Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-18-2009, 06:37 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Dakota to the Keys!!

Hi iRV2'rs!!

Not quite sure what this forum section is about, but......

Well, we got out of Dodge (ie., left Mitchell area/South Dakota) on Sept. 29th.... JUST ahead of the cold and (shudder ) SNOW, and have migrated South to our current stop here at "The Marina" COE (Corps of Engineers) campground located RIGHT at the locks connecting the cross Florida waterway between Ft. Myers and Lake Okeechobee. While campground is COE, it accepts AOR (and some other cards) and, at least for us is a good stop over for a few days since it's easy visit distance to friends over in Punta Gorda & Ft. Myers.

The Marina park has about 140 sites, some pull through, full hook ups, easy maneuvering for big rigs, laundry, showers, boat ramps, wi-fi, and........gators!!!! It located RIGHT at the foot of the locks and watching boats locking through is fun. At night, gator hunters in air boats are sometimes across the channel in the swamps bordering the big lake hunting gators but they're shut down by midnight-ish.

Came South to Kansas City, then down to Mtn. View, Arkansas for a week of Ozark "picken & grinnen" (WONDERFUL venue), then down through Memphis, Jackson, MS and to the Gulf Shores area near Pensacola.

Stayed in a variety of money saving parks along the way since we're going to splurge for our stay on the Keys. Been a great trip so far and REALLY looking fwd. to a little "kick back time" in Margauritaville . Bye for now. Steve, Lynette, and da cats!!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2009, 05:55 PM   #2

Yes you will splurge in the Keys... everything costs about double than in FL so stock up on what you can.. enjoy the warm weather
Old 10-18-2009, 07:00 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I wish i could remember which exit, but I can't. It is just South of Vero Beach on I-95, that is having a fuel war between two truck stops. A few weeks ago when I went by, Diesel was $1.12. Do not know if it is still true, but the war has been going on, off and on, all summer. You can see their signs with price from the highway.
Old 10-19-2009, 12:54 PM   #4

Glad you got out before the cold hit here we are just warming up agian here in SD and mitchell area heck you was very close to my back yard then. have a good time down in the warm south
NOTAZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 07:12 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
NOTAZ06: Hi from WARM Bluewater Key here in Florida. So, where ya from around Mitchell. We hang out in Milltown, SD, just East of Parkston. Got family ALL over the place,....Mitchell, Parkston, Tripp, Platte, Sioux Falls, etc.

Yup, we just by a hair, beat the snow out of Mitchell area....Whew!...that was a close one....HA! Steve
Old 10-25-2009, 09:14 AM   #6

Lucky you guess i can say very envious right now we are kinda in the cold wet spell again. I actually live Straight North of Platte about 35-40 miles north of 90

How long do you guys stay down there all winter or do you just travel the south for the winter? could be fun. When I finnally decide to kick the farming this for awhile i have considered going Full time with a trailer and my race car and visiting diffrent tracks across the US
NOTAZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 07:24 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
NOTAZ06: G'morning from the Keys!!

Well, to answer your question, we DO kinda migrate and hang out down South during the winter months. Though my wife grew up in Parkston, SD we originally lived up in Duluth, MN where we retired from, sold the house and stuff, and hit the road full time in our rig in late 05. Been on the road ever since and REALLY enjoy it!! No more snow for us!!!!......except traveling through the mountains occasionally.

During the winter months we move around between Florida (where our son and his family live) and on West over to Arizona and points in between (Louisianna, Texas, etc.). During spring, summer and fall periods we kinda move North, visiting family and friends back in Duluth, or hanging around Mitchell, or exploring Canada, Alaska and/or the more Northern tier states from Oregon/Washington on East over to Maine area.

Anyway, we're currently enjoying this Key West area and the warm, humid sea breezes. We'll then head on up to the Tampa area for Christmas with the grandkids then will head West at the end of January when our son again leaves for deployment to Afghanistan....dang!!

Enough for now. It'd be fun meeting you guys sometime down the road, so if ya fire up that Adventure, let us know where ya might be headed. We like, and often stay over in the Hills. Bye for now.

Steve & Lynette