Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-14-2020, 12:16 AM   #1

Dallas, TX area

Hello everyone!

We are looking at land outside of the Dallas area.....North east of Dallas in the McKinney/Allen area. Outside of the city limits if we can.

If you were to be traveling to the Dallas area or through the Dallas area:

What area on the north side of Dallas be the most appealing for you? Would you want closer to Dallas or more rural?
Definitely open to hearing any and all pros and cons for that area when it comes to location and amenities? Lake front or close to a lake?
Or
Would this be more of a “one night stand” as you are passing thru?
Where being close to the interstate would be the most appealing.

Thanks!
DalLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2020, 07:00 AM   #2

I can say that I live 30-40 mins north of Dallas and it’s not far enough! My buddy just bought 2 acres up in Valley View. Beautiful piece of land. If it were me, I’d go rural. I’ve got 4 yrs until I’m eligible to retire. That’s when I’ll start looking for land.
Old 06-14-2020, 08:03 AM   #3

Get as far away from that crazy interstate as possible!
psmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 08:08 AM   #4

Are you looking for a place to live or looking to buy a piece of property to build an RV Park? The two have almost nothing in common.
kcdogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 11:07 AM   #5

It sounds like the OP wants to build a RV park.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 08:27 PM   #6

Yes. This would be to build an RV park.

Yes, hate the city traffic and noise. Why I do live out away from all of it.

Thanks!
DalLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 08:53 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Well we are planning a trip there Sept/Oct with our trailer and there doesn’t seem to be many parks close to the DFW area.

We’ve visited a few times w/o trailer and I always look for rv parks close enough to be able to take in the city sights, and there just doesn’t seem to be any that I’m aware of.

We will be visiting our son in Grapevine so if anyone knows of a place in the area it would be appreciated!
CNPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 10:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNPH View Post

We will be visiting our son in Grapevine so if anyone knows of a place in the area it would be appreciated!
Can't believe your son didn't mention this park. It's right in Grapevine. We went there when visiting our daughter when it was a Corp of Engineer park.

https://www.vineyardscampground.com/
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 10:33 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DalLife View Post
Yes. This would be to build an RV park.

Yes, hate the city traffic and noise. Why I do live out away from all of it.

Thanks!
People going to the Dallas area are going to want to be as close to the city as possible, not out in the boonies. People who live in the metro area would want high amenities to justify a stay-cation. I don't believe it would be possible to build on one of the area lakes, since they are all Corp or Engineer properties. If you build minimal amenities in the outskirts of the Metroplex you will likely quickly become low income housing. (See Lighthouse RV Park in Melissa on US75)
kcdogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 10:03 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Thank you “twogypsies”, much appreciated! We will definitely check it out. I’ve searched a few times online and that park never came up. Our son has only been there about 18 months and is still trying to learn the area.
CNPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 06:05 PM   #11
MnP

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNPH View Post
Thank you “twogypsies”, much appreciated! We will definitely check it out. I’ve searched a few times online and that park never came up. Our son has only been there about 18 months and is still trying to learn the area.

Another park to look at is Northlake Village in Northlake TX. It’s 13 miles west of Grapevine. The Vineyards and Northlake Village are both 10-10-10 parks, are very popular and will require advance reservations. Decent RV parks are hard to come by in the DFW area and all involve traffic. We are full timers and 30 year residents of Grapevine prior to going full time.
MnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 06:41 PM   #12

We have done several short term stays in DFW associated with my job. When I have to work at the Dallas office (downtown) we stay at Traders Village in Arlington. The commute is not bad and DW likes Traders Village. They need a better place to walk dogs but we like it.

I worked on a large construction job site in the Alliance area for several months and we stayed at Northlake and The Vineyards. The Vineyards is the by far our favorite. The only criticism I have for The Vineyards is that the laundry room (and the rest rooms) are not air conditioned...it screams Corp of Engineers Park - not 10-10-10 RV Resort/Park. Even with that slight blemish IMHO, it is hands down our fav.

We have spent one night at Yogi Bear south of Fort Worth...not our bag of tea + seemed overpriced. Maybe if you had the kids or grandkids. We have stayed at the KOA Arlington and DW was creeped out by the guy in the dirty fifth wheel across from ours who sat under his front overhang smoking and staring at her all day. We won’t go back. A co-worker stayed at Treetops Arlington while he was building a nearby hospital and spoke very highly of it - but it is farther away from my Dallas office so we will stick with Traders Village when I have to work in the office.
MikenDebbie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 10:11 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
When we visited #3 son in Dallas, we stayed north of Dallas just west of (or maybe part of) Frisco. We liked being out of the 'crazy' and Hidden Cove RV and Marina fit the bill. The area is pretty new with some new streets were not on the map and lacks the 'density' found south. It's been a few years since then so no telling what kind of growth has occurred. No other CGs in the area that we saw in our area travels. Oh, and the CG had full hookups w/30 A and some 50A service.

https://www.google.com/search?gs_ssp...hrome&ie=UTF-8

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 09:55 PM   #14

Sanger and Denton, north of the lake.
lo-tek is offline   Reply With Quote