack dab in the middle of the forest and trees. My only complaint was the last time the pollen from the trees covered our coach's roof and slide toppers which needed a heavy cleaning when we got home. The several times before that however, we got nothing on the coach so it was definitely an anomaly that year/visit.
Think you getting Real Good Info ^^^^^^^^Here.

We were there in 2020 for a couple weeks with 5 of the 6 Grandaughter's - they actually had as much fun out of the Park as in it - we stayed in Island Park area out of West Yellowstone and use the many Lakes and Streams for recreation - our Girls love the Water - with a couple blow up Paddle Boards and tubes they stayed Happy and entertained. We love the Tetons and can sit on the lake and stare at them for Days - so I think your time will be Great - Be sure to visit the Lodge and enjoy Cody - it is pretty neat.

Will be crowded, just keep that in mind and Bring your refreshments as they were hard to find in 2020.

We did all this on the fly with no reservations making it really interesting, the Black will will also be fun - great drives and a lot of good short hikes.

Almost missed this - Between Rushmore and YNP what should our POIs be, or should we just make it a leisurely drive.

Wind River Canyon - Water in Thermopolis - Look at the drive into the Tetons and West Yellowstone through Dubois, as you crest the Continental Divide the images is Unforgettable of the Tetons - Awesome!

Best of Luck,
Old 01-27-2022, 10:39 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Spartan Chassis
I am finding it VERY hard to find a spot for the Tetons. Nothing is avail for 7/10 thru 7/15. We don't mind boondocking, but prefer FHUs. Thoughts?
Old 01-27-2022, 11:01 AM   #7

Quote:
I am finding it VERY hard to find a spot for the Tetons. Nothing is avail for 7/10 thru 7/15. We don't mind boondocking, but prefer FHUs. Thoughts?
Thinking Jackson - or out toward Dubois - we are no reservation People so we Boondock a lot - but there are places, just need to search really hard.

Might need to get on a cancellation list.

Sorry not much help,
Old 01-27-2022, 11:07 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
Thinking Jackson - or out toward Dubois - we are no reservation People so we Boondock a lot - but there are places, just need to search really hard.

Might need to get on a cancellation list.

Sorry not much help,
Been looking around Jackson. Don't see any boondocking places on Campendium. Are here some that can hold a 40ft motorhome?
Old 01-27-2022, 12:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Been looking around Jackson. Don't see any boondocking places on Campendium. Are here some that can hold a 40ft motorhome?
Try this older post - https://www.irv2.com/forums/f38/head...ns-476805.html

I seldom even remember any CG - as we just find something so I will be of Little Help - Might start a new post with the Specific question.

We generally spend little time in a CG as we are usually on the Road in the Toad or Hiking into the Parks we are visiting, so I honestly do not keep track of most of them.

Wish I could be of More Help.
Old 01-27-2022, 12:36 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Spartan Chassis
Found something in Victor Idaho... little ways away but they have good refund policy......will keep looking for closer spot. But have one in the bag!

Now onto my return to Colorado for Jeeping. Busskipper you got me hooked on CO.
Old 01-27-2022, 01:16 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

Now onto my return to Colorado for Jeeping.
Hell yeah, now we're talkin'. We love our annual trips to Ouray/Silverton.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 01:39 PM   #12

Quote:
Found something in Victor Idaho... little ways away but they have good refund policy......will keep looking for closer spot. But have one in the bag!

We stayed in Victor when the Boys need web service - enjoyed it - not that close but close enough - RT 22 is a true 10% grade, really not good to do in the Coach - how do I Know - yup I did it in the Coach so go around in the Coach or unhook, as it is a Bear,

For Great Jeeping in Colorado I suggest you look into Lake City -just Beautiful and the Alpine loop is to die for. Lot of great trails off RT 24 west of Leadville along with many off Independence Pass past Twin Lakes. To be honest hard to go into the Mountains of Colorado and not have a Trail.

Enjoy your trip sounds like it will be Great.
Old 01-27-2022, 04:54 PM   #13

Quote:
I will be in YNP for 7 days and Tetons for 5. I have this for my time as our 6yr old granddaughter will be with us as in previous trips. So far she is not a hiker\explorer type so most of our time will be driving to view from the road.
Take the time to have her do the Junior Ranger Program in the parks. Neat experience for children.... and you'll learn a lot, also.

Have you tried Gros Ventre campground in the Teton Nat'l Park? They have some electric sites; rest are dry camping but it's a favorite campground of ours. There's also Headwater's RV Park and Colter Bay RV park.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 09:27 PM   #14

Quote:

We stayed in Victor two years ago. I think Teton Valley Resort is about the only game in town. It was a decent park, but they seem to be trying to squeeze as many rigs in on what little land they have, so you might get to know your neighbors a little more than you'd like.

If you're going to Jackson or the Tetons from there, you'll take Highway 22 over Teton Pass, which has some pretty long 10% grades as said earlier. We left the coach in Victor and drove the toad. If you want to get to Jackson and the Tetons in the coach, you're better coming in on US191 from the south and avoiding Teton Pass.

Hwy 33 north to US20 is the best way to get from Victor to West Yellowstone in a big rig. I'm thinking we actually went 33 to 32 to US20 to bypass some construction taking place on US20 at the time. 33 and 32 were both fine roads. One little bit of 32 got a little twisty as I recall, but nothing too bad.

Tags
yellowstone